Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 774222 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #3135 on: May 12, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »
Thought so 65. Must hurt to see something fair for all to that repairs this deficit of ours. I guess  you have nothing to whinge about

No more double dipping mat leave
Plans for tax avoidance by multi nationals
Welfare cuts at the pointy end
Overseas workers will no longer enjoy a tax free component on money earnt.
Small companies tax cuts

The list goes on..
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

dwaino

« Reply #3136 on: May 12, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
Safe budget. Keeps the voters happy but at the end of the day the deficit is still blowing out. But in terms in keeping food on my own table, I have a good boss and work for a great small company and we regularly get looked after with regular pay rises, hansom bonuses, extra days off if needed, Medallion club tickets etc, so as long as the budget looks after my boss then it's business as usual and to be quite honest that's all I care about.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3137 on: May 13, 2015, 04:41:12 AM »

Lots of good news coming out of the Federal Government at the moment.

The budget looks like being more good news.

Is Abbott silly enough to then call an early election.
That would certainly kill any challenge to his leadership. Either he wins the election and gets to remain Prime Minister or he loses the election which will stop Turnbull becoming Prime Minister.

:cheers

As predicted this is an election budget. He will go to the polls if he thinks he has half a chance.

Either he wins (and stops Turnbull) or he loses and Labor inherit a massive debt and deficit problem.

:cheers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3138 on: May 13, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
Yep some good stuff in there, would like the welfare cuts to be a bit harsher, don't go hard enough but hey it's a start.

Still not enough for pensioners at the lower end but again better than what they offered last year

Note it's supposed to be about jobs but one thing that would guarantee one lot of jobs and that's building submarines in this country and it appears to have been ignored, so there jobs going right there. Just like this week at the Navy ship building fatory in Williamstown that's about to cease - 80 people will be put off in the next few weeks. You cannot spruik jobs and then do nothing to ensure jobs remain in areas you can clearly control. I don't want defence force assets where possible built in Australia not off shore.

But to demand the $1.5b back from the East West project is nothing short of abhorrent because it's nothing more than playing politics. How pathetic

What Tony & Joe don't seem to understand or more to the point want to accept that is rightly or wrongly the when we (you know us the public) voted for a change of govt we voted for that project being axed. It was a policy, a promise and lo and behold one that wasn't broken...

Facts are the majority of the people spoke and Fed Govt should respect that but no not the boys in Canberra. Who are they are trying to get back at? An ALP govt or the public. Have to ask why should we the public be punished because Tone & Joey are not getting their way? There are plenty of other infrastructure projects in the pipeline that are just as important but they don't count because .....

As with most budgets has no great impact on me & my family but compared to last year's disgrace it's a lot better. As I said there is some good things in the budget and it's start

Have to agree with 1965, definitely an election budget ....will be interesting to see if people buy it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3139 on: May 13, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »

Let's hope they don't get control of the Senate.

The lying bastards would really screw the little people then.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3140 on: May 13, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »
so you think the public voted over the east west link WP? All the voters like myself in the south east went to the polls on the back of the link? Can tell you the majority of people did not vote on the back of the link, and their decision was made up well before election day.

WP the 1.5 was for the east-west link project. It would be breaking a promise if the federal government would then give the money for some other project which they will most likely screw up like the desal plant.

Unfortunately you will have to suck it up just like dan the man and find something else to moan about.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3141 on: May 13, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
so you think the public voted over the east west link WP? All the voters like myself in the south east went to the polls on the back of the link? Can tell you the majority of people did not vote on the back of the link, and their decision was made up well before election day.

WP the 1.5 was for the east-west link project. It would be breaking a promise if the federal government would then give the money for some other project which they will most likely screw up like the desal plant.

Unfortunately you will have to suck it up just like dan the man and find something else to moan about.

:lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3142 on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:30 PM »

Angus,

Facts are Andrews went to an election with a number of promises. One of which was to axe the East-West project.

Again the fact is his party won a clear majority not a minority a clear majority to form a government based on his promises and policies. Every man and his dog knew that if the ALP got elected the EWcproject would get scrapped. Like it or not that promise has been kept and it was scraped

So if people were so outraged at the prospect of this project being given the flick under the ALP then they shouldn't have voted for them. Let's be honest here if people wanted it to go ahead, viewed as being that important the result would have different. but people made a choice to get rid of an inept government that did secret deals regarding this project and as a consequence the tunnel project went as well. That is what the result said and that's what has happened

My point is the Fed government should respect the decision made those who matter and that's the voters. Don't like result? Bad luck suck it up and except it rather than playing petty politics and grandstanding. Which is what they are doing

I would have thought at the next Fed Election Victoria is going to be pivotal wouldn't think Tony would not want to alienate voters more than he already has but the. But then again Tony's record speaks for itself when it comes to not accepting the will of the electorate

And are you really that naive to think that if Dr Napthine or a coalition govt in another state did a backflip and said we are going to build a rail line out to say Tulla airport instead that Tone would ask for the money back

You and I both know he wouldn't and that's the issue here. So please don't make it about which side of politics one may or may not follow.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3143 on: May 14, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3144 on: May 14, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »

Angus,

Facts are Andrews went to an election with a number of promises. One of which was to axe the East-West project.

