Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766379 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2895 on: November 30, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »
One term Tony coming up unless...

Julie (Juliar) Bishop takes over.  :lol

Tony Abbott sweats as Victorian voters cast harsh judgment

November 30, 2014 - 8:28AM 
Mark Kenny

There will be no shortage of theories about what caused the Victorian result but you can safely bet federal Labor will target the toxic standing of the Abbott government as the key driver.

Normally such claims are transparently self-serving. Voters understand the delineation between state and federal governments and are loath to waste one trip to the ballot box pointlessly ventilating grievances about the other.

But this election has been different. Noticeably so. Without inspiring leaders, contrasting programs, or the presentation of a transformative vision, the local pre-election period has been vulnerable to national hijack. Some have dubbed the Victorian poll a "Seinfeld election" - a show about nothing.

More accurately it seems, this has been the palimpsest election - one where pre-existing state factors have been all but scrubbed or paled to be over-written with sexier federal issues. Even the hotly contested issue of the East West Link has been mired in the federal sphere with much of the money coming from Canberra and Tony Abbott letting it be known that the billions committed would not be available for re-deployment on public transport if Labor were to win.

For the hapless Napthine government, this federal focus could not have been more inconvenient. Why? Because it started behind and then weathered some of the least favourable background conditions at the hands of its hamfisted federal colleagues.

Canberra's ill-timed restoration of federal fuel excise rises early on (via regulation because he cannot pass it in the Senate) and the woeful mismanagement of the GP co-payment issue in the last critical days of the campaign were major embuggerances to Denis Napthine's pitch - no question.

In a state with the highest mainland jobless level, and where the federal government was already synonymous with insensitivity over Alcoa, and the automotive industry, the charisma-challenged Napthine option has struggled for an independent voice and been damned by association. And Napthine's risible incapacity to "educate" Tony Abbott, as Victorians might see it, has merely made things worse.

However it is in Canberra that the message from voters will be causing real heart-ache into the future.

As the nation's second biggest state, Victoria is already an under-performer for the coalition having supplied just 14 of the Liberal Party's 74 seats and just two more when you add in the Nationals to the joint coalition total nationally of 89.

For the first time in recent days, senior federal Liberals are suddenly alive to the risk of becoming one-term wonders. If it could happen in Victoria - after nearly 60 years - it can happen nationally.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-sweats-as-victorian-voters-cast-harsh-judgment-20141129-11wsgd.html

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2896 on: November 30, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »

and don't tell me she doesn't want it (Tony's job)

Julie Bishop reopens nuclear debate as route to cut carbon dioxide emissions

November 30, 2014 - 8:30AM 

Latika Bourke

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says nuclear energy remains an option for Australia, describing it as an "obvious direction" as it considers how to cut carbon dioxide emissions after 2020.

Ms Bishop called for a an open discussion about the feasibility of nuclear power, given Australia's abundance of uranium, but accused Labor of resorting to a scare campaign when the issue was raised during the Howard government years.

"It's an obvious conclusion that if you want to bring down your greenhouse gas emissions dramatically you have to embrace a form of low or zero-emissions energy and that's nuclear, the only known 24/7 baseload power supply with zero emissions," she told Fairfax Media when asked about Australia's options for reaching future carbon-reduction targets.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/julie-bishop-reopens-nuclear-debate-as-route-to-cut-carbon-dioxide-emissions-20141129-11w17k.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2897 on: November 30, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
But I have read that Tony's doing a great job  ;D

Seriously, can't be Mr Negative for 3 years, criticise everything especially focussing on broken promises and lying and then do the very same thing yourself. That's Tony's way at the moment.

Funniest thing at the moment is his contrast whining about the opposition being negative all the time. As I said Tony did it for 3 years. Pot/kettle/black  ;D

Even senior liberal figures are saying they face being a 1 term govt if they don't change and change quickly.

As for Victoria, no surprise with the result to be honest. Ineffective government that promised so much 4 years ago and didn't even deliver half of it. Worse state govt I can remember and that's saying something because we've had some shockers

and BTW looking forward to our new public holiday next September - Froday before the GF  :clapping

:rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2898 on: December 01, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »

Liberal suckholes supporters have been quiet lately.

