Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 747106 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4516 on: June 03, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »

Not even I would go this far.

:lol

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/it-may-yet-turn-out-that-this-was-a-good-election-to-have-lost-20190531-p51t9n.html
The author of that article is on far more than the prime minister and it's a middle of the road university too.... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4517 on: June 03, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
90% of the subjects taught at Uni are useless crap for useless people. :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4518 on: June 03, 2019, 01:25:07 PM »
90% of the subjects taught at Uni are useless crap for useless people. :shh

Let me guess you didn't go to University?

Is that where you learnt to use the ignore function?  :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4519 on: June 03, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4520 on: June 03, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/it-may-yet-turn-out-that-this-was-a-good-election-to-have-lost-20190531-p51t9n.html
The author of that article is on far more than the prime minister and it's a middle of the road university too.... :shh

Let me guess you went to Melbourne Uni?

Go and have a look at University rankings and get back to me. The reference was from its ranking which is independent of where I went to University. Anyhow, even if he was from Melbourne University, vice chancellors there are on $900K. Of course they are happy to espouse left wing ideas because they have their ivory towers at the University. Sort of like Union bosses who are happy to be on God knows how much, but preach that the common man should be on more but then are happy to take their union fees..... :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4521 on: June 06, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »
Yes you might say the rate of interest here is at an all-time low.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4522 on: June 07, 2019, 03:51:06 AM »

Go and have a look at University rankings and get back to me. The reference was from its ranking which is independent of where I went to University. Anyhow, even if he was from Melbourne University, vice chancellors there are on $900K. Of course they are happy to espouse left wing ideas because they have their ivory towers at the University. Sort of like Union bosses who are happy to be on God knows how much, but preach that the common man should be on more but then are happy to take their union fees..... :shh

As someone who works at a university I'm going to have to chime in here. The rankings are a classic case of facts vs truth. Firstly surveys are conducted and reputation is a metric that gets calculated which is as moronic and subjective of a metric to use in anything. But more importantly, if you look at the top 10 or top 20 all those universities are very old. As such by having such a long history (eg. Oxford) they have received resources from the state a lot longer than say Imperial College of London. The same analogy can be applied for a group of 8 university vs non G8.

As a biomedical researcher, if you ask anyone in the field, no one who spends a 70hr working week (with no unpaid overtime) at the bench cares about the rankings. The only people who do are vice chancellors or PR departments spruiking the university for international student full fees. The fact of the matter is we live in a time that the university system is broken and a lot of that is due to deregulation. Teaching quality is at an all time low, there is a palpable brain drain in Australia. Both parties have contributed to this but the LNP is waaaaaaay more responsible for the current climate research is in.

tl;dr version. Times University Ranking is on par with Supercoach points/Champion data as a representation of how good a player is.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4523 on: June 08, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »

As someone who works at a university I'm going to have to chime in here. The rankings are a classic case of facts vs truth. Firstly surveys are conducted and reputation is a metric that gets calculated which is as moronic and subjective of a metric to use in anything. But more importantly, if you look at the top 10 or top 20 all those universities are very old. As such by having such a long history (eg. Oxford) they have received resources from the state a lot longer than say Imperial College of London. The same analogy can be applied for a group of 8 university vs non G8.

As a biomedical researcher, if you ask anyone in the field, no one who spends a 70hr working week (with no unpaid overtime) at the bench cares about the rankings. The only people who do are vice chancellors or PR departments spruiking the university for international student full fees. The fact of the matter is we live in a time that the university system is broken and a lot of that is due to deregulation. Teaching quality is at an all time low, there is a palpable brain drain in Australia. Both parties have contributed to this but the LNP is waaaaaaay more responsible for the current climate research is in.

tl;dr version. Times University Ranking is on par with Supercoach points/Champion data as a representation of how good a player is.
There are many ways of ranking universities. I stand by my statement that Latrobe is a middle of the road University though. That’s not to belittle it but to state a fact. The best performing students by and large don’t go there as their first preference. That is a fact. The best research most often comes out of Melbourne and Monash Universities. The top Law firms only take top graduates from the two universities I mentioned. That isn’t opinion. That is fact. The world is competitive and as harsh as it sounds, in the world of destination Universities, Latrobe isn’t one of them. Of course that isn’t to say that a graduate from Latrobe can’t have a hugely successful career. Ahmed Fahour for instance, is a former Latrobe Graduate and he has been as successful as anyone when it comes to accomplishments.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4524 on: June 09, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »

