Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774889 times)

tony_montana

Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2460 on: July 17, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »
Needed to be scrapped - was nothing more than a scam that cost us 2 x taxes. 1) the actual carbon tax 2) our taxes going to compo for people that are paying extra via the CT. Ridiculous.

Will introduce something down the track that doesn't make us uncompetitive

dwaino

« Reply #2461 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
It was a tax he didn't have to sell though, unlike everything else he has tried to slug us for and is getting bashed pillar to post for in the polls. Could have just kept blaming it on the previous government. As a country we apparently have to share the load in getting this 'budget emergency' under control. You would think he would take every penny he could milk, but unfortunately for us it doesn't apply to his mates. I was opposed to the carbon tax to begin with, but now I'm concerned at what we are going to be slugged with next. I'm glad the senate is like it is. Not a hostile senate, but in fact a senate as intended. The senate is meant to be a cock block for these dimwits. Especially this sort who thinks a government is nothing more than a catholic mission and a charity for his rich friends.

tony_montana

« Reply #2462 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
Yeah but it was also a tax that destroyed the confidence of the economy. People are spooked/scared about how much the COL is rising and how rapidly its rising - small business confidence is shot. Retail is shot. why? bc people are scared to spend more money atm, lots of people I know are taking the sit tight and wait and see what happens approach.
 What the gvt loses in carbon taxes, they will gain easily when consumer and business confidence rises which equates to more tax revenue anyway. Wasn't labor's last budget abt 15 bill more in the red than anticipated and their own reasoning was " bc company tax revenue is down" well duh! if you leech and suck the life and competitiveness out of small business, profits and subsequent tax on declining revenue will drop.

Maybe he did do it just for his industry mates- I don't know, but tbh Im happy bc its also a saving grace for a lot of hardworking people out there that are just getting smashed by more and more tax. Im not against an emmissions trading scheme and doing something that promotes alternative energy usage but there has to be a better way.

dwaino

« Reply #2463 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
Retail has been stuffed for a long time and non retail small business has been buggered for a just as long and not as a direct result of any carbon tax. We came out of a global recession relatively unscathed just recently. Labor did blow some money on crap but if there is a time to blow it then it's when interest rates are at their lowest. I work in electric motors for a small business (but on domestic and international stage) and thus carbon and mining taxes had immediate and direct impact on us yet they weren't the only reason for us losing some work.

Ridding the carbon tax won't restore confidence. Especially not while refusing to spend money to keep domestic industries and more people running out of work. People are already scared of things like the medicare co payments, debt levy (or, 'tax tax') and the rest of the junk Wingnut is trying to hamfist through. You can label the carbon tax anything you like but it was still revenue. Increasing the GST is the obvious goal.

There won't be anything like an ETS or any climate change action in place as long as the catholic cabinet is in place as they don't believe in it. Trying to spend federal money on putting catholic counselors in schools, to trying to divert funding from the royal commission into church sex abuse into Labor's crap insulation scheme, to trying to remove the tax exemption of non christian charities, removing the minister for science, he has played his hand. No interest in progress, just making sure god's work is done and his mates can keep selling Foxtel. There is nothing for Australia from these pricks at all.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:16:32 AM by dwaino »

dwaino

« Reply #2464 on: July 18, 2014, 12:11:25 AM »
If you listen carefully while going to sleep tonight, you just may here the lull of the generators firing up again,

Emissions-intensive brown and black coal-fired power generators cut output, with about 4 gigawatts of capacity taken offline. The emissions intensity of NEM supply dropped between 16 and 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide per megawatt-hour of supply, underscoring the role of carbon pricing rather than slumping demand in curbing pollution, the paper said.
However, investors’ doubts that the carbon tax would last – fostered in part by then opposition leader Tony Abbott’s “blood oath” to repeal it if the Coalition took office - meant high-emissions generators were mothballed rather than permanently closed.
“We’d expect the impact of the carbon price would have been larger, perhaps far larger, if there had been an expectation that the carbon price would have continued,” Professor Jotzo said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/carbon-price-helped-curb-emissions-anu-study-finds-20140717-ztuf6.html#ixzz37jbQR1Ok

Here is a great comment from Ian Macdonald, also a christian,

In response, Coalition Senator Ian Macdonald “congratulated” the Senate and “the Australian public” and reminded the chamber that “in Brisbane on Saturday morning, we had the coldest day in 113 years.”
Read more at http://junkee.com/the-carbon-tax-is-gone/38156#AeEO6EucKMEEOMQw.99

Next up: the Earth is flat, is only 6,000 years old and dinosaur fossils are here to test our faith.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2465 on: July 18, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
If you listen carefully while going to sleep tonight, you just may here the lull of the generators firing up again,