Again the fact is his party won a clear majority not a minority a clear majority to form a government based on his promises and policies. Every man and his dog knew that if the ALP got elected the EWcproject would get scrapped. Like it or not that promise has been kept and it was scraped

So if people were so outraged at the prospect of this project being given the flick under the ALP then they shouldn't have voted for them. Let's be honest here if people wanted it to go ahead, viewed as being that important the result would have different. but people made a choice to get rid of an inept government that did secret deals regarding this project and as a consequence the tunnel project went as well. That is what the result said and that's what has happened

My point is the Fed government should respect the decision made those who matter and that's the voters. Don't like result? Bad luck suck it up and except it rather than playing petty politics and grandstanding. Which is what they are doing

I would have thought at the next Fed Election Victoria is going to be pivotal wouldn't think Tony would not want to alienate voters more than he already has but the. But then again Tony's record speaks for itself when it comes to not accepting the will of the electorate

And are you really that naive to think that if Dr Napthine or a coalition govt in another state did a backflip and said we are going to build a rail line out to say Tulla airport instead that Tone would ask for the money back

You and I both know he wouldn't and that's the issue here. So please don't make it about which side of politics one may or may not follow.

i never once said Tone wasnt playing politics, you did. They all do it. I said the funding was for the east west link not another project.

No point discussing it as we all know the funding will get passed on at some point soon.

Also on the link i hear what you are saying but a few times you have alluded to the fact it was a vote based on that project.
Perhaps for a minority of voters in that electorate,  but most victorians went to the polls and knew who they would vote. The link meant very little.

This is how Labor will return to Surplus.

http://www.theage.com.au/money/investing/the-real-budget-winners-20150513-gh0nns.html

so did they announce those changes in the budget reply or when they were in power last time or the one before.

Negative gearing stays and and so it should. A powerful tax reduction initiative in my opinion. Didnt the ALP try to can it in the 80's and then changed their mind again?

No government would tinker with this because most of them are the chief beneficiaries of it.

One thing they should do and i agree is cut the super concessions at the top end. Tax free concessions for those with 2 mil plus balances is not right, but will your mates do it. Doubt it as once again will effect them but i would love to see it happen.

Think its time you sit back and enjoy the ride 65 and start to embrace big joe's paper.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3146 on: May 15, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »

Angus,

i never once said Tone wasnt playing politics, you did. They all do it. I said the funding was for the east west link not another project.

No point discussing it as we all know the funding will get passed on at some point soon.

Also on the link i hear what you are saying but a few times you have alluded to the fact it was a vote based on that project.
Perhaps for a minority of voters in that electorate,  but most victorians went to the polls and knew who they would vote. The link meant very little.

This is how Labor will return to Surplus.

http://www.theage.com.au/money/investing/the-real-budget-winners-20150513-gh0nns.html

so did they announce those changes in the budget reply or when they were in power last time or the one before.

Negative gearing stays and and so it should. A powerful tax reduction initiative in my opinion. Didnt the ALP try to can it in the 80's and then changed their mind again?

No government would tinker with this because most of them are the chief beneficiaries of it.

One thing they should do and i agree is cut the super concessions at the top end. Tax free concessions for those with 2 mil plus balances is not right, but will your mates do it. Doubt it as once again will effect them but i would love to see it happen.

Think its time you sit back and enjoy the ride 65 and start to embrace big joe's paper.

The ALP did can negative gearing in the 80s.
the result was people stopped investing in property.
-> The building industry collapsed.
-> Rents sky rocketed

they reintroduced it not too long after
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3147 on: May 15, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »

The ALP did can negative gearing in the 80s.
the result was people stopped investing in property.
-> The building industry collapsed.
-> Rents sky rocketed

they reintroduced it not too long after

Rubbish.

Rents went up in Perth and Sydney but nowhere else.

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/residential/compelling-case-to-end-negative-gearing-says-saul-eslake-20140930-119m0e

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3148 on: May 15, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
according to one mammon loving israelite.

why did they reistate then?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3149 on: May 15, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
of course saul doent explain why the rental vacancies were only 2%,  2 years after negative gearing was scrapped. I wouldnt have anything to do with people stopping investing in properties would it?

nor does he mention that housing prices didnt fall compared to income, while rentals v income rose?

selective use and very little info given. what is he talking about? median? top end rents? bottom end rents? plus no mention of the effect it had on the building industry.

perhaps you should actually gather info and form your own opinions rather just parroting newspaper articles all the time?