:lol

tony_montana

« Reply #2899 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
But I have read that Tony's doing a great job  ;D

Seriously, can't be Mr Negative for 3 years, criticise everything especially focussing on broken promises and lying and then do the very same thing yourself. That's Tony's way at the moment.

Funniest thing at the moment is his contrast whining about the opposition being negative all the time. As I said Tony did it for 3 years. Pot/kettle/black  ;D

Even senior liberal figures are saying they face being a 1 term govt if they don't change and change quickly.

As for Victoria, no surprise with the result to be honest. Ineffective government that promised so much 4 years ago and didn't even deliver half of it. Worse state govt I can remember and that's saying something because we've had some shockers

and BTW looking forward to our new public holiday next September - Froday before the GF  :clapping

:rollin

Worst ever WP? Bit harsh, yeah they were a bit pedestrian but after the previous 10 years of utter wastage, a short term of financial stability and not peeing away tax payer funds on phurphy's wasn't so bad for mine. Anyhow Dan the man is in let's see how many of his promises get through and more importantly at what cost

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2900 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »

Anti-everything suckholes left wing ferals like myself are never quiet.

EFA

Obviously not living in Victoria I couldn't give stuff. Up here in NSW Mike Baird is rockin it! Best NSW premier in a long time. He is progressive, likable, in touch with the real issues and is very visible.
Its easy for anti-liberal lefties to blame the federal govt for a crap state government but I can assure you that if there was a state election held in NSW right now, Mike Baird would win easily irrespective of what people think of the federal government.  :cheers

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2901 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:13 PM »
I'm only a casual follower of politics but did I just hear Tony Abbott say on the news he doesn't have a 'theological' position on nuclear power?

Have we ever had a more embarrassing Prime Minister? There should be a minimum IQ required before you can represent us on the world stage.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2902 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »
I'm only a casual follower of politics but did I just hear Tony Abbott say on the news he doesn't have a 'theological' position on nuclear power?

Have we ever had a more embarrassing Prime Minister? There should be a minimum IQ required before you can represent us on the world stage.

Yes the two before him

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2903 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »

Yes the two before him

I don't mean politically.

Rudd/Gillard/Howard all strike me as intelligent and well-spoken in their own ways.

Abbott is just an awkward weirdo.

Gerks 27/6/11

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2904 on: December 01, 2014, 09:43:43 PM »
compared to the previous government? with the greatest respect big richo you were right the first time you have no idea about politics.

good on TA for making it clear the money is for the east/wink link as he like most sound minded folk do that if not the labor party will most likely waste it as they always seem to do with everything. Nice try Andrews, use the federal's money to rip up the contract and make him look good at the same time. Typical labor move to waste more and more money

The link will go ahead.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2905 on: December 01, 2014, 10:05:24 PM »
compared to the previous government? with the greatest respect big richo you were right the first time you have no idea about politics.

good on TA for making it clear the money is for the east/wink link as he like most sound minded folk do that if not the labor party will most likely waste it as they always seem to do with everything. Nice try Andrews, use the federal's money to rip up the contract and make him look good at the same time. Typical labor move to waste more and more money

The link will go ahead.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2906 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »

Just talking as human beings big Gus.

If you walked into a party and the four of them were there you would have a conversation with the other 3 and leave thinking Abbott was the NQR cousin who has to be watched so he doesn't start masterbating at the dinner table.

Gerks 27/6/11

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2907 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »

The link will go ahead.

Yes good on Tony for suggesting the Vic Premier elect break an election promise. Great effort that. Good ole honest Tony.

Last week he admitted that the Vic election was referendum on the EWL project. But now the majority of Victorians have made their feelings known he won't respect the will of the people. No honest Tony just expects the incoming govt to break a key promise.

Outstanding leadership there  :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2908 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:28 PM »
Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2909 on: December 02, 2014, 03:28:22 AM »
The majority of Victorians want the link so put it there and stop avoiding the inevitable which is to break promise no 1 and flush valuable money down the drain.

Mr Andrews wants the funding from federal right? So TA should give it to him but only for the EW link which is what was agreed, but we all know what they will do with it instead.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.