Is anybody game to admit to regretting voting Liberal?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2019/jun/09/coalitions-lies-damned-lies-and-election-winning-strategies

the sweet taste of victory is tasting better by the day

my only regret is not going hard enough celebrating on election night.

enjoy the next 3 years mate, maybe 6

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4525 on: June 09, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
Y&BB I agree that melb and Monash are the destination unis in Victoria. My point wasn’t that they aren’t. My point is ranking a uni is highly subjective and is largely skewed by how old a uni is. I did my bachelors at la Trobe and work at Monash and can confidently say the quality of teaching is vastly superior at la Trobe. The research output isn’t of course. Not even close.

But then not everyone wants to do research in an academia environment. My question is a philosophical one. If you don’t want to work I’m a uni for research and you’re only going to get a degree and leave that world behind do you go to a university that’s ranked higher based on prestige and has more resources or the one with superior teaching?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4526 on: June 09, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »
Y&BB I agree that melb and Monash are the destination unis in Victoria. My point wasn’t that they aren’t. My point is ranking a uni is highly subjective and is largely skewed by how old a uni is. I did my bachelors at la Trobe and work at Monash and can confidently say the quality of teaching is vastly superior at la Trobe. The research output isn’t of course. Not even close.

But then not everyone wants to do research in an academia environment. My question is a philosophical one. If you don’t want to work I’m a uni for research and you’re only going to get a degree and leave that world behind do you go to a university that’s ranked higher based on prestige and has more resources or the one with superior teaching?
There is no doubt that the best workers in their field are those who work hardest and longest. That has nothing to do with which University they came from. Teaching at Universities also varies from year to year and course to course. In your area, Latrobe may well have superior teaching to say Monash. Monash may have better lecturers in other areas. I can tell you from my own experience many years ago that even in Medicine, there were excellent lecturers and some pretty ordinary ones and that was at Melbourne. How some of those ordinary ones kept their job I don’t know. I guess once you are in it’s hard to dislodge people from academic posts which is another problem in the teaching game.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4527 on: June 09, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
Even our best universities are being poisoned by far-Left ideology
Universities once celebrated achievement, critical thinking and diverse views but are now mired in groupthink and the promotion of views that have created a hostile, genuinely intolerant environment

Your university degree might be useless
Experts say the future of the traditional degree structure is limited, but does that mean your ...

One would have to look long and hard to find institutions as captured by the toxic doctrine of identity politics as universities.

Institutions that once celebrated achievement, critical thinking and diversity of views are mired in groupthink and the promotion of a far-Left ideology, particularly in the arts, humanities and social sciences.

If you have a child who is contemplating higher education, then you should be aware of what is happening at Australian universities.

The growth of junk degrees and the devaluation of university education has coincided with the rise of cultural Marxism.

How Leftists unmasked their own hypocrisy … again

Indoctrination starts at primary and secondary school where, under the guise of “inclusion” and “diversity”, a Left-wing narrative that is neither inclusive nor diverse is relentlessly pushed.

When parents see these weasel words, they should examine closely what is being promoted.

By the time students enter university, they have been well conditioned to swallow increasingly radical notions like the doctrine that Western civilisation, the greatest global force for equality, freedom, enlightenment and opportunity, is hopelessly mired in racism, sexism and bigotry.

Emotions are allowed to trump facts, history is redefined and students are encouraged to see the world through a simplistic prism of the oppressors and the oppressed.

Even the best universities, such as Melbourne University, are not immune to toxic ideology.
It’s a phenomenon that has created a hostile, genuinely intolerant environment at universities, where robust debate and pursuit of truth can be tantamount to hate speech.

When mainstream conservatives are routinely attacked, silenced or completely deplatformed, then you know something has gone terribly wrong in our learning institutions.

Of course, this isn’t a uniquely Australian problem, the radical Left’s march through institutions is evident in the US, Britain and much of the West.

As scholar and economist Thomas Sowell said: “Our whole educational system, from the elementary schools to the universities, is increasingly turning out people who have never heard enough conflicting arguments to develop the skills and discipline required to produce a coherent analysis, based on logic and evidence.”

