Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774110 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2640 on: August 16, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2641 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
Says it all...

Joe Hockey may be sorry, but that doesn't mean he gets it

The treasurer is really, really sorry for his comments about poor people, but even his apology shows he is still out of touch

Lenore Taylor, political editor

Friday 15 August 2014 19.14 AEST   

Joe Hockey says he is really, really, sorry the disadvantaged may have somehow got the impression he, or the government, did not care about them.

Because in fact the government is doing its “very best” for the disadvantaged – by making the welfare and health systems “sustainable” with the policies outlined in the budget.

Those policies include the cuts to health, pensions, welfare, education and family payments which have resulted in multiple sets of modelling concluding that the impact of the budget is unfair. And they don’t include numerous other ways spending could have been cut, or revenue raised, and the budget brought back to surplus, which would not hurt the poor.

If this is really Hockey’s idea of a budget that shows compassion for the disadvantaged, he is even more out of touch than people thought he was after his ridiculous comments about poor people not driving very far.

Perhaps he could read the submissions to a Senate inquiry into the budget’s welfare changes, where I came across a case study of a man who had sought help from St Vincent de Paul.

He was a 64-year-old from somewhere near Bathurst who had been forced to give up his lifelong job as a truck driver in 2013 after a serious heart attack. He could no longer work, even casually, and was living on a disability support pension. After he had paid rent and power he had $135 a week – which also had to cover around $40 a week in medical prescription costs.

The man had sought financial counselling and had tried to save money in many ways but he still couldn’t make ends meet and was forced to ask for help from Vinnies several times before deciding to move to a shack on a small bush block he owned, without power or running water.

“He will have to use lanterns and a battery radio, and work out ways to heat water and keep food cool. He is willing to live there even though it is not designed or insulated to be a home, and every time it rains the roof leaks, so that he is obliged to put out buckets to catch the drips. The move takes him further away from his beloved daughter and grandchildren. Mr X feels that the only way that he can cope with the cost pressures on his small income is to quit town and move to barely habitable accommodation in a remote location,” Vinnies writes in its submission.

The budget proposes to index the age and disability pensions by the CPI, usually a lower amount than the average weekly earnings that have until now been the benchmark for an annual increase.

The fact that unemployment benefits have been indexed by the lower amount is the reason they are now worth $7,500 a year less than the pension.

Once the pension is also indexed by the lesser amount, the former truck driver on his back block with no power will, over time, have even less money to meet his needs. And almost straight away, if the budget gets through, he will have to find $7 for his first 10 visits to the doctor.

Did the government’s “very best” extend to thinking about the real lives of pensioners like this man?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/15/joe-hockey-apology-welfare-budget-poor-people

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2642 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
May as well reduce what's left of the dental benefits for the poor because, let's face it everyone, poor people have less teeth.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2643 on: August 16, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »
the whole thing is hopeless and given the intrests, a powder keg for ww3

Go one bigger. The evangelists in the west sided with the zionists to carry out the christian eschatology mythology. Religion is the root of almost every evil in history.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2644 on: August 16, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
Joe Hockey may be sorry, but that doesn't mean he gets it
The worst thing about Hockey's comments is he gets all freebies for his car use as a pollie - all at our taxpayers' expense. That's free fuel, free rego, free insurance, free repairs, etc... The age of entitlement hasn't ended for smoking Joe while he hypocritically lectures and attacks poor people :facepalm.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2645 on: August 16, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
And here I was thinking the fine people off frankest on cranbourne dandenong had cars and drove a shyte load

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2646 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:12 PM »
 :lol

Abbott is a stuffwit and his days are numbered.

The worst PM in my memory.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2647 on: August 16, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »
:lol

Abbott is a stuffwit and his days are numbered.

The worst PM in my memory.

Apart from Gillard and Rudd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2648 on: August 16, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
 :shh

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2649 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
Since Ive been alive we have had Fraser, Hawke, Keating, Howard, Rudd, Gillard and Abbott.

It's Little Johnny then daylight ..

What a sorry list it is.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #2650 on: August 17, 2014, 05:23:31 AM »
Since Ive been alive we have had Fraser, Hawke, Keating, Howard, Rudd, Gillard and Abbott.

What a sorry list it is.

I reckon Abbott has been just as controversial in his first year as Howard. Hopefully One Term Tony won't stick around.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2651 on: August 17, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »

What a sorry list it is.

Dead right Damo.  FWIW, I'd rate them in this order:

Little Johnny
Hawke
Fraser
Keating

Abbott
Gillard

Rudd

And I've had the pleasure of being governed by other fine statesmen such as Whitlam, Gorton, McMahon and Snedden (that I can remember anything about - Menzies & Holt I was only a kid).

And I would place them all collectively just above Rudd to be honest.  Whitlam maybe on a par with Gillard and Abbott.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2652 on: August 17, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »
Whit lam had an issue with execution
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2653 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
Whit lam had an issue with execution

Yeah, that was his issue.   ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2654 on: August 17, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
The worst PM in my lifetime has been Fraser. Failure to accept modern reforms at the time lead to an Australia economy driven into the dirt by 1982, double digit unemployment (which doubled after he took over from Whitlam), 21% interest rates, a hidden budget deficit, etc.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd