Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774774 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1320 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:34 PM »
whats the point of putting something through parliment if it may be repealed in 6 months time?

It's up to Mr Rabbit and his looney mates to come out now and say yay or nay.
the ball is in their court.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1321 on: May 02, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
whats the point of putting something through parliment if it may be repealed in 6 months time?

The greens and ALP will block the repeal of the levy in the senate. Also given the shape of the budget I doubt Abbott will repeal this levy.
At the end of the day I believe the liberals will vote in support of the levy they have nothing to gain out of voting against it.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1322 on: May 02, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »

If this doesn't happen before the election its all Gillard's fault. The independents and The Greens has voiced support for the levy so it can pass even without the liberals support in voting for it. She should put it up for a vote in parliament instead of playing wedge politics through the media.

rubbish!

Getting Abbott to commit before the election is the only way of maximising the chance that he will keep it after the election.

It is not about politics it is about a policy that we need to do.

:cheers

Abbott and the liberals support the policy. This is about how they will fund it. They either fund part of it through Gillard's policy of raising the medicare levy or they find the full funding through general revenue which will mean more cuts in other spending area's.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1323 on: May 02, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »

The greens and ALP will block the repeal of the levy in the senate. Also given the shape of the budget I doubt Abbott will repeal this levy.
At the end of the day I believe the liberals will vote in support of the levy they have nothing to gain out of voting against it.

Another justification for calling a double dissolution.

Which is Tony's real aim in all of this.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1324 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »

thats if they still have the numbers after the election.

if they are going to vote for just come and say it and get on with it, FFS.
Thats the problem with these turds, they just want to constantly throw a spanner in the works.

even when they were in power all Hockey did was tell us how bad the opposition was rather doing his job in governing the country.

65, i dont think abbot wants a double dissolution after the next election.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1325 on: May 02, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »

Thats the problem with these turds, they just want to constantly throw a spanner in the works.

even when they were in power all Hockey did was tell us how bad the opposition was rather doing his job in governing the country.

He will not get control of the Senate as it is only a half Senate election.

So Abbott wants the double dissolution ASAP so he can get control of both houses and proceed with his "not-so-hidden" agenda.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1326 on: May 02, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »

He'll go to a double dissolution over the carbon tax. This election will be a mandate on it. If the ALP lose I think they will accept it and vote along with the liberals in repealing the carbon tax similar to what the lib's did with work choices after their 07 election lose.

Abbott is within his rights to ask Gillard to proved details on how they will fully fund the NDIS when voting for the levy. Swan will have that detail in the budget though so that won't be a problem when it comes time to vote for the levy.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1327 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »

He'll go to a double dissolution over the carbon tax. This election will be a mandate on it. If the ALP lose I think they will accept it and vote along with the liberals in repealing the carbon tax similar to what the lib's did with work choices after their 07 election lose.

Abbott is within his rights to ask Gillard to proved details on how they will fully fund the NDIS when voting for the levy. Swan will have that detail in the budget though so that won't be a problem when it comes time to vote for the levy.

The Carbon tax repeal might well have the ALP's support so he needs another trigger for a double dissolution.

The repeal of the Medicare levy increase will give him one.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1328 on: May 02, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »

If this doesn't happen before the election its all Gillard's fault. The independents and The Greens has voiced support for the levy so it can pass even without the liberals support in voting for it. She should put it up for a vote in parliament instead of playing wedge politics through the media.

rubbish!

Getting Abbott to commit before the election is the only way of maximising the chance that he will keep it after the election.

It is not about politics it is about a policy that we need to do.

Abbott and the liberals support the policy. This is about how they will fund it. They either fund part of it through Gillard's policy of raising the medicare levy or they find the full funding through general revenue which will mean more cuts in other spending area's.

Responsible financial management is not in Labor's DNA, never has been, never will be.  The closest they have ever and will ever come to being responsible with OUR money is when Keating was Treasurer and he was as far removed from a typical Labor man as anyone I've seen.  His economic reforms were valid, timely, managed and opened our country up to trade with the world, and he didn't go down the path of 'spend til you drop' that seem to be a blind affliction of Labor governments since time immemorial.  it's just a shame that his ego had to get in the road and make him drive for the top job because he was a crap Prime Minister who led a subsequently crap government.