If you think that the best universities are immune from this toxic idiocy, then you haven’t been paying attention.

Melbourne University has long been promoted as the country’s best and boasts an international ranking significantly higher than its competitors, according to The Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

It’s for that reason it was selected by international student Zachary Snowdon Smith as the ideal place to attend a masters in journalism program.

But it didn’t take long for the postgraduate student to be exposed to the extreme-Left ideology that is poisoning intellectual pursuit.

Women’s rights campaigner Ayaan Hirsi Ali is scornful of those who ignore or seek to rationalise harmful cultural or religious practises. Picture: AAP
Snowdon Smith wrote about his experience in online publication Quillette: “The first indication I received that something had gone awry at Australia’s best university was in a criminology class titled ‘Violence, Trauma, and Reconciliation’.

“The instructor, Dr Juliet Rogers, devoted a lecture to female genital mutilation — a natural enough topic for a class on trauma.

“In Rogers’s view, however, the true source of trauma was not the practice of FGM, itself, but the ‘violence’ of anti-FGM laws.

“After all, Western societies pressure women into body modification in the form of ear piercings — so who are we to pass judgment on those who practice clitorectomies and infibulations on children? And isn’t it true that legislators’ supposed concern with FGM is actually motivated by

Yes, your tax dollars are funding students at Australia’s top university being told the evil of FGM is not that different to women in the West choosing to pierce their ears.

Dr Rogers, a senior lecturer at Melbourne University, expands on this monumentally moronic theme in a paper published in 2016 where she writes: “For each claim that a woman’s sexual health is impacted, there is a study which suggests it is not, and others which suggest it is enhanced. For each claim of trauma, there is another which claims empowerment.”

Naturally, this brand of moral relativism is not shared by medical professionals who’ve seen girls and women who’ve undergone this brutal practice.

Professor Elizabeth Elliott: “All types of female genital mutilation are traumatic for young girls and potentially harmful.”
Professor Elizabeth Elliott, who conducted a study into Australian girls as young as five months suffering FGM, is unequivocal in describing the harm it causes.

“FGM is a form of gender-based violence, is an abuse of human rights, and is associated with significant and often lifelong, health and psychological consequences,” she said.

“All types of FGM are traumatic for young girls and potentially harmful, including the more ‘minor’ procedures such as pricking or nicking and regardless of who performs the procedure and where.”

Women’s rights campaigner Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who herself suffered FGM, is scornful of those who ignore or seek to rationalise harmful cultural or religious practises.

“People are willing to sacrifice little girls on the altar of identity politics,” she said.

Snowdon Smith’s article details other instances of extreme ideology and an unrelenting obsession with identity politics he encountered at Melbourne Uni, but perhaps just as disheartening as the compromised curriculums is the ease with which he passed what was once a challenging degree.

He writes: “In Terror, Law and War, the essays I submitted consisted of structureless, deliberately turgid summaries of class readings, enlivened with the odd anti-Western cliche and handed in without proofreading or revision.

“This seemed to be the level of seriousness appropriate to the class.

“My diploma is proof that this material, produced almost without conscious effort, was up to the standards of Australia’s top university.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/rita-panahi/rita-panahi-even-our-best-universities-are-being-poisoned-by-farleft-ideology/news-story/41dc95841a1f9055797371e80a083826
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4528 on: June 10, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »

Does anybody really think we can afford $33 billion in tax cuts to people who earn over $180,000 per year?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/10/coalitions-income-tax-plan-will-gift-highest-earners-33bn
The $33bn is an estimate over 5 years, not per year.....

The likelihood is that the GST will rise too (as it needs to). If that happens, our net tax collection will most probably rise.

Stages 1&2 will see lower income tax rates fall first. Stage 3 probably won't be passed by the senate IMHO.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4529 on: June 10, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »

Does anybody really think we can afford $33 billion in tax cuts to people who earn over $180,000 per year?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/10/coalitions-income-tax-plan-will-gift-highest-earners-33bn
The $33bn is an estimate over 5 years, not per year.....

The likelihood is that the GST will rise too (as it needs to). If that happens, our net tax collection will most probably rise.

Stages 1&2 will see lower income tax rates fall first. Stage 3 probably won't be passed by the senate IMHO.

So was that a yes or a no?
Who honestly knows? No one here certainly.