Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766338 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #4860 on: April 24, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »

no, its not enough. Not by my standards but by the NZ people. The reporting on her has not been favourable.

And the reporting on ScoMo has been great either but he is doing a great job you keep saying. So negative reporting on one leader means nothing but negative reporting on another means alot? Sorry you can't apply one standard for pne and not the other. It dilutes the argument

FWIW I have a friend who moved back there about 4 and a bit year's ago. She said the NZ she lives in now is the best it's been and she didn't vote for Ardern in 2017 but would now without hesitation. She works in the health sector. The improvement in health sector funding has been in her view brilliant. The run down hospital she works at has been upgraded and moved into the 21st century...

re: your last comment. Thank you, but it didnt stop you having a dig at scomo. Im sure if it was gillard you wouldnt have even brought this up :shh

2 points

1/ read my entire comment again. Yes I whacked the PM (rightly) for refusing to lead by example and take a pay cut. But I said it is a blight on ALL our pollies. That means everyone of them Libs, Hat's, ALP, Greens every single one of them

2/ following on from the above to suggest if it was Gillard I wouldn't have bought it up is wrong not to mention a cheap shot. I'd be whacking her or whoever the PM was/is because ALL means ALL.

Thats great about your friend, though it doesnt really hide from the fact her performance hasnt been that great as you put it.

She closed the borders and they still have the same amount of deaths as most of our states. I also read the other day there are some people taking her to court so she isnt liked by a fair few people over there.

On the national debt.  From what i understood we were about to deliver a budget surplus in May. How does Victorias stack up? Surely they were about to announce a surplus too before all this happened?

As the days go on its very clear scomo has been the best leader in the world in regards to how he has handled this pandemic. Many ALP voters i know have now conceded he has done a tremendous job and would vote for him based on this performance. Unfortunately for the haters its back to the drawing board.

Scomos views on Virgin, and now on the schools reopening has been excellent and shows that as a leader he is ready to make the big calls. :bow

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4861 on: April 24, 2020, 03:59:20 PM »

Thats great about your friend, though it doesnt really hide from the fact her performance hasnt been that great as you put it.

She closed the borders and they still have the same amount of deaths as most of our states. I also read the other day there are some people taking her to court so she isnt liked by a fair few people over there.

Have a read about what the law suit was about.

It should give you a laugh, she was being taken to court over lockdown rules. You know one of the things you (and me for that matter) praise ScoMo for.

law suit has been dismissed BTW

She has done a great job in protecting her country and they are on the road back, a bit like here isn't it?

On the national debt.  From what i understood we were about to deliver a budget surplus in May. How does Victorias stack up? Surely they were about to announce a surplus too before all this happened?

A surplus is not the same as our ever increasing growing national debt (borrowings).

But you are aware that the surplus the govt were boasting about was only possible by them taking money from the futures fund; funds in earmarked for things like the NDIS  :o, yes my hobby horse the NDIS had further funding ripped out of it to enable this govt to achieve a surplus - that is disgraceful.

So if you are proud of govt that cuts funding to those that needed it most to achieve a "claytons surplus" then you are backing a winner

Funnily enough even before this crisis there were those within the govt that said they were not going to achieve the promised surplus (even Joshie the treasurue tripped up and it and within 30 seconds said he didn't say it  ;D)

As the days go on its very clear scomo has been the best leader in the world in regards to how he has handled this pandemic. Many ALP voters i know have now conceded he has done a tremendous job and would vote for him based on this performance. Unfortunately for the haters its back to the drawing board.

Scomos views on Virgin, and now on the schools reopening has been excellent and shows that as a leader he is ready to make the big calls. :bow

ScoMo has done very well that is clear; he has made some very poor calls early on but overall has got us to good place.

But so to has his national Cabinet. It has been said by a number of people that ScoMo has been pushed by a number of the Premiers in making tough calls because the certain Premiers where going out on their own for to make their states safe.

Is he best leader in the world? matter of opinion but I am thankful that we have him and not that lunatic in the USA.

If people want to vote based on this that's their call but there's always more to consider or at least should be. For this one positive there are still so many negatives.

The lying by a certain minister about the Ruby Princess (the day that spud takes responsibility for that stuff up and quits the better we will be), the sports grant debacle, the under funding of basic services are but a few. But if they don't matter to people now, fair enough
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4862 on: April 24, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »

Can't get past the fact that Scotty from Marketing is not making decisions. By and large it is the State Premiers making the decisions considering the advice of the medical boffins.

