Author Topic: Positives from tonight's two games?  (Read 7129 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: Positives from tonight's two games?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
For 20 minutes our 2nds did a job on Carlton and for the first 18 minutes our 2nds were only 1 goal behind the reigning premiers. People are just going over the top about yesterday.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »
Makes me laugh all the 'what did you expect the result to be' brigade on here.

If it was so 'expected', why didn't you all put our 'imminent loss' on record before the game, or even put a lazy 50 on the result?

I also think the majority of posters here who are critical of last night aren't so peeed off at the result, moreso the players who have had a few years in the system and played extremely poorly.

Nothing wrong with that.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
[quote author=RollsRoyce link=topic=12492.msg221250#msg221250
Putting in a skeleton squad doesn't spare the experienced players from the risk of injury, as they will most likely end up having to fly halfway across the country to Alice Springs or somewhere to play in a turkish bath-house next week.
[/quote] the same Alice ground that's regarded to be a terrific surface?  We don't play in cow paddocks anymore.
EAT EM ALIVE!

10 FLAGS

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
Makes me laugh all the 'what did you expect the result to be' brigade on here.

If it was so 'expected', why didn't you all put our 'imminent loss' on record before the game, or even put a lazy 50 on the result?

I also think the majority of posters here who are critical of last night aren't so peeed off at the result, moreso the players who have had a few years in the system and played extremely poorly.

Nothing wrong with that.

Did you see our squad before the match? We all knew we had no chance. Infact there are quite afew posts on these boards where our chance to be even competitive was questioned (infact I was one of those posters). There was no point in putting any money on Carlton or Collingwood because they were real short with the bookmakers - whats the point of putting $50 to get back $55 or $60. For that return no one is gonna be bothered even going to the TAB. As for players playing poorly we still have a poor list. Our list needs a lot of development. Yesterday wasnt as bad as people are making out. We found 2 or 3 players and we were competitive for a half in each game.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
For fat 18 yr old first year mid size forward , dean mcdonald does not look slow
I don't think his speed was ever questioned, just his stamina
Did you see him after that run from behind tackle? He was exhausted and almost blowing steam he was puffing so hard. He then shanked the kick which is pretty common for someone who can barely get his breath.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
1. Nahas, White and Edwards. We have our delistings sorted out early.
2. ..........
You have no idea.

Welcome to OER Gerks whoops Red

:help

More like Kelvin Moore dude :shh

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
Smokey, if nothing else, staying alive in the Nab Cup puts our brand on television. Even if we can't knock off Carlton and Collingwood as you say, what is wrong with at least fielding a team that can compete with them.
Give the fans some hope. Give the fans some incentive to plonk down their hard-earned at the turnstile for what used to be (and still should be) a game that's covered by our membership costs.
As for the suburban/rural grounds. I'm not saying the ovals themselves are necessarily MORE condusive to injury (though they could be in some cases.) (And Dubstep Dookie, the Alice Springs reference was to the debilitating effects of the climate and travel, not the ground itself. )
Smokey,my point is: if the reason we always approach the NAB Cup with an inexperienced squad is to minimize the risk of injury to senior players, then it's counter-productive and a waste of time. Beacause at some point you have to roll the players out anyway to get them match-conditioned for the season proper.
So why not just field your best team in the Nab Cup anyway? I'm sure the fans, like me, want to see the boys have a real dip at scum like Coll and Carl, and not get blown away and be the laughing stock YET AGAIN.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 02:25:54 PM »
I thought our tackling looked to have improved and that's gotta be a positive

Was very impressed with Derikx - struggled eealry but once he got into it was impressive espcially his contested marking.

It was funny, whe we went out against the blues I thought gee our kids have put on size, then when were out against the pies I thought struth :gobdrop size...er... no we haven't  ;D

Most disappointng player for mine was Ty Vickery...

I understand both sides of argument about the squad that we put out on the paddock (was it right or wrong) but from a purley marketing perspective and considering we've yet to finalise a front of the jumper sponsor I don't think going in with a "baby cub" squad (and that's what we had a team of babies) was the right way to go. Losing last night and not going through means no TV coverage or much media exposure for the next 3-4 weeks and strangely that's something that is important to sponsors  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »
The positive from our two games last night is that we still have Deledio,Cotchin,Martin,Jumpin Jack,Foley,Newman and Jackson to come into the side.That's alot of talent to have up your sleeve for rd 1.Grigg and Houli will probably walk straight into our best 22 as well.Dont forget Griffiths and even Angus.

Thats half of our first choice team that did not play last night.

Conca looks like a real gem....got excited after his first touch.

