Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774148 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #840 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »
Sorry, I'm not going to play your games.

What games?

I asked a question and for reasons only you can explain you continue to refuse to answer it

Perhaps you did not understand the question  :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #841 on: January 30, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Julia Gillard but I was outraged by the events on Australia day. To voice an opinion or peacefully protest is our right in this great democratic country but to treat our leaders with that sort of disrespect is an embarrassment to all of us who call ourselves Australian.

And no one arrested or charged? A disgrace!

To witness those who burnt our flag & watching those kids spitting on the flag was also disgusting.
The club that keeps giving.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #842 on: January 30, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Julia Gillard but I was outraged by the events on Australia day. To voice an opinion or peacefully protest is our right in this great democratic country but to treat our leaders with that sort of disrespect is an embarrassment to all of us who call ourselves Australian.

To witness those who burnt our flag & watching those kids spitting on the flag was also disgusting.

Yes.

Imagine if the Aboriginal flag was burnt and spat on, on Australia Day.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #843 on: January 30, 2012, 11:58:24 PM »
What also is a disgrace is this current government.
One minute lying, next minute it's gross incompetence.

The whole lot of them are a rabble. Inciting violence on Australia day what's next....Plagiarizing speaches from hollywood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvrNldmt1eA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Even reached spanish news
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFsehtKxFx4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I will say it again. Worst government in the history of Australia!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #844 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »

Have to say that is the bit that really "irks" me the fact not one person was arrested on the day and no one's been charged - that's disgraceful

What is as equally disgraceful/distasteful is either side of politics trying to turn this is a political point scoring exercise.

It reall is a pity our elected representative on both sides cannot do or seem to be unable to do what they are actually supposed to be there for

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #845 on: January 31, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »

Have to say that is the bit that really "irks" me the fact not one person was arrested on the day and no one's been charged - that's disgraceful

What is as equally disgraceful/distasteful is either side of politics trying to turn this is a political point scoring exercise.

It reall is a pity our elected representative on both sides cannot do or seem to be unable to do what they are actually supposed to be there for
WP, the disgrace is that the media men in the ALP tried to manufacture racial tension by lying to people @ the tent embassy that Tony Abbott said something he never meant.
It nearly worked for them until someone leaked to Ray Hadley who it was from the prime ministers office that instigated the riot.
You have to admit that this whole situation is discraceful & dirty politics.
Tony Abbott has done nothing wrong here but the ALP looks stupid once again. 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #846 on: January 31, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
WP, the disgrace is that the media men in the ALP tried to manufacture racial tension by lying to people @ the tent embassy that Tony Abbott said something he never meant.
It nearly worked for them until someone leaked to Ray Hadley who it was from the prime ministers office that instigated the riot.

Firstly, Mr Tigra I never said Abbott did anything wrong, read my posts on this topic I actually defended him and as you know I don't rate him as leader or a politician but in this case I dont think he did anything wrong nor did he say anything wrong when he answered that "question"

I agree the media bloke from the ALP who has quit I might add was a moron. And what he did was stupid and unforgiveable. But if you are going to throw stones then throw some at the air head union official who when you come to think of it should be in politics simply for her "flip flop" techniques. Let's hold her to account as well. And please don't let the actual protesters off here which seems to be happening while all this "playing politics" is going on. Their collective behaviour was disgraceful

It doesn't matter how it happened, who caused it, who didn't caused it let's not lose sight of the fact that what happened last Thursday should not happen at any time in this country. People can protest about what ever they like as long as they do it peacefully and without terrorising people 

What I have a problem with is we now have BOTH sides of politics (and I include the independants & greens here as well) treating this situation as some way of again trying to score political points. Because that is dirty politics too IMHO

It doesn't matter which side of politics you sit on or what you think of the person holding the highest office in the country people or what you think of the person who holds the title of alternate PM we all should respect the postitions and what they stand for - that is what is getting lost here and that's the biggest disgrace of all

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #847 on: January 31, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »

It would be a disgrace if it happened. Funny how you condemn something then sink to the same level yourself.

The main culprit was Barbara Shaw, an aboriginal activist who is not a member of any political party.

A quote from a CLP candidate who was at the rally

But she says anti-intervention activist Barbara Shaw alerted people at a gathering marking the 40th anniversary of the tent embassy in Canberra to the whereabouts of Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott.

