Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766189 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1380 on: May 14, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
Samsung already testing 5G.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22507512

I was saying this when the NBN was first mooted but we really need to invest in the future.

It's time to invest in wireless instead of wasting money on a rollout that will be already outdated by the time it's finished.

That goes for both sides of politics.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1381 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
1Gbps over a distance of 2km is still a bit behind fiber optics.
the main thing though is not so much speed , but bandwidth.

i remember one of the libs complaining the NBN wouldnt reach capacity for 50 years. not sure where the notion that the nbn will be outdated by the time its finidhed. i think i read somewhere that the physical limitations of fiber optics hasdnt been reached yet.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1382 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »

I was saying this when the NBN was first mooted but we really need to invest in the future.

It's time to invest in wireless instead of wasting money on a rollout that will be already outdated by the time it's finished.

You will still need fibre optic to the wireless nodes (not copper)

:thumbsup

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1383 on: May 14, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »

You will still need fibre optic to the wireless nodes (not copper)

:thumbsup
Fair enough but do we need it to every house?

To every hospital and school I can understand.
I'm all for upgrading the system but I think wireless is the way to go.
If every school has the infrastructure then can't upgraded wireless technology feed off it?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1384 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »
well it looks like a govt is going to have the guts to do something about this middle class welfare.

News services reporting the baby bonus is goneskis

Payment now going to be $3k 2k for the first child and then $1k for the next and it will for only those receiving family benefit A

Plenty of folks will be sooking but it's about time

:clapping :clapping
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:49:49 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1385 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »
well it looks like a govt is going to have the guts to do something about this middle class welfare.

News services reporting the baby bonus is goneskis

Payment now going to be $3k for the first child and then $1k for the next and it will for only those receiving family benefit A

Plenty of folks will be sooking but it's about time

:clapping :clapping

Probably a good thing. Family Tax payments are a bigger rort so hopefully they will do cut that.

Maybe they can also have the guts to apologise for the debt they have now put us in.

2  things WP

1.  No mention of PPL so majority of people won't care about BB cuts. PPL handout delivers quite a bit more. 9k approx vrs 5K

2. Matters little this budget because the ALP won't be around to deliver on any of this, as they will be goneski. Not worth the paper it's written on

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1386 on: May 14, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »
2. Matters little this budget because the ALP won't be around to deliver on any of this, as they will be goneski. Not worth the paper it's written on

Certain things will be delivered not matter who's in office daniel - current govt will entrench certain programs NIDS, Education reforms that will lead to the Coalition being stuck with them like it or not - I think it's called being "guzumped"

And BTW I think Tony & Joe will be thanking the current Govt  ;D because the Swan is announcing the same cuts the Coalition would need have to (if they were honest about it) to fund their promises and get the economy back in surplus. Hard work re spending cuts wise is being done for them; they don't have to make the tough calls they can just point the finger of blame and if we are all honest Tony & his team are very good at that  ;D :thumbsup

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1387 on: May 14, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »

Certain things will be delivered not matter who's in office daniel - current govt will entrench certain programs NIDS, Education reforms that will lead to the Coalition being stuck with them like it or not - I think it's called being "guzumped"

And BTW I think Tony & Joe will be thanking the current Govt  ;D because the Swan is announcing the same cuts the Coalition would need have to (if they were honest about it) to fund their promises and get the economy back in surplus. Hard work re spending cuts wise is being done for them; they don't have to make the tough calls they can just point the finger of blame and if we are all honest Tony & his team are very good at that  ;D :thumbsup

WP the NDIS has bipartisan support stop falling for labor spin that they are the only party for it. Also I don't believe any government should entrench any policy that a current/future gov't can be stuck with. Imagine if Howard done that with workchoices ALP would be up in arms over not being able to repeal it.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. Every cut Swan makes saves a future liberal government from having to make it. But lets be honest more cuts and bigger cuts need to be made. Swan is only cutting around the edges and just announced a forecast 19 billion deficit which no doubt will end up being bigger.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1388 on: May 14, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »

WP the NDIS has bipartisan support stop falling for labor spin that they are the only party for it. Also I don't believe any government should entrench any policy that a current/future gov't can be stuck with. Imagine if Howard done that with workchoices ALP would be up in arms over not being able to repeal it.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. Every cut Swan makes saves a future liberal government from having to make it. But lets be honest more cuts and bigger cuts need to be made. Swan is only cutting around the edges and just announced a forecast 19 billion deficit which no doubt will end up being bigger.