Emissions-intensive brown and black coal-fired power generators cut output, with about 4 gigawatts of capacity taken offline. The emissions intensity of NEM supply dropped between 16 and 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide per megawatt-hour of supply, underscoring the role of carbon pricing rather than slumping demand in curbing pollution, the paper said.
However, investors’ doubts that the carbon tax would last – fostered in part by then opposition leader Tony Abbott’s “blood oath” to repeal it if the Coalition took office - meant high-emissions generators were mothballed rather than permanently closed.
“We’d expect the impact of the carbon price would have been larger, perhaps far larger, if there had been an expectation that the carbon price would have continued,” Professor Jotzo said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/carbon-price-helped-curb-emissions-anu-study-finds-20140717-ztuf6.html#ixzz37jbQR1Ok

Here is a great comment from Ian Macdonald, also a christian,

In response, Coalition Senator Ian Macdonald “congratulated” the Senate and “the Australian public” and reminded the chamber that “in Brisbane on Saturday morning, we had the coldest day in 113 years.”
Read more at http://junkee.com/the-carbon-tax-is-gone/38156#AeEO6EucKMEEOMQw.99

Next up: the Earth is flat, is only 6,000 years old and dinosaur fossils are here to test our faith.
You've got to love how scientific illiterates like MacDonald and Cori Bernardi are so proud of their ignorance and lack of education  :stupid.

Fortunately, this issue won't go away especially now our emissions will begin to rise again. The laws of physics and chemistry don't alter for the loonie tea party crowd who deny and hate science.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2466 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:25 PM »
A 19% swing against the LNP up in Queensland in the Stafford state by-election. It seems once Queenslanders turn on a government, they really turn on them.

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/qld/2014/stafford/result.htm
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2467 on: July 20, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »

Jews not muckin around
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:37:37 PM by one-eyed »

dwaino

« Reply #2468 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
No holiday in lieu for ANZAC day next year for Victorians since it falls on a Saturday despite being the centenary. Napthine must be employing scorched earth tactics on his way out. Labor offering the Friday before next year's grand final which I think also falls the same week as Melbourne show?

I can understand Napthine's comments about how it should be a day of remembrance and not about a day off, but politicians get 3 months a year where as most of us only have 4 weeks and look forward to the public holidays. Just making ANZAC even less significant than it has been.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2469 on: July 21, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »
I can understand Napthine's comments about how it should be a day of remembrance and not about a day off, but politicians get 3 months a year where as most of us only have 4 weeks and look forward to the public holidays. Just making ANZAC even less significant than it has been.

Interesting dwaino, I actually support Napthine on this one. I believe and have always believed that ANZAC day is sacrosanct - you don't move it and you don't cheapen by giving a holiday in lieu of it falling on weekend.

I've always been a staunch believer in if a day falls on a Saturday or Sunday then that's just the way it is.

Or alternatively like what they've done with Aust Day if it falls on a weekend or heaven forbid on a weekday other than a Monday or Friday then we should celebrate that day on the day it falls. Not move it about so we can have a long weekend. Australia Day should be celebrated on the day it falls not moved about so we get along weekend

ANZAC day in particular is more important than that, so much more important. So for me it's about the day and what it means not getting a long weekend

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #2470 on: July 21, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
Completely agree with the sentiment WP. I'm the same. But I don't like losing a day off that we all deserve. I put in 50-60 hours over 5 and a half days a week for 60-70% of the year and often don't take all my holidays. As long as we get a replacement day I'm happy. In the UK for example they just have bank holidays instead which are public holidays with nothing attached. Don't see why we can't do that here as we usually have the same amount of days off a year as the rest of the states. In Brisbane we had show day unlike Melbourne now (since I have moved here anyway)  but obviously we didn't have cup day.

I'm sure that Monday will turn into an RDO for industrial and some other reason for students to have off too. Unfortunately none apply to me  >:(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2471 on: July 21, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
Completely agree with the sentiment WP. I'm the same. But I don't like losing a day off that we all deserve. I put in 50-60 hours over 5 and a half days a week for 60-70% of the year and often don't take all my holidays. As long as we get a replacement day I'm happy. In the UK for example they just have bank holidays instead which are public holidays with nothing attached. Don't see why we can't do that here as we usually have the same amount of days off a year as the rest of the states. In Brisbane we had show day unlike Melbourne now (since I have moved here anyway)  but obviously we didn't have cup day.

I'm sure that Monday will turn into an RDO for industrial and some other reason for students to have off too. Unfortunately none apply to me  >:(

RDO Guaranteed ... It's how the unions roll.

We used to have a show day holiday and an Easter Tuesday holiday too. Mr Kennett flicked those  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2472 on: July 21, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
Arbeit macht frei.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

« Reply #2473 on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
Gemeinnutz geht vor eigennutz.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2474 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:18 AM »
http://m.imgur.com/a/gtc9T