Abbott has no option than to ask for evidence of how the scheme is going to be funded.  It's an election year, he is a very good chance of leading the next government and the economy is in a complete mess.  It would be derelict of him NOT to ask for that evidence because it's most likely that he is going to inherit the commitment to fund it in the future and all the signs are there that he won't have a brass razoo to do that with.  Raising the Medicare levy doesn't even pay for half the commitment so it's just another example of Gillard making ad hoc and knee jerk policy decisions based on nothing more than sentiment and public perception, and without thinking for one minute about how she is going to pay for it or the consequences to the economy as a whole.

A few of you are blaming Abbott and saying he has the agenda - Swan on 7.30 last night refused to commit to introducing the legislation despite having the support of the Independants and Greens which would see it passed.  All he could do was blame the Liberals and say it was their fault the legislation wasn't being introduced.  And Macklin was no different on Q&A - she also refused to commit to introducing the legislation despite having the numbers to get it passed, instead choosing to just blame Abbott.  Yeah, that's who's fault it is that the legislation is not introduced, that's who's fault it is the country is in a diabolical financial mess, that's who's fault it is that we are now faced with the prospect of Medicare rises, GST rises and carbon taxes - none of which should never ever ever have needed to be on the table or considered if this rabble had discharged it's duty to the country with any element of responsibility.  And the most embarrassing part of this whole saga is that many successive governments have badly neglected and let down the disadvantaged and disabled among us, and the blame cuts across all party lines.  It's shameful that we even need to politically squabble about how to fund this critical component of what we should stand for in this country - a fair go for all and a compassion for those who cop a raw deal.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1329 on: May 02, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »

Rubbish

But it's a mute point now as the PM has said to day she is taking the legislation to parliament

Let's see if the Opposition Leader is true to his word and supports the legislation

No excuses, no playing politics just get it done

And the most embarrassing part of this whole saga is that many successive governments have badly neglected and let down the disadvantaged and disabled among us, and the blame cuts across all party lines.  It's shameful that we even need to politically squabble about how to fund this critical component of what we should stand for in this country - a fair go for all and a compassion for those who cop a raw deal.

:clapping :clapping

You are right Smokey and that is why now that the NDIS is out there it's time to put aside the bickering, point scoring and just get this done.

Believe it our not I don't care who thought of it, which govt is introducing it; I just want it done so those who are so often forgotten (especially those who no longer have family to look out for them) get a fair go and the assistance they deserve. They've been neglected for far too long

And yes I am like a dog with bone on this issue, it's personal 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1330 on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »

Rubbish

But it's a mute point now as the PM has said to day she is taking the legislation to parliament

Let's see if the Opposition Leader is true to his word and supports the legislation

Its not rubbish for the government to be held to account over policy being introduced into the house and passed. The ALP blaming Abbott for not getting it passed before the election when Gillard has the support of the independents and the greens is rubbish.

At the end of the day the NDIS is going to come about because it has bipartisan support whether that is by funding part of it via a levy increase or fully funding it out of general revenue.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1331 on: May 02, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »

Its not rubbish for the government to be held to account over policy being introduced into the house and passed. The ALP blaming Abbott for not getting it passed before the election when Gillard has the support of the independents and the greens is rubbish.

Once again, getting Abbott to commit to and vote for the legislation before the election will make it harder for him to repeal it after the election.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1332 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »

Rubbish

At the end of the day the NDIS is going to come about because it has bipartisan support whether that is by funding part of it via a levy increase or fully funding it out of general revenue.

Held to account? All Govts should be held to account but in this case regarding this program both sides should stop the crap and get on with it rather than trying to score points. Both sides are doing and it's digusting TBBH

BTW If it has bipaertisan support let's see how the coalition votes in both houses. If they really support it they will vote in favour of it end of story

End of the day I don't give a rats how it gets through as long as it gets through.

But please don't blame the current govt if it doesn't go through before the election. Blame both sides of poilitics for squabbling over it 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1333 on: May 02, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »

Rubbish

Held to account? All Govts should be held to account but in this case regarding this program both sides should stop the crap and get on with it rather than trying to score points. Both sides are doing and it's digusting TBBH

BTW If it has bipaertisan support let's see how the coalition votes in both houses. If they really support it they will vote in favour of it end of story

End of the day I don't give a rats how it gets through as long as it gets through.

But please don't blame the current govt if it doesn't go through before the election. Blame both sides of poilitics for squabbling over it

There is no need for squabbling because the government has the numbers to pass the levy with the independents and the greens. The only squabbling happening is due to Gillard trying to wedge Abbott to support her levy or announce what he will cut to fully fund the program. As I posted earlier in the thread I believe the liberals will back the levy.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1334 on: May 03, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »