Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766342 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #6495 on: December 20, 2023, 04:23:57 PM »

A total misread of the room that cost the Australian public millions of dollars 

Only 400 Chuck

It’s ok

#airbusaway
#albomuststay
#coalitionmole

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6496 on: December 22, 2023, 11:52:18 AM »

Only 400 Chuck

It’s ok

#airbusaway
#albomuststay
#coalitionmole

i see this didnt get a reply. :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6497 on: December 22, 2023, 05:02:55 PM »
Talking of spending millions of dollars, why would the Labor party pay Higgins over $2m for an alledged rape?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6498 on: December 22, 2023, 08:56:29 PM »

Only 400 Chuck

It’s ok

#airbusaway
#albomuststay
#coalitionmole

i see this didnt get a reply. :shh

Wow, I wasn't aware that I had to reply to everything in this thread in a timeframe deemed appropriate by you  ::)

Sorry that my life and more importantly my family got in the way  >:(

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6499 on: December 24, 2023, 02:50:17 PM »
LNP/Murdoch logic:

Dutton & co. wasting $5.5 billion on non-existent French subs, sports rorts, water rorts, land rorts, car park rorts, $1 trillion debt, out of control 6% inflation & rising, etc = all good.

Holding a democratic election/referendum (cost $400m) that was an election promise to get the public's view = bad.

:rollin

Our democratic rights cost us just $17 each to vote = the cost of a pizza. Small price to pay when compared to the 100,000 Aussies who paid the ultimate price to protect those rights. Talk about ungrateful! Clearly, "Lest We Forget" is just an empty slogan to those that parrot the treacherous Murdoch scum ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6500 on: December 24, 2023, 03:25:36 PM »
Talking of spending millions of dollars, why would the Labor party pay Higgins over $2m for an alledged rape?
The Labor party didn't pay anything. It was the government and it was a settlement. If the LNP were still in government then they would've done the exact same thing to avoid being sued for a higher amount plus court costs.

The question that needs answering is why would a major media network pay a six-figure amount in rent to someone allegedly accused of rape by multiple women? It's all very suss!

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/courts-law/bruce-lehrmann-met-toowoomba-woman-at-strip-club-before-rape-police-allege/news-story/1801ba5d43f5c51c4f5078d9a4df1938

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6501 on: December 24, 2023, 03:37:56 PM »
LNP/Murdoch logic:

Dutton & co. wasting $5.5 billion on non-existent French subs

Link please

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6504 on: December 24, 2023, 04:14:34 PM »
LNP/Murdoch logic:

Dutton & co. wasting $5.5 billion on non-existent French subs

Link please
https://www.macaubusiness.com/axed-french-sub-deal-to-cost-australia-up-to-5-5-billion/

https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20220611-australia-announces-compensation-deal-with-france-over-scrapped-submarine-contract

Strange with your own man Airbus quoted 2.4b USD
That was the amount already spent on the program before it was aborted. Compensation was paid to the French firm involved
 as well IIRC plus $ for Australian defence workers to wind down the project. I was quoting AUD too not USD. Even if it was 'only' $US 2.4b ($A 3.5b) wasted by Dutton & co. on non-existent subs, that's still nearly 9 times the cost of the referendum and doesn't alter the point I was making.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-18/australians-still-working-on-scrapped-french-submarines/100840910

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6505 on: December 24, 2023, 07:25:26 PM »
The Labor party didn't pay anything. It was the government and it was a settlement. If the LNP were still in government then they would've done the exact same thing to avoid being sued for a higher amount plus court costs.

BS they would have

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6506 on: December 24, 2023, 07:46:44 PM »
One thing I know is that today is the first time I’ve felt insulted in this thread.

Sure , my intelligence has been insulted many times, but I am really annoyed by one part of what’s been said today.

MT, don’t tell me I’m ungrateful of the efforts of the ANZACS because I think the voice referendum was a waste of money. Linking “Lest We Forget” and “the ultimate sacrifice” to your argument is pathetic. Frankly, I think you are being disrespectful doing so.

Really stuffing peeed off. Considering I have been to 13 of the last 14 dawn services (including hosting one overseas), I don’t need someone telling me what I do and don’t respect with regards to our service men and woman, because I fall on a side of an argument you disagree with.

stuff Albo and stuff the voice referendum.

And to our fallen soldiers , “we will remember them” and I for one am thankful for the sacrifices you have made.

Side note, wonder what the diggers would have thought of how Dan Andrews locked us up for month upon month upon month. Democratic rights my arse. The nanny state Australia and specifically Victoria has become would make every single one of them roll over in their graves.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6507 on: December 24, 2023, 07:59:21 PM »
One thing I know is that today is the first time I’ve felt insulted in this thread.

