Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766374 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #5130 on: June 16, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
In light of this damning revelations on our great premier and his team, i'm curious why One Eyed hasnt posted one single article on the matter.

:shh :shh i smell a bit of bias here.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5131 on: June 16, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
This is 1000 times worse than sports rorts. At least the libs were creating sports facilities for people. The Labor rubbish is just about them for them with no benefits to anyone else.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5132 on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
Third Victorian minister quits
COVID-19 is being overshadowed in Victoria as a third Andrews government minister quits over a growing branch stacking scandal.

Consumer Affairs Minister Marlene Kairouz said she had quit cabinet on Tuesday, a day after minister Adem Somyurek was sacked and Assistant Treasurer Robin Scott resigned.

"I no longer want these matters to be a distraction to the government. They have placed en ormous pressure on my family and caused them great distress," she said.

Mr Somyurek was revealed to have denegrated colleagues and government staffers in an investigation by The Age and 60 Minutes. He denies branch stacking allegations but has also quit the Labor Party.

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-education/wall-st-slumps-on-new-virus-wave-fears-20200616-p552w7

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5133 on: June 16, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »
This is 1000 times worse than sports rorts. At least the libs were creating sports facilities for people. The Labor rubbish is just about them for them with no benefits to anyone else.

100% which explains why there are no articles being posted by one eyed. MT gone missing too.

Now that the rhetoric from these bunch of left wing fools has changed to "they all do it, and they are all dishonest" Do guys like trump and scomo get afforded the same luxury for their issues when compared to previous governments, or do we still view people like the Clintons and B Shorton as such honorable people. :lol :lol

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5134 on: June 16, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
This thread is awesome
Just keeps on giving

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5135 on: June 16, 2020, 11:48:24 AM »
I condemn them all when they do it.

Personally I like Andrews for VIC and hope he isn't involved/survives but it's not good for the party's chances.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5136 on: June 16, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »
In light of this damning revelations on our great premier and his team, i'm curious why One Eyed hasnt posted one single article on the matter.

Why would I post info that has already been posted well before the time I log on here :huh3. I wasn't around until nearly 4pm yesterday and I've just logged on in the last 30 mins today. I'll make sure next time though I tell my dentist to keep a radio on the news and stop the procedure so I can post or I even tell my Aunty who is telling me the latest about my Uncle who has been told he has 6-12 months to live due to cancer to not call me so I can keep you instantly informed 24/7 on here. But hey you keep thinking "bias" ::).

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5137 on: June 16, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
Finally we heard from someone. Thank you K Rudd. now they want to get Bracks in to head the review. Classic ALP just a bunch of crooks

https://www.afr.com/politics/third-victorian-minister-out-over-labor-branch-stacking-20200616-p55308

You could be number four': Labor in chaos

The Andrews Labor government in Victoria is facing an existential crisis over allegations of industrial-scale branch stacking, after a third minister was forced to resign and the Premier referred the matter to police.

Opposition Leader Michael O'Brien used the resumption of State Parliament on Tuesday to target Mental Health Minister Martin Foley, warning "you could be number four".

Mr O'Brien is calling for a broad independent inquiry, warning that former Victorian Labor Premier and chairman of Maurice Blackburn Steve Bracks – tipped to lead a review – is "hopelessly conflicted".

Marlene Kairouz with Premier Daniel Andrews in 2018.  AAP

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews defended the attacks by referring the allegations to Victoria Police and corruption watchdog IBAC, as two plain clothed officials attended dumped powerbroker Adem Somyurek's house on Tuesday.

Former Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd called Labor's unelected factions the "core element of the cancer", despite Federal Labor leader Anthony Albanese seeking to play down any federal connection.

"When you have unelected factions who exercise closet power, covert power, secret power within the political parties, then it gives rise to these sorts of behaviours," Mr Rudd warned.

Minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation, Marlene Kairouz became the third minister to stand down in the space of 24 hours, after secret recordings revealed by The Age and 60 Minutes showed she encouraged staff to work on branch-stacking activities with Mr Somyurek, who was sacked on Monday morning.

"This morning I notified the Premier that I will stand aside from my ministerial responsibilities and notified the Governor of the resignation of my commission," she said in a statement.

Investigators outside the house of Adem Somyurek in Melbourne. AAP

"I no longer want these matters to be a distraction to the government. They have placed enormous pressure on my family and caused them great distress. I look forward to the opportunity to clear my name and am confident any investigative process will do so," she said.

However, Ms Kairouz is refusing to stand down as an MP.

