Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766304 times)

dwaino

Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #1875 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1876 on: November 08, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
Bishop made it clear that she would not be getting her hands dirty
with the detail of how the aid axe will fall.
That will be left to her parliamentary secretary, Senator Brett Mason, whose fine human rights credentials are about to be put to the torch.
In her speech to the conference, Labor's shadow foreign affairs minister, Tanya Plibersek, declared what was once a bipartisan position: ''The fundamental goal of Australia's aid policy should be to overcome poverty and improve lives.'' In an
ad-libbed dig at Bishop, she added: ''Maybe that's a new benchmark.''
It also took Plibersek to make the crucial point that targeted and well-managed foreign aid is making a huge difference. Six million fewer children died in 2012 than in 1990, and the developing world is on track to halve the number of people living in poverty by 2015.

Just two days before the federal election, the Coalition finally announced how it planned to balance its budgetary books. And the biggest figure on the back of treasurer-in-waiting Joe Hockey's beer coaster was a $4.5 billion cut in the projected foreign aid budget over four years to help fund ''essential infrastructure'' in Australia.
''We can't continue to fund a massive increase in foreign aid at the expense of investment in the Australian economy
,'' Hockey declared

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-shame-that-is-abbotts-foreign-aid-policy-20131101-2wrxt.html#ixzz2k0zhhbcd

:help

How many Ukrainians died when Stalin pulled the food?

How many Africans die when Tony pulls away the food money?

An open letter to Mr Abbott: Invest in foreign aid for a prosperous Australia

Dear Mr Abbott,

Congratulations on your election as Prime Minister of Australia.

As CEO of CARE Australia, which last year helped 3.6 million people across 26 developing countries, I welcome your commitment this week to better leverage NGOs’ experience to deliver on-the-ground support for some of the poorest and most marginalised communities around the world.

owever, your decision to cut $4.5 billion from the foreign aid budget will have a devastating impact on people living in poverty across the globe and in many of our neighbouring countries. Australia – and Australia’s last Liberal Prime Minister, John Howard – made a historic promise to contribute 0.5 per cent of Australia’s Gross National Income to overseas aid as part of the Millennium Development Goals. While I welcome your commitment to achieving this goal, I urge your Government to set a timeline for doing so.

Here is why:

As well as saving lives and helping some of the 1.3 billion people living in extreme poverty, aid also fosters economic growth and enhances our region’s security.
If we do not tackle the problem of extreme poverty, already pressing problems such as conflict, mass migration and uncontrollable climate change will be made worse.
Australia will ultimately be judged by both the effectiveness of its aid program and the extent to which it meets those internationally agreed targets for aid volume.
Mr Abbott, we do not have to choose between the needs of Australians and the millions of people who live in poverty – we are wealthy enough to take care of both. This is a view shared by the Australian public.

An omnibus survey last year showed that almost 60 per cent of Australians believe that giving aid should not be a negotiable item in the Federal Budget.

Australia is not a generous aid donor, but we should be. Our aid program is helping to create a more stable and prosperous world in which Australia will flourish. As a prominent member of the international community, the current Chair of the United Nations Security Council and the 2014 Chair of the G20, Australia must pay a fair share of assistance to the address the world’s most pressing problems.

I urge you, as our Prime Minister-elect, to consider whether Australia, one of the wealthiest countries in the world, can afford to cut the assistance required to meet the humanitarian and development needs of the poorest.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Julia Newton-Howes
CEO CARE Australia

http://blog.care.org.au/

Ironically Australia is cutting its foreign aid budget by AUD 4.5 Billion over the next 4 years, while at the same time increasing its intelligence budget. This is not a good message to be sending out to the region if sincere and open engagement is truly sort by the Abbott Government. Asia is judging Australia by its actions, not rhetoric, and there appears to be a massive failure which the Abbott Government must quickly react to, if Australia’s interests are to be safeguarded

That message might have gone down well in some of the marginal seats that delivered victory to Abbott, but it also sent a blunt signal to our neighbours and the rest of the world: to smooth the way for Australian motorists, the new government is prepared to ride roughshod over the world's poor and retreat from this nation's long-standing commitment to the global fight against hunger, disease and illiteracy.
  :clapping
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-shame-that-is-abbotts-foreign-aid-policy-20131101-2wrxt.html#ixzz2k12SvOlq

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1877 on: November 09, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »

The fun starts next week.

There's nowhere to hide in Question Time

By Paula Matthewson 
Fri 8 Nov 2013, 8:43am AEDT

Will Tony Abbott try to step in to protect a weak minister?