Sure , my intelligence has been insulted many times, but I am really annoyed by one part of what’s been said today.

MT, don’t tell me I’m ungrateful of the efforts of the ANZACS because I think the voice referendum was a waste of money. Linking “Lest We Forget” and “the ultimate sacrifice” to your argument is pathetic. Frankly, I think you are being disrespectful doing so.

Really stuffing peeed off. Considering I have been to 13 of the last 14 dawn services (including hosting one overseas), I don’t need someone telling me what I do and don’t respect with regards to our service men and woman, because I fall on a side of an argument you disagree with.

And to our fallen soldiers , “we will remember them” and I for one am thankful for the sacrifices you have made.

Side note, wonder what the diggers would have thought of how Dan Andrews locked us up for month upon month upon month. Democratic rights my arse. The nanny state Australia and specifically Victoria has become would make every single one of them roll over in their graves.

Yeh I usually rate MTs posts but that one was utter garbage

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6508 on: December 26, 2023, 09:38:46 AM »

wouldnt bother with him/her damo.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6509 on: December 27, 2023, 01:46:01 AM »

Sorry, you do get the democratic right to say whatever you hate about Albo (as long as it's not legally defamatory) and you can say and argue the Voice idea was stupid or whatever and vote against it. But you don't get the right to tell the rest of us that we shouldn't have been allowed to vote on whether to alter our Constitution or not simply because you opposed the proposal and you hate Albo/Labor. FFS, by law a referendum must be held for such alterations. By the way, I most likely would have agreed with you if it had been just a plebiscite with no legal bearing or the polls had always showed public opposition to the Voice, but for 5 years the polls had shown a majority supporting it until the last few months leading up to the referendum date. It had been an unresolved issue for six years, plus the referendum was an election promise. I can just imagine what the LNP/Murdoch crowd would've screamed if Albo pulled the referendum at the last minute: "Bla bla bla Lay-bah broke its election promise", "Bla bla bla Albo goes back on his word", "Bla bla bla Lay-bah scared to face the people", etc  ::). As for crying about the referendum cost after 9 years of the LNP rorting and peeing billions up the wall leaving nothing to show for it ... oh please!  :nopity

What gave me the s***s was some of us here give up our time to work for the AEC/VEC at election time. Organising and delivering elections doesn't just happen you know. Forget about me, but it's an insult to others I know from various backgrounds who take leave from their real jobs and life so that democracy, that was hard fought and won in war and peacetime, can be delivered. Some of these people are pulling up to 15 hour shifts on election day so that everyone gets their vote and say. Think of them at least. Better yet register your name and see for yourself how it all works. It certainly gives everyone who does it a greater appreciation of the electoral process and how rigorous and fair our elections are no matter what the result. 

As for your side note - classic NewsCorp speak which ignores Australian history. Directly following WW1, the Spanish Flu caused 40% of the then 5m population to get sick and which killed an estimated 12-15,000 Aussies despite a swift quarantine response. The returning diggers didn't complain about the quarantine requirements. Sadly over 1200 diggers died from it. Imagine surviving the hell-holes of Gallipoli, Flanders and/or the Middle East, only to die from influenza  :(.

One particular respiratory infection that probably presented the most serious threat to the Australian forces came very late in the war in the shape of the Spanish flu pandemic. Among the AIF in France there were nearly 22,000 cases from the middle of 1918, and ultimately 1,238 died.
https://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/article2

That overall Oz deathrate by the way would be equivalent to between 62,400 to 78,000 dying these days from our current 26m population. While the lockdowns sucked and there were govt stuff ups, the Covid response saved tens of thousands of people's lives. Pretty safe to say the diggers wouldn't be rolling in their graves because we saved lives :facepalm.

https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/influenza-pandemic#:~:text=Despite%20a%20swift%20quarantine%20response,the%20virus%20spread%20through%20Australia.

The first vaccine mandate was in Victoria on Nov 20, 1854, in response to a Smallpox outbreak in Ballarat. If you recognise the location and date, it was just two weeks before the Eureka Stockade. Funnily enough the miners revolted against the mining licences and NOT the vaccine mandate. I'd guess in an era where people often died from what are nowdays controlled diseases via vaccines, vaccine mandates were a godsend. Anti-vaxxers (not you) these days who grow up in a vaccinated society take it all for granted.

https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/provenance-journal/provenance-2018/smallpox-ballarat

https://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/hist_act/aatmctpov456.pdf