Harwick said we had 16 first or second year players on the park against Collingwood.

Unleash the tornado

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
Forgot to add I was super impressed with Pat Contin - looks alot fitter and bigger this season

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »
(And Dubstep Dookie, the Alice Springs reference was to the debilitating effects of the climate and travel, not the ground itself. )

Huh? I think you've got the wrong man RR  ;)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
Smokey, if nothing else, staying alive in the Nab Cup puts our brand on television. Even if we can't knock off Carlton and Collingwood as you say, what is wrong with at least fielding a team that can compete with them.
Give the fans some hope. Give the fans some incentive to plonk down their hard-earned at the turnstile for what used to be (and still should be) a game that's covered by our membership costs.
As for the suburban/rural grounds. I'm not saying the ovals themselves are necessarily MORE condusive to injury (though they could be in some cases.) (And Dubstep Dookie, the Alice Springs reference was to the debilitating effects of the climate and travel, not the ground itself. )
Smokey,my point is: if the reason we always approach the NAB Cup with an inexperienced squad is to minimize the risk of injury to senior players, then it's counter-productive and a waste of time. Beacause at some point you have to roll the players out anyway to get them match-conditioned for the season proper.
So why not just field your best team in the Nab Cup anyway? I'm sure the fans, like me, want to see the boys have a real dip at scum like Coll and Carl, and not get blown away and be the laughing stock YET AGAIN.

The thing is rolls, do you want to compromise the football departments agenda by pandering to other "needs".

Hardwicks after match conference was interesting. A good insight into what he is thinking when he makes this decision.
"We came in with the philosophy in this campaign that we just wanted to find out if a few players would put up their hand.

"We wanted to throw our kids in the deep end at the start and give them an idea of what the game is all about and how they've got to train to get to that intensity and I think we found that out.

"There's no greater challenge. Our last centre bounce was Helbig, Contin and Conca versus Thomas, Blair and Pendlebury.

"If you want to learn how to play footy, you learn to play against the best and although the scoreboard said otherwise, I think our players would have learned a hell of a lot out of tonight, which is great."

and in terms of overall player management;

We're asking our guys in essence to play a fifth of the season before we actually start our season, so it is a very long time. They'll sharpen up.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=12495.msg221223#msg221223

All his decision making is football based. I like that  :thumbsup

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »

Good points RR, I'm enjoying the discussion.  I would say this - I don't think our brand being on television in the NAB Cup in 2011 will make any difference to any potential new sponsors or members.  Right now we are what we are and I would bet my bottom dollar that what is being sold to the sponsors who have just signed up as well as any 'prospects' is that the 'pay off' will come when the plan enters it's 3rd+ years - that's when we become more competitive, that's when we get more media coverage, that's when the value in sponsoring Richmond will be evident and tangible.  Same with memberships.  We are not going to increase our membership base by any significant amount just because we win a game or two early in the NAB Cup 2011.  Most footy punters that are likely to ante up for a membership are astute enough to know we where sit in reality and what the NAB Cup really stands for in the big picture.  If the plan is solid this season and we show genuine improvement/potential by the end of 2011 then we can have a more serious tilt next year and that, combined with this season of building hope, is when we should expect to reap the rewards of a significant increase in support.  Putting our Fighting Tiger Fund out there this year while we are still spruiking rebuild/time/patience/hope is the perfect time to start it because that is a cause that can strike a chord with our supporters - last year no-one held out much hope and next year everyone will have much higher expectations.  The right time to strike with this iron (FTF) is right now and so it is with using the NAB Cup for grooming our kids.  Loading up on our good players and having a crack when we are nowhere near the mark is just setting ourselves up for a fall and going against the method of managing each player's development individually for the best long term benefit.  If we had a serious crack with a good side last night and still come up short then the potential damage on so many fronts was enormous.  Good strong management as I see it and it strengthens my belief and trust in those in charge.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
For 20 minutes our 2nds did a job on Carlton and for the first 18 minutes our 2nds were only 1 goal behind the reigning premiers. People are just going over the top about yesterday.

thats it 10fl, for best part of Q1 our 10 debuatants where going head to head with Collingwood the contest was always going to be onesided given the stacked side the silly looking maggots played....but for a fair period we punched well above our weight
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

thats it 10fl, for best part of Q1 our 10 debuatants where going head to head with Collingwood the contest was always going to be onesided given the stacked side the silly looking maggots played....but for a fair period we punched well above our weight

Agree with that... I thought considering the side we had out there we did OK. The kids weren't intimidated, there's alot to work with. Obviously some need more work and time than others.

Have just watched the tape and there were some really good signs

:gotigers