Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93678 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #630 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
From a Medical point of view, it looked a lot worse than a month.  I would be surprised if he came back earlier than 6. I would even say longer but it's hard from the couch to be definitive. The vision of his calf on TV looked like a high grade calf tear though.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #631 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
Richmond veteran Chris Newman is set to miss up to six weeks due to a calf strain.

Former captain Newman suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of his AFL side's five-point defeat to Geelong.

Scans on Monday confirmed the 31-year-old had a medial calf strain, but the club is optimistic he will only be out for four to six weeks.

"This is the first soft-tissue injury Chris has had in his 12-year career," Richmond's elite performance manager Peter Burge said on Richmond's website.

"He's a good healer and is optimistic the injury won't keep him out of action for too long."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8840128

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #632 on: May 05, 2014, 08:14:22 PM »
Richmond veteran Chris Newman is set to miss up to six weeks due to a calf strain.

Former captain Newman suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of his AFL side's five-point defeat to Geelong.

Scans on Monday confirmed the 31-year-old had a medial calf strain, but the club is optimistic he will only be out for four to six weeks.

"This is the first soft-tissue injury Chris has had in his 12-year career," Richmond's elite performance manager Peter Burge said on Richmond's website.

"He's a blue healer and we are optimistic we can put him down."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8840128
EFA
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #633 on: May 06, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Missed his chance at the end of last year to retire gracefully

dwaino

« Reply #634 on: May 06, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
Time to give him his favourite meal and take him out the back.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #635 on: May 06, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
Calf injuries for the old.

Thanks for the memories Chris, another honorable captain during an awful time in our history. Played some very good games.

Play the kids
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #636 on: May 06, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »
Played some very good games.

Even if spaced apart

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #637 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
Really admire Chris Newman, but seriously lets move on. Whats the point in coming back for 8 or so weeks at the end of the seasopn just to retire. Get some games into the future generation and sorry to say chuck Jakey King in there also.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #638 on: May 06, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »
Calf injuries for the old.

Thanks for the memories Chris, another honorable captain during an awful time in our history. Played some very good games.

Play the kids

Exactly this. Yes he isn't Luke Hodge, but the things he did off the field when the club was up poo creek can not be underestimated. Yes his body is cooked but he captained the club and was one of a handful of players which tried to keep the club together when everything in the club went to sheet. I hope he thinks about what's best for the club whilst he's sidelined and hopefully we can get Miles or at the very least Lennon in.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #639 on: May 06, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
Missed his chance at the end of last year to retire gracefully

Agree with this. I wasn't happy though when he played in the final either when clearly not fit.
Yes it would have been extraordinarily unlucky because he played such a long time without one but it was a very poor decision to play him by all involved.
Emotion overruled common sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #640 on: May 06, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »

Even if spaced apart

Like our ars cheeks when we played the hawks
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #641 on: May 06, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »

Even if spaced apart

Like our ars cheeks when we played the hawks

Were you hanging out with Coach

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #642 on: May 06, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
"but the club is optimistic he will only be out for four to six weeks."

That"s totally an oxymoron
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:55 PM »
Injured Tiger Newman hopes to play on in 2015
Matt Thompson 
afl.com.au
May 12, 2014

RICHMOND veteran Chris Newman says his recovery from a calf injury is "progressing well" and he's hopeful of returning to play within a month.

Newman suffered a medial strain to his right calf during the Tigers' five-point loss to Geelong in round seven.

He was initially expected to miss up to six weeks but Newman doesn't believe it will be that long.

"I don't think it'd be anywhere near six," Newman told AFL.com.au on Monday. 

"(I'm) looking to miss maybe three or four, just depending on how it heals up - hopefully it's a bit quicker.

"It's the type of injury that we won't rush, it's just a bit frustrating at the moment, not ideal but (I) just have to do what's required and hopefully get back OK.

"We'll probably a bit of light walking this week and then hopefully I'll be able to have a bit of a jog by the end of this week."

The former Richmond captain, 31, is out of contact at the end of the season but is keen to play on in 2015. He doesn't think the setback will hamper his prospects of another season.

"I know that this injury isn't ideal but certainly if I'm mentally and physically able to play on then I think I will," Newman said. 

"(It's) always dependent on whether I'm still required at the club and whether I'm holding anyone back."

Newman has played 240 games for the Tigers since making his debut in 2002.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-12/newman-eyes-2015

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
Taking the pee.