Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766389 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2070 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »
Mine or Bents?  What whistleblower?

Given that I included Bents question in my reply...

:cheers

And I would like (but don't insist on) a reply from WP.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2071 on: February 27, 2014, 10:07:35 AM »

? ? ?   Again, what whistleblower?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2072 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »

And I would like (but don't insist on) a reply from WP.

You may like a reply but you wont get one because ....

TBBH I haven't a clue what Bent's is talking about, so what exactly am I suppos to be replying to?

As per Smokey - what Whistleblower?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2073 on: February 27, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
Ms Thompson accused the Immigration Department of deceiving the detainees and said the system - which she branded ''a farce'' - was designed to force them to give up and return to their home countries.

''We were taking them through a process that goes nowhere,'' she said. ''There is no visa for them to get. There's no legislation governing their resettlement.

''Manus Island is an experiment in the ultimate logic of deterrence, designed to frustrate the hell out of people and terrify them so that they go home. Your two options are indefinitely detention or to return to the country where you fear persecution.''

She said asylum seekers had demanded answers from a senior PNG immigration official at a tense meeting on the Sunday afternoon before the Monday night violence. He had been ''honest with the guys about the fact that there is no process on PNG for their resettlement''.

Her claim is consistent with the account on the Sunday meeting given to Fairfax Media by whistleblower interpreter Azita Bokan and another employee at the centre.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/riot-flared-as-manus-island-refugees-realised-lies-were-told-20140225-33ft3.html#ixzz2uTjmKDYO

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2074 on: February 27, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
Ms Thompson accused the Immigration Department of deceiving the detainees and said the system - which she branded ''a farce'' - was designed to force them to give up and return to their home countries.

''We were taking them through a process that goes nowhere,'' she said. ''There is no visa for them to get. There's no legislation governing their resettlement.

''Manus Island is an experiment in the ultimate logic of deterrence, designed to frustrate the hell out of people and terrify them so that they go home. Your two options are indefinitely detention or to return to the country where you fear persecution.''

She said asylum seekers had demanded answers from a senior PNG immigration official at a tense meeting on the Sunday afternoon before the Monday night violence. He had been ''honest with the guys about the fact that there is no process on PNG for their resettlement''.

Her claim is consistent with the account on the Sunday meeting given to Fairfax Media by whistleblower interpreter Azita Bokan and another employee at the centre.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/riot-flared-as-manus-island-refugees-realised-lies-were-told-20140225-33ft3.html#ixzz2uTjmKDYO

Just read the article

So who are you & Bents referring to?

The article refers to the "whistleblower" as Azita Bokan (BTW are they an Australian citizen because Bent's referred to "the Australian" :huh) and I have no idea what they have supposedly blown the whistle on

Or are you both referring to Ms Thompson who is quoted throughout the article but isn't reffered to as the "whistleblower"

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2075 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
I am confused.

It's a odd enough thread anyway with '65s vitriolic hate and throw Bents into the mix and I don't know what you get

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2076 on: February 27, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
Are you a lawyer?

You know exactly what we mean?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2077 on: February 27, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
Are you a lawyer?

You know exactly what we mean?

No I'm not a lawyer  :wallywink

And no I don't know what you mean  >:(

Bents asked a question that at the time made no sense at all

You jumped in and said you wanted to know my answer as well and then you supplied a link to an article that quotes one person and then names another as a "whistleblower"

I am trying to work which person Bents was referring to in his orignal question.

I haven't read any Fairfax article that has quotes from the person Azita Bokan so I don't know what they said let alone if they are an Australian which forms part of the basis of the original question asked by Bents.

That's why I am asking

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2078 on: February 27, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
Certainly sound like a lawyer

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2079 on: February 27, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »
LMAO

tony_montana

« Reply #2080 on: February 27, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »
 :lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2081 on: February 27, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »

Lol.  She wasn't a whistleblower.  She was a employed by the Immigration Dept as an interpreter and was a supposed  'witness' who was interviewed on the ABC later in the week and then quoted in the press.  And this reliable 'witness' as it turned out didn't even witness the riot but later admitted she was just in the vicinity.  She only spent a week on Manus Island and at no stage actually saw any of the riot, but she was only in the vicinity of some of the injured people afterwards.  A riot at a detention centre built by Rudd under a security arrangement implemented by Rudd employing staff hired by Rudd in an effort to stop boats lured by Rudd.  One death in a camp built by Labor, staffed by Labor under an arrangement orchestrated by Labor is worth the moral high ground but the 1200 lured to their death by the Labor government's flawed inhumane policy isn't.  But yeah, let's blame Abbott again - a defence that is getting less fashionable and more pathetic by the day.  Hypocrites.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2082 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:48 AM »
Lol.  She wasn't a whistleblower.  She was a employed by the Immigration Dept as an interpreter and was a supposed  'witness' who was interviewed on the ABC later in the week and then quoted in the press.  And this reliable 'witness' as it turned out didn't even witness the riot but later admitted she was just in the vicinity.  She only spent a week on Manus Island and at no stage actually saw any of the riot, but she was only in the vicinity of some of the injured people afterwards.  A riot at a detention centre built by Rudd under a security arrangement implemented by Rudd employing staff hired by Rudd in an effort to stop boats lured by Rudd.  One death in a camp built by Labor, staffed by Labor under an arrangement orchestrated by Labor is worth the moral high ground but the 1200 lured to their death by the Labor government's flawed inhumane policy isn't.  But yeah, let's blame Abbott again - a defence that is getting less fashionable and more pathetic by the day.  Hypocrites.

I just wonder how long the Libs can blame Labor for their mistakes.

Tony even defended Fiona Nash by saying that she isn't as bad as Craig Thomson.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/at-least-were-not-as-bad-as-thommo-tony-abbotts-defence-in-fiona-nash-affair-20140226-33hjl.html

Expect the voters will start to whack this government and one term Tony.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:21:22 AM by 1965 »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2083 on: February 28, 2014, 08:13:24 AM »
I just wonder how long the Libs can blame Labor for their mistakes.

Thats actually a fair question and you do see govts of all persuasion continue to blame the previous govt for things going wrong well into their term of govt.

But in terms of Manus Island, Smokey is dead right. The whole fiasco lies at the feet of the labor govt. No ifs, no buts.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2084 on: February 28, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »

Tony even defended Fiona Nash by saying that she isn't as bad as Craig Thomson.

Really?

If that's how you deciphered his actual quote then maybe you need to sit at the other end of the classroom:

''I'd ask you to compare the way this government has dealt with this with the way the former government dealt with the scandal involving the former member for Dobell who was, let's face it, protected for three years.''

He never compared the people at all but he did compare the way the government handled the episode compared to the disgraceful and scandalous way the previous government protected a minister who stole from his union members for his own carnal pleasure, just to save their majority.  No morals, no ethics, protecting criminals for their own purposes and in direct conflict with the best interests of the country they were in position to govern.  But you keep clutching '65, the straws are getting thinner and less conspicuous by the day now that there is a government in place that is getting on with the job of governing and fixing the monumental f-ups, and not trying to govern by populist media.