"I witnessed a man jump on stage and what he told her Tony Abbott was just on radio, and he was going to come out and take their tents down," Ms Healy said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-27/20120127-nt-focus-tent-embassy-protest/3796378/?site=darwin&section=news

Considering she plays for the team you barrack for, she would be all over it like a rash if any of the sworn enemy had been involved.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #848 on: January 31, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »

Firstly, Mr Tigra I never said Abbott did anything wrong, read my posts on this topic I actually defended him and as you know I don't rate him as leader or a politician but in this case I dont think he did anything wrong nor did he say anything wrong when he answered that "question"

I agree the media bloke from the ALP who has quit I might add was a moron. And what he did was stupid and unforgiveable. But if you are going to throw stones then throw some at the air head union official who when you come to think of it should be in politics simply for her "flip flop" techniques. Let's hold her to account as well. And please don't let the actual protesters off here which seems to be happening while all this "playing politics" is going on. Their collective behaviour was disgraceful

It doesn't matter how it happened, who caused it, who didn't caused it let's not lose sight of the fact that what happened last Thursday should not happen at any time in this country. People can protest about what ever they like as long as they do it peacefully and without terrorising people 

What I have a problem with is we now have BOTH sides of politics (and I include the independants & greens here as well) treating this situation as some way of again trying to score political points. Because that is dirty politics too IMHO

It doesn't matter which side of politics you sit on or what you think of the person holding the highest office in the country people or what you think of the person who holds the title of alternate PM we all should respect the postitions and what they stand for - that is what is getting lost here and that's the biggest disgrace of all
yes WP, I applaud you on your support for Tony on this issue.
In some way I feel extremely sorry for the PM here.
The way she was treated & what she had to endure on that day was disgusting. It seems she had no clue what Hodges was up to. As much as I dislike her she is our PM & as Graham Richardson said on radio this morning she has some very incompetent people behind the scenes as Kevin '07 did when he was PM.
The ALP are a complete rabble & this is just more proof IMO.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #849 on: January 31, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

It would be a disgrace if it happened. Funny how you condemn something then sink to the same level yourself.

The main culprit was Barbara Shaw, an aboriginal activist who is not a member of any political party.

A quote from a CLP candidate who was at the rally

But she says anti-intervention activist Barbara Shaw alerted people at a gathering marking the 40th anniversary of the tent embassy in Canberra to the whereabouts of Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott.

"I witnessed a man jump on stage and what he told her Tony Abbott was just on radio, and he was going to come out and take their tents down," Ms Healy said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-27/20120127-nt-focus-tent-embassy-protest/3796378/?site=darwin&section=news

Considering she plays for the team you barrack for, she would be all over it like a rash if any of the sworn enemy had been involved.
what are you talking about here? Are you accusing me of inciting racial tension?

gerkin greg

« Reply #850 on: January 31, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #851 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »

You are too quick to jump on my comments sometimes.

Fact is that if he had said nothing then the whole debacle would not have happened.

Going by that rationale, if the reporter that asked Abbott the question re the tent embassy decided to go for a crepe rather than ask the ridiculous and provoking question she did, nothing would have happened either.  ::) How far do you want to go back on this 65? We could go as far as had the reporters father kept it in his pants on the proposed evening of conception, nothing would have happened either.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #852 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »

:rollin After that I'm going for a can of Fanta!

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #853 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »

Fact is that if he had said nothing then the whole debacle would not have happened.

Going by that rationale, if the reporter that asked Abbott the question re the tent embassy decided to go for a crepe rather than ask the ridiculous and provoking question she did, nothing would have happened either.  ::) How far do you want to go back on this 65? We could go as far as had the reporters father kept it in his pants on the proposed evening of conception, nothing would have happened either.

Fact is Tony A is a loose cannon when he is not tightly scripted.

Sooner Turnbull takes over the better.

Not sure who I want to replace Julia, maybe Shorten.

:thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #854 on: January 31, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

Fact is Tony A is a loose cannon when he is not tightly scripted.

Sooner Turnbull takes over the better.

Not sure who I want to replace Julia, maybe Shorten.

:thumbsup
Its all about interpretation. "Its time to move on." was all that was said. In the 40 odd years it has existed, the Tent Embassy has achieved nothing for the indigenous people of this country. Abbott in his statement could have meant that we need to pursue a more constructive and formal process of mediation rather than sticking to a ramshackle representation of their plight.
The government tried ATSIC but it was proven to be a monumental failure and showed that corruption and nepotism knows no boundaries.

So 65 I put to you this question. In your own words, as a nation what do we have to do to constructively "move on" from the Tent Embassy?