And as a front man he Scotty from Marketing has been less than perfect.

The pressure got to him and he teared up when talking about one of the lock down recommendations. The fact that it was the limit on people attending funerals that he was close to tears. Says a lot about our happy clapper PM. People dying all over the country and it is funerals that gets to him.

Still think he will retire before the next election. Clearly not up to this sort of pressure.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4863 on: April 24, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »
Rubbish absolute rubbish TT.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4864 on: April 24, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »
Rubbish absolute rubbish TT.
Which bit(s)?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4865 on: April 25, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »
Interesting article

https://www.theage.com.au/national/scott-morrison-has-a-good-story-to-tell-but-the-world-isn-t-listening-20200424-p54mt3.html

"Morrison carries two pieces of baggage onto the global stage: his mansplaining manner, and his unflinching loyalty to the leader with the most catastrophic response to the pandemic so far, Donald Trump."

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4866 on: April 27, 2020, 10:26:41 AM »
Mr Morrison has had the highest approval PM rating since 2008 or something

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4867 on: April 27, 2020, 11:02:13 AM »

yes saw that Chucky, over 54%

No surprise to be honest

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4868 on: April 27, 2020, 03:38:32 PM »

Can't get past the fact that Scotty from Marketing is not making decisions. By and large it is the State Premiers making the decisions considering the advice of the medical boffins.

And as a front man he Scotty from Marketing has been less than perfect.

The pressure got to him and he teared up when talking about one of the lock down recommendations. The fact that it was the limit on people attending funerals that he was close to tears. Says a lot about our happy clapper PM. People dying all over the country and it is funerals that gets to him.

Still think he will retire before the next election. Clearly not up to this sort of pressure.

words?

in some ways your becoming worse than 65. At least he brought a little bit of humour to the table, but mostly ridiculous statements.

straighten up son .

Hows scomo numbers looking by the way? Its clear you hate him and thats fine, so you must think shorten would have done a better job?  :lol

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4869 on: April 27, 2020, 04:13:30 PM »
How about contributing to the debate rather than just having pot shots at other posters?

Cheers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4870 on: April 27, 2020, 05:17:44 PM »
How about contributing to the debate rather than just having pot shots at other posters?

Cheers

debate with you? I've tried you have 65 syndrome and only contribute if its anti scomo or trump

take a lead from WP as your hatred is boring.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4871 on: April 27, 2020, 05:26:09 PM »

Cheers

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4872 on: April 27, 2020, 06:09:47 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what he has actually done that's not someone else's idea. Admittedly he is good at making up new names for things; jobkeeper, jobseeker, national cabinet etc.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4873 on: April 28, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »

No surprise to be honest

Not as good as Danny Andrews now at 70%

Up 20% since he was re-elected in Nov 2018. In fairness though,  not much competition he Vic Libs are a joke  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4874 on: April 28, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »

No surprise to be honest
Following the experts' advice in a crisis and especially handing out money is popular  :shh.

ps. 12 years almost to the day since Rudd hit his Newspoll peak out of interest.

-------------------------------

Morrison's test will be when these 'stimulus' measures (which cost four-times what Rudd's did) have to be wound back after September and tough unpopular decisions will have to be made to make inroads into the massive budget deficit and almost trillion dollar debt we will be left with. Giving out money is easy but taking these 'entitlements' back even when financially right and prudent to do so has been a political nightmare in Australia especially over the past decade or so. That's when political popularity can quickly dissipate.

Unemployment for example is expected to remain high not only this year but throughout 2021. Halving the jobseeker payment after September and expecting people to live on just $40 a day as it was before the covid-19 crisis is going to be a huge issue with so many expected to still be out of a job. 

The reality is life doesn't snap back to the way it was before a crisis. The world will have permanently changed in some ways (eg: a more tech-based connected society, a more cash-less economy, more online shopping, etc...). Many bricks & mortar retailers won't return which means less retail jobs. It's a slow rebuild economically and people quickly become impatient (some already are on Morrison's own side and we haven't even started the road back). If Morrison thinks he can just stick to typical LNP-script and promise to offer even more tax cuts we can't afford later this year and somehow that will miraculously fix things including reducing the massive debt then he is kidding himself. Trickle down economics has never worked. There needs to be genuine reform of and across the economy which includes the LNP's older base and their over-generous middle-class welfare. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd