Author Topic: Richmond $6 million bid to buy an AFL flag (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond $6 million bid to buy an AFL flag (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »

You guys probably want to travel a bit more. You'd be surprised at what you'd find.

Maybe some of us have formed our opinions because we have travelled.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
You guys probably want to travel a bit more. You'd be surprised at what you'd find.

Absolutely agree, the more I travel overseas the more I realise how good we have it here.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:04 PM »

As they say, charity begins at home, and home is where the heart is.

My heart is with the Richmond football club, so everything else can get stuffed.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 07:44:44 PM »
i see you lost some weight?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »

Have travelled  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
If Melbourne can cut it's massive debt then surely we can also.
How long did it take Melbourne, 3 years or so?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
Absolutely agree, the more I travel overseas the more I realise how good we have it here.

Yep. I have travelled extensively and lived abroad.
Life's not getting any cheaper here but relatively it's still the best country in the world by a street.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
6 mill over 12 mths good luck
its about keeping the momentum
going throughout that whole period
now if they players held up
their end and surprised for most of
the year who knows.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:41:33 PM by 3rogerd »

Offline Fruity Morgan

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 07:20:25 PM »
This is a footy thread so it is very disappointing to see some posters airing their offensive personal and political views and comparing donations to a football club to donations to people who have lost everything in a natural and national disaster.

Two separate issues.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
This is a footy thread so it is very disappointing to see some posters airing their offensive personal and political views and comparing donations to a football club to donations to people who have lost everything in a natural and national disaster.

Two separate issues.

What was offensive in that (very brief) discussion?  Was it offensive because you didn't agree with what some were saying?  And no-one compared donations - the discussion was actually about forced levies - a completely different beast.  But as you said, let's get back to the footy ....... as all the contributors had already done.

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »

Two separate issues.

What was offensive in that (very brief) discussion?  Was it offensive because you didn't agree with what some were saying?  And no-one compared donations - the discussion was actually about forced levies - a completely different beast.  But as you said, let's get back to the footy ....... as all the contributors had already done.

Smokey, I didn't find it offensive.

I was, however, a little surprised you didn't promise to stop the boats as well.

:lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »
 :lol :thumbsup

10 FLAGS

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
I have to say I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED by some our disloyal supporters who are running around forums sticking the knife into the club about the fighting fund. If you effen dont want to contribute then dont but to go around slamming the club comparing it to effen all sorts of Irrelevant organisations is a effen disgrace. If you any of you clowns who are slamming the club read this - eff OFF and support someone else. effEN disgraceful IMHO.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

;)

I'm not heartless WP.  I just have a big political reluctance to a Labor government introducing a new tax under the proviso "one off".  Its not in their DNA and the levy should never have been needed after the wasteful indulgence over-reacting to the GFC by spending all our 'rainy day' surplus.  In all my 50+ years there has never been a Labor government in this country that has not emptied the public coffers and those who think this will be a one-off levy need to re-read the history books.

</ end political rant>

Fair enough smokey and I actually understand your point. But my view is (and it doesn't matter what ones political leanings are) all govt have introduced new taxes. Even the current opposition was going to introduce a "levy" to fund their paid parental scheme. Under the previous govt a whole new tax was introduced (GST) and other taxes raised consistently (tobacco, alcohol etc) so I dont' ujnderstand all the fuss about this one. WOuld people have preferred that they just hide it somewhere under another guise of increasing say the petrol excise that we currently have?

**side bar: I must confess I am not sure why it was OK for Coalition them to call their proposed "levy" for the PPS a levy and not a tax but this Flood levy can only be called a tax and not a levy

As I said on the other thread on the General discussion board - I am disappointed that this country appears at times to be turning into a nation of sooks and whingers when we have the privilege of living in the best country in the world. There are parts of this country that needs re-building, lets put the poilitics aside and just get on with it

We were built on an ethos of wanting helping one another. But over the last 15 years we seem to becoming more Americanised with a focus on the ideal of "it's all about me and what's in it for me" not the ideal of helping our mates our fellow country men & women. Idealistic? Yeah probably but hey that's me  ;D

Thus endeth my rant  ;) :thumbsup ;D

i applaud you thats a fantastic comment and it was only a few hours ago that i wrote an email mentioning those very words.

We are very lucky and should be priveledged, yet we moan and whinge and yell at people who get in front of us by 1 car space on the roads.

I will be donating $100 to the cause and as for the levy, well this this is a footy thread so get stuffed.

People like us will donate and buy memberships its the bandwagon ones we need to jump on board.

my wife has been working at Virgin Blue for the better part of 8 years, i think its fair to say im well travelled, and i will say again we live in one of the best countries in the world. I challenge anyone who has a different view.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »
I have to say I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED by some our disloyal supporters who are running around forums sticking the knife into the club about the fighting fund. If you effen dont want to contribute then dont but to go around slamming the club comparing it to effen all sorts of Irrelevant organisations is a effen disgrace. If you any of you clowns who are slamming the club read this - eff OFF and support someone else. effEN disgraceful IMHO.

well said this should be supported by all.

i think its a great initiative by the club, IIRC was suggested a few months back by MT or Ramps.

A win in Round 1 would give a massive boost to this fundraising effort you can count on that.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.