Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766273 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1815 on: October 17, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »

and why is he suddenly deciding to repay?

Probably the same reason all the rest of them (both parties, many times, many years) did.  What is your point exactly?  You have been magnificently reticent in bringing any Labor politicians to task on this same issue!  Do you believe there should be a tightening and strengthening of the guidelines that apply to politician's travel entitlements?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1816 on: October 17, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »

I am not alone in my opinion

Yes Slipper is guilty but so is this arse wipe.

At face value without the benefit of an official police investigation I certainly agree with you.  It would appear from the media-provided facts that this guy is every bit as guilty as Slipper and should be dealt with accordingly.  But that has been my stance all along '65 - I'm not so sure you have been willing to view it from a neutral viewpoint and makes me a it bemused that you believe it is all one-party related, especially from someone that has gone on the record here as saying that if Turnbull were leader he would have voted Liberal.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1817 on: October 17, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
all any of this highlights is just how low the australian voting public will accept of the standards of their politicians and then just argue that the other side does it as some sort of justification.

Only two prime minsters have suffered a fall in approval ratings so soon after being voted in, Gillard and now Abbot, but as Ive said before, we get the government we deserve.

.....and nicola roxons comments should not be swept aside so casually. what that git ended up being was a long way off what was portrayed, but that is the way our democratic system works.

as Winston Churchill said, democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried, and that the best argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1818 on: October 18, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »

Now the Libs are turning on themselves.

Abbott, Brandis face federal police probe
Date October 18, 2013
Mark Kenny, Daniel Hurst, Heath Aston

Expenses claims by Tony Abbott and Attorney-General George Brandis have been referred to the Australian Federal Police, and a senior Liberal has been urged to resign by one of his own colleagues as the expenses scandal continues to dog the government.

West Australian state Liberal MP Rob Johnson has called on Mr Abbott to dump the embattled federal WA Liberal Don Randall over a taxpayer-funded trip to Cairns with his wife in November, 2012.

That cost $5259 and has not been explained beyond the two words ''electorate business''.

The Randalls took possession of an investment property in Cairns at the time - a fact recorded in the parliamentary register of members' financial interests just a week after the Cairns visit.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-brandis-face-federal-police-probe-20131017-2vpqw.html#ixzz2i0XbDWqF

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1819 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
Hey '65, you do realise that all the pieces you kindly quote to us every morning are just opinion pieces written by left wing journo's?  I could saturate this thread with just as many similar right wing generated pieces that will paint a picture of good stable government getting on with fixing all the broken bits but they would be just as irrelevant to the reality of it as your articles.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1820 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:48 AM »
all any of this highlights is just how low the australian voting public will accept of the standards of their politicians and then just argue that the other side does it as some sort of justification.

Only two prime minsters have suffered a fall in approval ratings so soon after being voted in, Gillard and now Abbot, but as Ive said before, we get the government we deserve.

.....and nicola roxons comments should not be swept aside so casually. what that git ended up being was a long way off what was portrayed, but that is the way our democratic system works.

as Winston Churchill said, democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried, and that the best argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter

Where did you get your ratings figures from Al?  I haven't seen any of the normal polls come out since the election.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1821 on: October 18, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »
heard it mentioned on the radio the other day. The didnt say ( or i didnt hear) what the poll was or the actual results, just that they are the only two prime ministers to have have suffered such a drop in approval/popularity so soon after being elected

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1822 on: October 18, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
it was heard on the radio it must be true.

Id rather wait for the polls mate.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1823 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
 :lol oh no. cant have something bad said about your beloved tony now, can we?

winston was pretty much on the money

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1824 on: October 18, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »

Tony is fast becoming the worst Prime Minister in history.

And he is not the one in charge, somebody else is pulling the strings.

:shh

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1825 on: October 18, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
Spill the beans '65, I love a good conspiracy theory!   ;D

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1826 on: October 18, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »

next to the previous government of 07-12 he is an angel. No one has died under his parties botched scheme's yet from what i recall.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1827 on: October 18, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »

al have you got 65 on mute or something???

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1828 on: October 18, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
Spill the beans '65, I love a good conspiracy theory!   ;D

Credlin's 'star chamber' rewarding Liberal Party loyalists

October 5, 2013
Heath Aston

Prime Minister Tony Abbott refers to her as ''the boss'' and Peta Credlin is proving why, stamping her authority on the make up of the government.

Fairfax Media has learned Ms Credlin, who steered Mr Abbott's path to The Lodge as his chief-of-staff, is deciding every government appointment from top ministerial aides right down to the electorate staff of new MPs.

She sits at the head of the government's ''star chamber'', which has already knocked back some applicants put forward by cabinet ministers.

Sitting on the star chamber panel are federal Liberal Party director Brian Loughnane - Ms Credlin's husband - along with John Howard's former chief of staff, Tony Nutt, and ministers Michael Ronaldson and Kevin Andrews.

Appointments already made suggest a strong emphasis on previous experience in the Howard years of government and a direct working connection to Mr Abbott or Ms Credlin.

''It's fair to say they are putting the Howard band back together but there are three key categories: Credlin loyalists, Abbott loyalists and Howard loyalists,'' said a Liberal source.

Credlin loyalists include Jane McMillan, who has stepped across from Australia Post to head up the Prime Minister's media unit. The pair worked together as staffers for senator Helen Coonan in the Howard government.

Ms Credlin has appointed Andrew Hirst as deputy chief of staff. He has been promoted from the ranks of the media team, having previously worked with her in Brendan Nelson's office in opposition.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/credlins-star-chamber-rewarding-liberal-party-loyalists-20131004-2uzyu.html#ixzz2i1vAoyC1

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1829 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
Parental leave may trigger revolt

October 17, 2013

Mark Kenny

Chief political correspondent

Tony Abbott may have a more pressing challenge than convincing Labor to abandon its carbon price - keeping his own senators in line over issues such as his generous paid parental leave scheme.

Simmering resentment within the Coalition parties over both policy and personnel within the still new Abbott government, including anger at what one called ''the iron fist approach'' of the Prime Minister's office, has increased the possibility of an outbreak of ill-discipline as early as the new year.

Rightly or wrongly, some MPs blame Mr Abbott's chief of staff, Peta Credlin, alleging she has exercised excessive influence over everything from policy priorities to public appearances by senior ministers.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/parental-leave-may-trigger-revolt-20131016-2vn0x.html#ixzz2i1w4lVLE