When Australia's 44th Parliament sits for the first time next Tuesday, there will be nowhere for the Coalition's media shy ministers to hide, writes Paula Matthewson.

Next week, while most of Australia is already counting the hours until the first ball of the Ashes, political aficionados will be tuning in to watch the Abbott Government's first parliamentary session.

Some will do so for the pomp of the official opening. Others will be looking for a bit of biffo during Question Time. And those with the acquired taste will settle in for the often surprisingly entertaining Senate Estimates proceedings.

But mostly, these democracy diehards will be looking for evidence that the weeks since the September federal election were merely a disappointing hiatus and not a disconcerting sign of things to come.

Of principal interest will be how the Coalition adapts its low/no information approach to the demands of parliamentary scrutiny. It's no revelation that very few of the new ministers are strong parliamentary performers. While it's one thing for the Prime Minister to keep newbie ministers away from the risks of media events and other public appearances, it's more difficult to protect them from a brace of ex-ministers on the opposition benches bristling with knowledgeable questions.

What will Prime Minister Tony Abbott do if the Opposition runs a concerted Question Time campaign against a weak minister? How would Environment Minister Greg Hunt cope, for instance, under sustained and systematic questioning from Labor MPs on the impacts of climate change and his previous support for an emissions trading scheme? Being not that great a debater himself, the PM may see more risk in stepping in for his minister than leaving him to fend for himself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-08/matthewson-theres-nowhere-to-hide-in-question-time/5078142

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1878 on: November 12, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »

Even this ex-Liberal minister thinks Tony is in trouble.

:lol

Tony Abbott's government needs to make sure it's doing the things it was elected to do

Date November 11, 2013

Amanda Vanstone
Former Howard government minister

snipped...

After a period of working together a clear understanding should be had by all as to what needs to be co-ordinated and what is more run of the mill stuff that can be left to individuals. Over-co-ordinating could run the risk of producing a blandness that the electorate might find calming but unpalatable dross.

The other side to this story is that the business of government is enormous. No one person, office or department can be across everything. Media co-ordination isn't about control, it's about co-ordination. If that is all that is happening, we can be grateful.

Ministers are responsible to their electors for being in Parliament, and to Tony Abbott for being office holders. Having two bosses isn't always easy. At the same time the PM, while responsible to his electorate, gets his high office from the vote of his colleagues. That is a formula for mutual respect. It should work quite well.

Sadly, sometimes co-ordination can slip out of control. If that is what is intended, or is allowed to happen we should worry. And no one should worry more than Abbott.

As someone recently said, ''nothing leaks like unhappiness''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/tony-abbotts-government-needs-to-make-sure-its-doing-the-things-it-was-elected-to-do-20131110-2x9v5.html#ixzz2kMJRblpY

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1879 on: November 12, 2013, 04:43:59 AM »

Some facts about mandates...

:cheers

Ending the squabble over election mandates

By Joff Lelliott 
Mon 11 Nov 2013

Until our major parties can agree on what policy promises must be honoured by an opposition, we'll continue to hear the same tired debate over mandates after every election, writes Joff Lelliott.

Tony Abbott's demand that Labor "repent" and wave his repeal of carbon pricing through the Senate is a curious mixture of breathtaking hypocrisy and sensible reform of the political system.

First to the breath-taking hypocrisy.

In 2007, Labor's election campaign under Kevin Rudd centred on two key policies: a price on carbon and reversing the Coalition's WorkChoices legislation.

It was Abbott as Liberal leader who insisted the Coalition block the carbon price in the Senate. This was despite Labor's undoubted electoral mandate in the House of Representatives where Labor had 83 seats to the Coalition's 65.

But the hypocrisy goes beyond this.

Abbott had been a senior minister in the previous Coalition government which also fought the 2007 election promising a price on carbon. He happily went back on an election promise both he and his party had made.

And there's yet more hypocrisy.

Through 2009, the Labor government negotiated with the Liberal opposition under Malcolm Turnbull to secure passage of carbon price legislation, even amending the bill to gain Liberal Party support. Then there was a last minute coup and, against expectations, Abbott squeaked into the Liberal Party leadership with a one-vote victory over Malcolm Turnbull. Abbott immediately reneged on the agreement.

So, not only did Abbott ignore Labor's mandate, he abandoned his own election promise and shredded a deal his party had made just days earlier. As one Labor MP said to me at the time, "our mistake was taking the Liberals at their word".

