Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 739151 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4560 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
Another big win for scomo today that not surprisingly went unnoticed on here.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/scott-morrisons-tax-cuts-victory-puts-labor-on-the-back-foot/news-story/716b7c98474518e98f604daa3bda389c
Probably because both sides of politics supported the first two stages for lower & middle incomes while stage 3 is 5 years away and will do nothing to address the current deteriorating state of the national economy.

The RBA is trying to do the heavy lifting by cutting already low interest rates to further record lows due to lack of action and reform by the federal government. However, while low rates help borrowers, it hurts those with savings accounts such as those on the pension. The latter are going backwards.

Australia needs reform and mass infrastructure spending to modernise and lower the cost of living to get the economy going again but that isn't going to happen when $158b is flittered away on personal income tax cuts; the bulk of which will go to those on higher incomes. The private sector isn't going to build this infrastructure (eg: public transport, energy, etc). Who knows what budget cuts to infrastructure spending and public services will be needed to pay for the stage 3 tax cuts. There's also going to be renewed pressure from big business to bring back the dumped corporate tax cuts which if implemented would hit the budget bottom line further. Of course, we could just follow the USA and rack up more and more debt for a sugar hit.

Anyway, the majority voted for "no change" (in more ways than one) so the rest of us accept the result and see what happens over the next 3 years under the current federal government's policies. They have a friendly Senate crossbench so there will be no excuses.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4561 on: July 17, 2019, 04:03:37 PM »
Millionaire Australian businessman Dick Smith received $500,000 in franking credits from the government in a single year, in what he called an "outrageous" use of taxpayers' money that should be subject to a means test.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6277768/its-outrageous-dick-smith-received-500000-of-franking-credit-refunds-in-one-year/?cs=14230

But it's not a rort to some  ::).

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4562 on: July 17, 2019, 08:15:54 PM »
Millionaire Australian businessman Dick Smith received $500,000 in franking credits from the government in a single year, in what he called an "outrageous" use of taxpayers' money that should be subject to a means test.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6277768/its-outrageous-dick-smith-received-500000-of-franking-credit-refunds-in-one-year/?cs=14230

But it's not a rort to some  ::).
Why doesn't he donate it to a good cause like the Salvation Army? If he thinks it's a rort and he shouldn't have it, give it to those who do need it.

He also must be in the 0.1% of the population who benefit that much..... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4563 on: August 12, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »
So apparently Jeffrey Epstein left a suicide note and it was signed by his mother... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4564 on: August 13, 2019, 09:18:52 AM »
So apparently Jeffrey Epstein left a suicide note and it was signed by his mother... :shh

I think Epstein was definitely imploding.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4565 on: August 13, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
 :lol

:cheers

- Gustav Mahler

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4566 on: August 22, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
Former deputy PM Tim Fischer has passed away

Doesn't matter which side of politics you lean towards; Tim Fischer was a great pollie. One of our best

He represents what we are missing today ... focus on making things better for all, not just some

A true gentleman that I had the pleasure of meeting a few years ago now at the Yackadandah Bakery.

Vale Mr Fischer
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4568 on: September 22, 2019, 09:54:27 AM »
The budget supposedly back in or close to back in surplus thank to slashing $4.6 billion in funding to the NDIS

Meanwhile over at the Franking Credit table that richly deserved handout, the Govt has forked out just on $16 billion in Franking credits since being re-elected in May

Not really sure how you can justify that but I am sure they and others will do there best

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4569 on: September 22, 2019, 12:00:25 PM »
The budget supposedly back in or close to back in surplus thank to slashing $4.6 billion in funding to the NDIS

Meanwhile over at the Franking Credit table that richly deserved handout, the Govt has forked out just on $16 billion in Franking credits since being re-elected in May

Not really sure how you can justify that but I am sure they and others will do there best

100% il defend it in certain situations.

nothing wrong with franking credits to those who cant access welfare IMO.

BUT. there should be a cap of say $10,000 per couple, and only those who earn less than the min annual salary, and dont have millions in super they can draw down.

i do believe those who earn less than $50k p/y family income, and not entitled to welfare,  should receive it. Why hasnt anyone put this case forward?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4570 on: September 22, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »

100% il defend it in certain situations.

nothing wrong with franking credits to those who cant access welfare IMO.

BUT. there should be a cap of say $10,000 per couple, and only those who earn less than the min annual salary, and dont have millions in super they can draw down.

i do believe those who earn less than $50k p/y family income, and not entitled to welfare,  should receive it. Why hasnt anyone put this case forward?

Excellent points Frankie

Seems much fairer than what we have now, especially when read about there not being enough NDIS funding to enable a young girl in Brissie with Cerebal Palsy not being able to get a new electric wheelchair. While someone gets $10k in franking credits + a part pension 

BTW Sounds very much along the lines of the majority of a policy of the side that was defeated at the election  ;D

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4571 on: September 22, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »
Except it wasn't.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4573 on: November 12, 2019, 05:40:56 PM »
Catastrophic bushfires in spring.

But climate change is crap apparently haha

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4574 on: November 12, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
You do realise some were deliberately lit?

Also can someone explain what this is all about?  Happened before in Sydney and was said to be confirmed as being Chaff

https://m.facebook.com/7NEWSBrisbane/videos/444046366316733/?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fwatch%2F&_rdr

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.