Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774615 times)

dwaino

Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1725 on: September 17, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1726 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »
 :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1727 on: September 17, 2013, 02:05:35 PM »

And wait there's more...

'Women of merit' - a smokescreen for sexism
By Sue Boyce 

To pretend that a few outstanding Liberal women MPs constitute a thoughtful approach to gender equality is nonsense.

I was embarrassed when our Coalition Cabinet line-up was confirmed - one woman in Cabinet, no matter how outstanding that one is, is not enough, writes Sue Boyce.

If I hear the phrase 'woman of merit' one more time, I'll, I'll…do something drastic.

When was the phrase 'men of merit' last used? Is every male MP a 'man of merit'?

Good, then let's stop this nonsense about waiting for 'women of merit' to spontaneously arise within the Coalition parties to join the Cabinet.

'Women of merit' is a term used by ultra-conservatives who want to maintain the status quo - it's a smokescreen for sexism.

There have been numerous extraordinary and outstanding Liberal women MPs over the years - my Queensland predecessor Dame Annabelle Rankin comes to mind; Julie Bishop is a current example; but to pretend that a few outstanding women constitute a thoughtful approach to gender equality is nonsense.

I was embarrassed when our Coalition Cabinet line-up was confirmed - one woman in Cabinet, no matter how outstanding that one is, is not enough.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/boyce-women-in-politics/4962620

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1728 on: September 17, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »

Liberal backbencher Dennis Jensen hits out at science 'confusion' in new ministry

By chief political correspondent Emma Griffiths

Tony Abbott is facing more dissent from within Coalition ranks, with Liberal MP Dennis Jensen criticising not only his leader's decisions regarding the placement of portfolios but also the signature policy on paid parental leave.

Dr Jensen, the Member for the West Australian seat of Tangney, has told ABC News 24 he is "confused" about which minister will handle the science portfolio.

Yesterday, Mr Abbott said science would "largely" be in the industry portfolio, under incoming minister Ian Macfarlane.

But Dr Jensen, who had expressed interest in taking on the responsibility, believes some of it will be within education.

"I'm somewhat confused about what's happened with the science portfolio. It's not just completely with the industry portfolio, there's parts of it within education which will make it a somewhat schizophrenic policy area," he said.

"This is something that to me is strange.

"I mean we've got a Minister for Sport for God's sake, but we don't have a Minister for Science."

and

Jensen has 'problems' with PPL plans

Dr Jensen has also ramped up his criticism of Mr Abbott's multi-billion-dollar paid parental leave (PPL) scheme, which the incoming Prime Minister has said he is "deeply" committed to.

"The problem is this is an idea that someone has had which has then become policy and I believe that it hasn't been properly thought through at all," he said.

He wants the policy to go to the Productivity Commission for a cost-benefit analysis, and has held out the possibility of voting against it when it comes before Parliament.

"I'd have to wait and see where the policy goes," he said when asked if he would support it.

"Right at the moment, it's fair to say that I have problems with it."

He says he has had dozens of constituents contact him about the policy and they were "not in favour of it".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/dennis-jensen-hits-out-at-science-confusion-in-new-ministry/4962898

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1729 on: September 19, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »

Part of the reshuffle of portfolios includes Tony Abbott taking responsibility for women's issuess.

Portfolio details spell out Tony Abbott's role as women's minister

Abbott takes primary responsibility for women's issues, along with Indigenous affairs, deregulation and national security

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/18/tony-abbott-womens-minister-portfolio

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1730 on: September 23, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
And we wonder why economic growth was stifled and businesses were crippled over the past 6 years:

Deregulation program will pave the way for productivity growth

Josh Frydenberg
    The Australian
    September 23, 2013 12:00AM

IN the five years from mid-2007, multi-factor productivity declined across the country by 3 per cent.

Last year the respected Economist Intelligence Unit ranked 51 countries for productivity growth, with Australia coming in second last, ahead of only Botswana.

Even Reserve Bank governor Glenn Stevens has weighed in, calling for more action and less debate on the productivity front, saying "improving productivity growth is just about the sole source of improving living standards".

Now the Coalition has returned to government, we have the opportunity to implement the very policies that will reverse our declining productivity and put Australia's economy back on track.

One of the most effective ways to boost productivity is via the micro-economic reform agenda of deregulation.

It is an area where Labor failed and the Coalition must succeed.

In little more than 5 1/2 years, Labor was responsible for introducing more than 21,000 additional regulations, despite Kevin Rudd's promise of a "one regulation in, one regulation out" policy. This dramatically increased the burden on big and small businesses alike. Peak industry bodies were aghast.

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry surveyed its members and found that 73 per cent of businesses felt the compliance burden had increased in the past two years.

The Minerals Council found that the average thermal coal project in Australia was being delayed by more than a year compared with similar projects overseas.

And the Business Council of Australia has highlighted one resource development approval process that took years, was extremely costly and required a 12,000-page report, after which approval was finally granted with 1500 commonwealth and state conditions and 8000 subconditions attached.

Such an avalanche of green and red tape stifles investment and innovation, seriously hurting the economy. Unfortunately, under Labor this message never really got through. Even Julia Gillard's own Borthwick-Milliner review last year of her government's regulation impact assessment processes found that "a widespread lack of acceptance of and commitment by ministers and agencies" was a serious impediment to their effective use.

It is this culture under Labor - where passing new regulations was adopted as the default position, as opposed to only when it is absolutely necessary - that the Coalition is determined to change.

A paradigm shift will soon be under way. Driven by the Prime Minister and permeating down through his ministers and the public service, the government will adopt a new comprehensive, considered approach to deregulation. One-stop-shop environmental approvals, streamlined medical research grant processes and transferring the responsibility for administering the paid parental leave scheme from small business to the Family Assistance Office are just some of the immediate priorities.

Not to mention the positive impacts on business that will flow from the abolition of the carbon tax with its 19 separate acts and 1100 pages of legislation, and the mining tax with its 11 separate acts and 525 pages of legislation.

The cabinet, parliament and the bureaucracy will all be galvanised around the deregulation process. Ministers will be required to include regulatory impact statements in their submissions as well as establishing their own ministerial advisory committees from which they will seek recommendations on cutting red and green tape.

Two parliamentary sitting days will be set aside for repealing legislation each year - an initiative not too dissimilar to that under way in other jurisdictions such as the US, where the House of Representatives has regular repeal days under what is known as the Corrections Calendar.

And the performance of senior members of the public service will be assessed in part according to their proven record in reducing regulation, with their remuneration calculated accordingly.

The Productivity Commission will also be tasked to determine a framework for auditing the performance of regulatory agencies.

In the words of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, "regulators have tended to adopt an unduly risk-averse approach to the administration of regulation and are often overly bureaucratic in their interactions with business".

It is essential to the deregulation-productivity agenda that commonwealth regulators do better than this and administer the regulations in a more efficient and effective manner.

In addition to pursuing this groundbreaking whole-of-government approach at the federal level, the Coalition is also determined to promote an active inter-governmental agenda that will lead to the federal, state and territory governments working in sync.

The Council of Australian Governments will be an important vehicle in this regard, promoting deregulation as a standing agenda item to ensure that the Prime Minister, premiers and chief ministers can agree on the removal of duplicative and overlapping regulations wherever they are found.

With the Prime Minister's own department now taking responsibility for the Deregulation Unit previously housed in Finance, the Prime Minister is well placed to lead this charge.

In today's global economy the deregulation agenda has never been more important.

With our economic competitors improving all the time, we cannot afford to pursue anything other than world's best practice.

While cutting $1 billion a year of red and green tape may seem like a daunting task, it is absolutely vital. The quality of our economic future depends on it.

Josh Frydenberg is parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister with responsibility for the Abbott government's deregulation agenda.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/opinion/deregulation-program-will-pave-the-way-for-productivity-growth/story-e6frgd0x-1226724729098#

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1731 on: September 23, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »
To summarise

"We are going to screw the working class to make the rich richer"

:cheers

gerkin greg

« Reply #1732 on: September 23, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
i thought the aztec calendar predicted the world would end when tony and his daughters got elected?

still here?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1733 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
Wish this thread would end FFs

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1734 on: September 23, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »

I have another three years of political anti-rabbit comments to make.

For example.

Have you heard Tony's latest three word slogan?

Now he is going to "Hide the Boats"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1735 on: September 23, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

"If 400 people drown in the ocean and Tony doesn't tell anybody, did they really die?"

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1736 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

"If 400 people drown in the ocean and Tony doesn't tell anybody, did they really die?"

Good point now we can have "Hide the Bodies" as well

:banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1737 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »

The only sounds I hear are the screams of thousands of drowned souls because a pompous, egotistic, self-centred believer of their own hype changed a policy that was working for all parties involved - our country and the asylum seekers.  I hope the votes and adulation the arrogant seeker of attention received were worth the blood he has on his hands.

And how left wing of you and '65 to forget the deaths under Labor yet gloat about the possibility of it under a Liberal government.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1738 on: September 23, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

For example.

I don't see how they are hiding the boats when all they have changed is instead of having a media release every time a boat arrives they just hold a press conference once a week detailing the boat numbers.  1965 you need to stop repeating the ALP spin its getting old.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1739 on: September 23, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »

For example.

I don't see how they are hiding the boats when all they have changed is instead of having a media release every time a boat arrives they just hold a press conference once a week detailing the boat numbers.  1965 you need to stop repeating the ALP spin its getting old.

THEY HAVE MADE THIS CHANGE FOR POLITICAL REASONS>

AND FOR NO OTHER REASON.

DON'T BE SO EFFING BLIND.