Author Topic: Richmond one of the best placed to offer Fev a lifeline in 2012: Crawford (H-S)  (Read 6894 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins gamble proves some punts do pay
Shane Crawford
Herald Sun
February 28, 2011

EVERY AFL club is insisting that Brendan Fevola is not on their 2012 shopping list.

But that could change next year if Fev does all the right things in the VFL this year.

He can still be a very damaging player, given he has just turned 30, and if he gets his mind and body right, I still believe he could kick somewhere between 60 and 80 goals in 2012 and 2013.

Some clubs would kill to have a player capable of that.

But it all comes back to how Fev conducts himself in the next next six months, and whether he can make it hard for clubs not to take a punt on him. Imagine if he were to kick 100 goals in the VFL this year. For some clubs, it would be hard to say no.

He will come cheap on an incentive-based contract of somewhere between $150,000 and $250,000. He would also come with a very late draft selection, a throwaway pick, if you like.

Granted, he would come with considerable baggage. That's why you could expect to have a behaviour clause in any contract that comes his way in the future.

Richmond took a punt on Ben Cousins when no one else would touch him. No one ever thought Cousins would ever get another chance after his drug issues emerged and caused him to be deregistered by the AFL for a year.

So there's still a chance for Fev, regardless of what clubs are saying publicly.

Would the AFL let Fev play again?

I can't see why not, given they let Cousins play the game again, bringing a much better closure to his career. Given his desire to live in Melbourne, I would automatically rule out any non-Victorian club.

There are three clubs best placed to offer Fevola a lifeline in 2012.

RICHMOND

The Tigers proved with Cousins that they can take in a troubled soul and work on making him better. Fev is also very close friends with captain Chris Newman, so that might play a role in it.

Damien Hardwick is a very tough coach and that's what Fev would need to keep him fit and focused. Fev might also take the strain off Jack Riewoldt a bit in 2012 if he got the chance. They are a developing, young side, but they proved with Cuz that they can take a punt and it can pay dividends.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Fev could be a replacement for Barry Hall if Hall retires at the end of the season. He will only be 31 next season, so that would allow him the chance to have two or maybe three years in the system. Rodney Eade normally has a great relationship with his players, so that would help, too.

Countering that would be the Dogs' collective memory of Jason Akermanis' departure. The Dogs don't want distractions, so Fev would need to demonstrate there would not be any if he was to have another chance.

ST KILDA

Ross Lyon has shown a willingness to take a punt on recycled players. The decision to pick Andrew Lovett in late 2009 proved to be disastrous and may influence any decision to chase Fevola. Also the club has had a number of off-field troubles that might also preclude it.

But if Fev shows himself to be a reformed character, and if the premiership window is still there for the Saints, they might just be tempted to take a punt.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cousins-gamble-proves-some-punts-do-pay/story-e6frf9jf-1226012630187

Dubstep Dookie

No thanks.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
40 ft pole applies. Don't want Fevola anywhere near Richmond.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
We need to develop Post, Griffiths, Taylor and Vickery up forward. How we meant to do that with Fev in the way?  8)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
I can't see us picking him up or st kilda for that matter.
As if saints are gonna risk anymore off-season troubles by picking up a player with a record of trouble.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Dimma has already said that we won't take short cuts
Fev is the perfect example of a short cut and a bad one at that
We need to put as much game time into Jack, Vickery, Griffiths, Post & Taylor, putting Fev in before them will just stifle their development

TigerTimeII

i say stop being sissies

he will come cheap, and will cost us sweet ef A

newman will keep fev inline and he will sit at Full fwd and kick a back , this will free up jack to play a richo role as a floating fwd and grifith will play chf

reminds me when we had a three pronged attack that worked
edwards/jurica at ff, gale at chf and richo the floating fwd

fev has done nothing wrong except show signs of immaturity , we can profit out of this

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
NO WAY.

Saints rofl ...Would slide straight in unnoticed down there

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
No! Cuz had a work ethic whilst still having problems, Fev does not have the work ethic. Cuz is/was a good teacher and on field role model, Fev is not! Cuz is a brownlow medalist and premiership player, Fev is not!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Um......let me think.....NO, NO & NO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
An aging fat, dumb, stuffed groin, distraction we don't need.
If that twit or his baggage comes near our club I seriously won't renew my membership next year.
Fortunately I don't believe he will.

Ox

Let's look at this logically.

NO!

Now,let's look at it illogically...

After a season in the vfl with a professional code of conduct and a view to finally prove himself a winner as opposed to the current perception of loser and wasted talentx10,a club should definitely look at the possibility of acquiring his services at
stuff all $.

Having said that,it wont happen as he'll stuff it up at the vfl.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
An aging fat, dumb, stuffed groin, distraction we don't need.
If that twit or his baggage comes near our club I seriously won't renew my membership next year.
Fortunately I don't believe he will.

:lol That would be having a sook.

Think Ak is trying to get him to Glenorchy.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
I think Fev should go to the Hawks. It would be great if he could cause some of his usual contraversial antics that don't really harm anyone but himself. It would then highly embarras the club they'll sack him and look stupid.  Then Fev can expose all the gay players there and the circus would begin.     
The club that keeps giving.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
I think Shane might have forgotten that Wallace and Miller aren't at the club any more.

Won't happen while Hardwick is in charge.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do