I am well aware that the NDIS now has bipartisan support.

But the fact remains that it is the current govt are the ones who bought it to the table. It was never on the coalition's agenda.

Say what you like about the Gillard govt but the NDIS is the most important social program of the last 30 years at the very least. It will be their legacy and it is one they should be congratulated for and proud of.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1389 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »

Samsung's 5G will complement NBN, not replace it

Date May 14, 2013 - 3:27PM
Adam turner

Super-fast wireless will never make fibre obsolete.

Samsung has reportedly "witnessed" one-gigabit-per-second wireless download speeds over a distance of two kilometres in its 5G trials. In theory such speeds would let you download an entire movie in seconds, on par with the gigabit speeds which the NBN will eventually deliver. So it's time to scrap Australia's national broadband network and just go wireless, right? Wrong.

Samsung's so-called 5G wireless technology is still in the test phase and is at least seven years away from commercial deployment. Even if you could roll out this technology today, you're not going to get gigabit speeds in real world conditions. The laws of physics dictate that wireless bandwidth is a shared resource and congestion is the enemy. The more people using a wireless network at once, the slower their download speeds and upload speeds. Not to mention the fact that wireless technologies are prone to interference and black spots, unlike a strand of fibre running to your door.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/samsungs-5g-will-complement-nbn-not-replace-it-20130514-2jjlw.html#ixzz2TIUKCcuw

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1390 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
WP the NDIS has bipartisan support stop falling for labor spin that they are the only party for it.

Great biapartisan support on show this morning in parliament

Bill put forward to raise the medicare levy to cover the funding of the NDIS and hardly any opposition pollies there.

Great show of bipartisan support right there  ::)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1391 on: May 15, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
WP the NDIS has bipartisan support stop falling for labor spin that they are the only party for it.

Bill put forward to raise the medicare levy to cover the funding of the NDIS and hardly any opposition pollies there.

Maybe the libs have had enough of her spin, like most Australians have.

I heard Swan last night on ABC couldnt answer the question how this government has continually made a profit yet blown it all.

Like this BB. Cut it but raise other family benefits. JH spot on they take it from one hand give it you in another and call it something else.

Lucky we have a few months left of the budget surplus dribble they kept harping on about that will not happen for a long time.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1392 on: May 15, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »

Maybe the libs have had enough of her spin, like most Australians have.

I heard Swan last night on ABC couldnt answer the question how this government has continually made a profit yet blown it all.

Like this BB. Cut it but raise other family benefits. JH spot on they take it from one hand give it you in another and call it something else.

Lucky we have a few months left of the budget surplus dribble they kept harping on about that will not happen for a long time.

With all due respect daniel, I don't give a stuff what side of politics you sit on if you say are going to support something and in particular something as important as the NDIS then you show up to support. That is true bipartisan support

As for the BB you are smart bloke even you should be able to see that there is a genuine saving being made here. Joe can as well but to say so would go against what this opposition has been about for the last 2 and half years.  ;) (Cue Groucho Marx in Horse Feathers  ;D)

If the BB was been given out at $5-6k per first child (not sure of the exact amount because we've never rec'd it) and now that is going to be only $2k per first child and it's to be means tested as part of family benefit A surely that is a saving :huh yes or no. To say it isn't going to generate an overall savings is simply not true

Now before you go and throw in cost of PPL. If PPL remains but the BB goes and is replaced by $2k payment that is means tested surely a saving is still in play.

As i said yesterday Tony & Joe are happy that the Gillard govt are the ones making the tough calls on spending cuts, saves them having to do it. Only thing they have to come up with and hopefully tells us is how they intend to fund their promises and bring the budget into surplus. Something up until this point they've refused to do and no doubt will continue to refuse to do until they have to

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1393 on: May 15, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
Good 'ol Julia getting all emotional again.   :lol

Question is..... which Julia is it?   :shh

This government has sure given us something to laugh about that's for sure.   :thumbsup

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1394 on: May 15, 2013, 12:58:48 PM »
Good 'ol Julia getting all emotional again.   :lol

Question is..... which Julia is it?   :shh

This government has sure given us something to laugh about that's for sure.   :thumbsup

Let me get this correct.

You are laughing at the Prime Minister getting emotional about the introduction of the NDIS?