Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 775109 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2505 on: July 27, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »

Straight from the horses mouth.

Proof the Libs lied about any sort of crisis.

Australian economy is not in trouble, Joe Hockey tells NZ

July 26, 2014 - 2:37PM

Joe Hockey has told New Zealand that there is no crisis in the Australian economy, nor is it in trouble.

The treasurer also made no mention of the "budget emergency" he and his government referred to when justifying their unpopular budget to Australians.

Instead, Mr Hockey reassured Kiwis that their second biggest trading partner is benefiting from 23 years of consecutive economic growth.

"The Australian economy is not in trouble," he told New Zealand political current affairs show The Nation on Saturday

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/australian-economy-is-not-in-trouble-joe-hockey-tells-nz-20140726-zx6ie.html#ixzz38byISxSp

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2506 on: July 28, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:13:12 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2507 on: July 28, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
One of your better posts Bents!!

;D ;D

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2508 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:29 PM »
All I can see is a white box with a red cross in it

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2509 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:46 PM »
85 Wealthiest Are Richer Than Poorest 3.5 Billion

The U.N.'s annual Human Development Report released Thursday shows that the world's 85 richest people are wealthier than the poorest 3.5 billion.

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2014/07/27/85-wealthiest-are-richer-than-poorest-35-billion-a-536174.html

:clapping

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2511 on: July 29, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

The U.N.'s annual Human Development Report released Thursday shows that the world's 85 richest people are wealthier than the poorest 3.5 billion.

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2014/07/27/85-wealthiest-are-richer-than-poorest-35-billion-a-536174.html

Hypothetically

Say you kill these 85

And distribute said wealth between the poorest 3-4 billion

Would that be a bad thing ? You could argue under the more popular branches of philosophy that it'd in fact be the correct course of action as a/the humanity...

[wiki]  Utilitarianism is a theory in normative ethics holding that the proper course of action is the one that maximizes utility, usually defined as maximizing total benefit and reducing suffering or the negatives. Classical utilitarianism's two most influential contributors are Jeremy Bentham and John Stuart Mill. In simple words, it is the way one helps himself in the art of decision-making. John Stuart Mill, in his book Utilitarianism, stated, "In the golden rule of Geez of Nazareth, we read the complete spirit of the ethics of utility. To do as one would be done by, and to love one's neighbour as oneself, constitute the ideal perfection of utilitarian morality." According to both Bentham and Mill, utilitarianism is considered to be a hedonistic approach only if the results of an action do not directly cause a negative impact on others.[1] It is now generally taken to be a form of consequentialism, although when Anscombe first introduced that term it was to distinguish between "old-fashioned utilitarianism" and consequentialism.[2] In utilitarianism, the moral worth of an action is determined only by its resulting consequences; however, there is debate over how much consideration should be given to actual consequences, foreseen consequences and intended consequences. In A Fragment on Government, Bentham says, "it is the greatest happiness of the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong"[3] and describes this as a fundamental axiom. In An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, he talks of "the principle of utility" but later prefers "the greatest happiness principle."[4][5]

*come to think of it you wouldn't even have to kill them just take the gear

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:31:58 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2512 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »

thats pretty disgraceful.

the UN need to make countries sign a new international law  introducing massive tax increases with no option to not pay on the extreme wealthy. the money should then fund humanitarian, development and environmental programs.

then again, that would be a red flag to many here because that would infringe on the rich peoples rights and the 3.5 billion poorest are probably either bludgers or no hopers
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2514 on: July 29, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
Didn't think so

Tears

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2515 on: July 29, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/abbotts-strong-mh17-response-reflected-in-polls/story-fn59niix-1227004992839?nk=99553949965964fc81c4af73a96526f2

any comments 65?

Sadly Angus I cannot open the link the Australian are wanting me to pay to view it  ;D

But I gather it is about the PM's approval rating?

Sorry but they don't mean much. As was proven at the last election. Gillard believe it or not constantly came out ahead as preferred PM, ditto with Rudd but it didn't help them at all come Election Day.

My question is what impact has the MH17 tragedy had on the Govts numbers? Last week the polls suggested it had little if any impact and that the opposition would easily win an election if it was held.

Don't get seduced by popularity numbers over who people are likely to vote for.  ;D

And before you go off on one your "rants".

I actually think Abbott and the usually ineffective Julia Bishop are doing a very good job on this. They are standing up not only for Australia but for everyone affected by this disaster. And for that they they get this  :clapping from me
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2516 on: July 29, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/abbotts-strong-mh17-response-reflected-in-polls/story-fn59niix-1227004992839?nk=99553949965964fc81c4af73a96526f2

any comments 65?

Sadly Angus I cannot open the link the Australian are wanting me to pay to view it  ;D

Sorry but they don't mean much. As was proven at the last election. Gillard believe it or not constantly came out ahead as preferred PM, ditto with Rudd but it didn't help them at all come Election Day.

My question is what impact has the MH17 tragedy had on the Govts numbers? Last week the polls suggested it had little if any impact and that the opposition would easily win an election if it was held.

Don't get seduced by popularity numbers over who people are likely to vote for.  ;D

I actually think Abbott and the usually ineffective Julia Bishop are doing a very good job on this. They are standing up not only for Australia but for everyone affected by this disaster. And for that they they get this  :clapping from me

It was more directed at mr 65 over there. As for the numbers not meaning much, im pretty sure you over the years would have quoted them at some point, so please don't down vibe the sterling comeback we are witnessing here from big tone.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:27:32 PM by Angus Hampson »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2517 on: July 29, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »

any comments 65?

It was more directed at mr 65 over there. As for the numbers not meaning much, im pretty sure you over the years would have quoted them at some point, so please don't down vibe the sterling comeback we are witnessing here from big tone.

If I am not mistaken there were about 15 consecutive posts from 1965 about it a few months ago when the budget ratings started.

And dont ask me to quote because I CBF

Plus I made it up as well

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2518 on: July 29, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

With respect, I've never posted about "preferred PM numbers" because they mean nothing.

But yes I have over time said that "polling numbers" can mean very little come election day. And I still believe that to a point - last Vic State Election was a good example and when Rudd first got elected. Numbers said it would be close but Rudd & the ALP got elected pretty easily, polls got it wrong. But they certainly got it right at the last federal election  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2519 on: July 29, 2014, 08:51:01 PM »
http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stories/us-only-country-of-47-to-vote-against-investigating-possible-human-rights-violations-during-israeli-occupation-of-gaza-140728?news=853817
U.S. Only Country of 47 to Vote against Investigating Possible Human Rights Violations during Israeli Occupation of Gaza