"I note that these matters do not relate to any allegations of criminality or corruption. I will continue to serve my electorate of Kororoit, which remains the greatest honour of my life."

Victorian assistant treasurer and Minister for Veterans Robin Scott, a factional ally of Mr Somyurek, also quit the cabinet on Monday afternoon following the allegations but will also continue to serve as the MP for Preston while investigations by police and IBAC take their course.

It is alleged that Mr Somyurek used political advisers to stack party branches with fake ALP members to amass power within the Andrews state government.

It also alleged that he handed over thousands of dollars in secret cash drop-offs in an attempt to amass power, based on recordings of phone calls between him and a senior adviser.

Adam Somyurek leaves his home in Lynbrook on Monday morning.

Second Victorian minister quits amid corruption allegations
The Opposition used Parliament on Tuesday to quiz Mr Foley about the conduct of his ministerial staff, singling out Mr Foley's chief of staff, Matt Hilakari.

Former premier Steve Bracks and former federal minister Jenny Macklin are tipped to lead a review by Labor's national executive and Mr Albanese.

The Victorian MP and ALP factional powerbroker is facing allegations of branch stacking and illegal conduct.

However the state Opposition used the resumption of State Parliament to apply pressure for more resignations and undermine the proposed review.

"Steve Bracks is personally connected with many current senior figures of the ALP which makes it impossible for him to be objective in any review," shadow attorney general Edward O'Donoghue said.

"Further, as chairman of Maurice Blackburn he is hopelessly conflicted," he said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5138 on: June 16, 2020, 03:04:41 PM »

Why would I post info that has already been posted well before the time I log on here :huh3. I wasn't around until nearly 4pm yesterday and I've just logged on in the last 30 mins today. I'll make sure next time though I tell my dentist to keep a radio on the news and stop the procedure so I can post or I even tell my Aunty who is telling me the latest about my Uncle who has been told he has 6-12 months to live due to cancer to not call me so I can keep you instantly informed 24/7 on here. But hey you keep thinking "bias" ::).

fair enough, apologies

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5139 on: June 16, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »
"One of the questions I get when I travel round Australia is 'how come no one from the banks has gone to jail?'", he told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday.

"When you see this all theft, when you see the systemic looting of Australian consumers.

"If you steal from a bank, you go to jail, but if a bank steals from you, they get a promotion and a bonus and a big car."

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5678963/why-have-bank-execs-avoided-jail-shorten/

This hasnt aged well for the great man Billy Shorten.

Where was the outcry here and the "they all do it" I wonder if the same applies here, which it should, for his great party mates or doesn't it count? :shh

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5140 on: June 16, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
"One of the questions I get when I travel round Australia is 'how come no one from the banks has gone to jail?'", he told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday.

"When you see this all theft, when you see the systemic looting of Australian consumers.

"If you steal from a bank, you go to jail, but if a bank steals from you, they get a promotion and a bonus and a big car."

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5678963/why-have-bank-execs-avoided-jail-shorten/

This hasnt aged well for the great man Billy Shorten.

Where was the outcry here and the "they all do it" I wonder if the same applies here, which it should, for his great party mates or doesn't it count? :shh

Take it you haven't heard Shortens comments from this morning then?

So now we are going to rank corruption? And if we think it isn't too bad, we ignore it?

No thanks

Doesn't matter the scale anyone involved in it, from any party should be booted. End of story

On this there should only be one set of rules.

Rules that apply to every single pollie from the PM (basically lying about the sports rorts even though it's been proven he knew about it), to state premiers, to back benchers, to the the no name independent sitting in the senate

You can't pick and choose when you enforce the rules.

We might end up with no one in parliament but when you look at what we've got at the moment (again both sides) that might not be such a bad thing
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5141 on: June 17, 2020, 06:26:02 AM »

Interesting comparison. The Labor party have acted swiftly to acknowledge the problem and to fix it.

What did the Libs to in regard to the Sports rorts? They went into denial and covered it up the best they could.

Ever wonder why the Libs don't want a Federal Corruption Commission with teeth? They know they would be in trouble.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5142 on: June 17, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
How many more ALP ministers were involved here. I reckon there is more to come and more who will lose their jobs. Its just the tip of the iceberg.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #5143 on: June 17, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
How many more ALP ministers were involved here. I reckon there is more to come and more who will lose their jobs. Its just the tip of the iceberg.

Be honest you are just being hopeful.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5144 on: June 17, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »

Spot on the money Ramps, much much more to come here  :shh