It beggars belief that Tony Abbott now lectures Labor about mandates.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1880 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:09 PM »
I hope the MODs here at OER are taking notice name calling is now allowed in our Federal parliament.

I hope we can lower ourselves to the same standards.

:lol

Epic fail: New Speaker Bronwyn Bishop stumbles at first hurdle

November 13, 2013
Michael Gordon

Bronwyn Bishop has failed the first test of her speakership and this parliament is in danger of being just as rancorous as the last one.

The woman who built a reputation on her encyclopaedic knowledge of Parliament's standing orders declined to apply one of the most basic rules of decorum when Christopher Pyne set out to ridicule Labor's fledgling leader, Bill Shorten on Wednesday morning.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has been calling Shorten ''Electricity Bill'' for days on the basis that Labor's opposition to the repeal of the carbon tax will add to consumers' power bills.

But when he was pressed on Tuesday on whether the put-down was in keeping with the promise of a more civil political discourse, he replied: ''Well, it would probably be ruled out of order in the Parliament, I accept that, and obviously when I'm in the Parliament I am subject to the standing orders as interpreted by Speaker Bronwyn Bishop, or Madam Speaker, I probably should say.''

This should have been a hint to colleagues to show some restraint when the real business of the 44th Parliament began.

As Abbott said when Bishop was elevated to the post on Tuesday: ''When any of us are tempted to be low, mean or petty, the member for Mackellar is well equipped to recall us to our duty. This parliament will be a different one and a better one, I hope.''

But, frustrated that Labor was seeking to delay the introduction of the carbon tax repeal legislation by bringing on a debate about the Government's secrecy on its policy to stop the boats, Pyne led the counter-attack and quickly branded Shorten ''Electricity Bill''.

When Tony Burke, in the new role of key Labor tactician in the House, demanded that he withdraw, he was initially ridiculed for not being as sharp on parliamentary practice as his predecessor, Anthony Albanese. He then demonstrated that he is a very worthy replacement.

Abbott appeared to concede as much when he initiated a private chat with Shorten.

The new Speaker probably allowed the epithet because it is at the lower end of the spectrum of parliamentary insults. This was a mistake, and Burke made a compelling case that it is contrary to the bold print in standing order 64, which requires MPs to refer to each other only by their title, and the promise of higher standards.

When his repeated requests for Bishop to reconsider were rebuffed, he moved dissent from the Speakers' ruling. Significantly, rather than mount a defence of the Speaker's ruling, Pyne then moved to gag any argument.

Predictably, Labor lost the vote on party lines, but Bishop lost an early opportunity to set a new standard.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1881 on: November 13, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
Lol at abbots opening speech

Yadayada let's be constructive and not bully. Oh dear.

Sticks and stoned will break my boned. Bit 4.5 billion worth of food and water will not hurt me

Granted, "electricity bill is somewhat humorous
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:11:24 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1882 on: November 13, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Former PM Kevin Rudd quits Parliament

Date November 13, 2013 - 8:56PM

Mark Kenny
Chief political correspondent

submit to reddit Email article Print Reprints & permissions
"There comes a time in every politician?s life when their family says enough is enough": Kevin Rudd.

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd is to quit politics effective from the end of this week.

His departure will force a by-election in the Brisbane seat of Griffith.

Declaring ‘‘it really is time for me to zip,’’ Mr Rudd dropped the bombshell announcement to a packed House of Representatives on Wednesday evening.

‘‘This has been the product of much soul-searching for us as a family over the last few months," he revealed.

‘‘But for me, my family is everything, always has been, always will be, which is why I will not be continuing as a member of this parliament beyond this week."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/former-pm-kevin-rudd-quits-parliament-20131113-2xgxn.html#ixzz2kWDzAMDH

Gigantor

« Reply #1883 on: November 13, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »
serve out your term and then quit .....damn these politicians they are the biggest sooks

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1884 on: November 13, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
My heart bleeds. Don't forget to shut the door on your own way out now dear

The flog should've stood up and apologised to those families who lose their sons/fathers to that botched pink bits scheme of his

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

dwaino

« Reply #1885 on: November 14, 2013, 12:19:06 AM »
Good to see Tony launching a royal commission into Rudd's roofing insulation. I hope he shows the same dilligence and stands aside when the royal commission into child abuse is handed in.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1886 on: November 14, 2013, 04:31:30 AM »
Two-faced pollies last night praising and praising Rudd after trashing him and his character for the past 4 years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1887 on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »
Good riddance to the worst PM in history

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1888 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
Abbots gone?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1889 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »