Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93620 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #750 on: September 25, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »
Personally think Grigg offers a lot more than Newman at this stage of their careers and that's not saying much.

the claw

« Reply #751 on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »
people knew when we got grigg that he was an upgrade with plenty of weknesses in his game and that in time he himself would have to be upgraded.
the question i ask. is  he in the bottom 6 to 8  worst players on the list proper.and is it indeed time to upgrade the upgrade. seems not. sort of says a lot about how our list has progressed.
i continually hear this sort of thing where we say, cant cut grggy hes not the worst by far. trouble is grigg is at his ceiling and we would be better off trying a younger bloke who has upside.

we just point blank refuse to make calls on these types.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #752 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
Grigg is 27 next season

I think this is as good as it gets with Shaun

peaked in 2012
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #753 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
just
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #754 on: September 26, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
in round 4
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:00:09 PM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #755 on: September 26, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »
people knew when we got grigg that he was an upgrade with plenty of weknesses in his game and that in time he himself would have to be upgraded.
the question i ask. is  he in the bottom 6 to 8  worst players on the list proper.and is it indeed time to upgrade the upgrade. seems not. sort of says a lot about how our list has progressed.
i continually hear this sort of thing where we say, cant cut grggy hes not the worst by far. trouble is grigg is at his ceiling and we would be better off trying a younger bloke who has upside.

putting aside how coontract status can affect delisting, the notion of delisting the weakest links is sound.

if you get rid of the middle tier players, while leaving the weaker player, you have made your list weaker.

the problem is not so much that they hang onto these type of players too long, but cant get the list to the point that they are weakest link.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #756 on: September 26, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »

putting aside how coontract status can affect delisting, the notion of delisting the weakest links is sound.

if you get rid of the middle tier players, while leaving the weaker player, you have made your list weaker.

the problem is not so much that they hang onto these type of players too long, but cant get the list to the point that they are weakest link.
sheesh i agree. whats going on here. thats a common sense approach. imo there are circumstances where you can and probably should cut into those middle tier players though.
i reckon a big part of the problem in why we keep these types so long is as you say they arent the weakest links but close to it but as middle tier players no one else wants em so we cant even trade em out.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Tiger Newman not ruling out one more season (AFL WEBSITE)
« Reply #757 on: July 07, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »
RICHMOND veteran Chris Newman is still uncertain whether he will play on into a 16th AFL season in 2016.

The 33-year-old missed six games with a groin strain earlier in the year, but has now strung consecutive games together against the Sydney Swans and Greater Western Sydney.

He also missed round four with a back issue, while he suffered an abnormal heart rhythm at training prior to the season.

Newman, who has played 258 games for the Tigers since making his debut in 2002, said he would wait to see how this season panned out before making a call on next year.

"I'm not sure yet. Obviously I'd like to play out the season. I'd have to be playing some pretty good football to go on again, but I'm not thinking about it too much," Newman said on Tuesday.

However, the defender said the groin issue that was bothering him earlier in the season has not caused him any concerns upon his return.

"I haven't felt any groin pain for a couple of weeks now. It was very niggly for the first part of the season and to play pain free is a real bonus," Newman said.

"I'll have to stay on top of that with strength work, especially at my age. I've got to try to keep my body fresh."

Meanwhile, Newman nominated Shaun Hampson as one of the options to replace suspended ruckman Ivan Maric.

"He's been playing some really good football in the VFL so he'll no doubt be putting his hand up," Newman said.

Newman and his Tiger teammates put star Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton through his paces during Tuesday's training run.

Newton, who is in Australia as part of a sponsorship deal with Gatorade, has spoken to the Tigers about leadership.

"He spoke to the leadership group about his experiences and it's been an eye-opener for us and something we've learned a lot out of," Newman said.

Chris Newman and Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton get acquainted. Picture: AFL Media

Newton said he had never watched a game of AFL before attending the Collingwood-Hawthorn game at the MCG on Friday night and then the Tigers' clash with Greater Western Sydney on Saturday.

"It's an extremely physical game," Newton said.

"In our sport, they're constantly putting things on you to protect you. In this sport, they're taking things away.

"All they're wearing is a tank top and a pair of boxers (boxer shorts) and going out there and giving it all they have which makes them courageous."

Newton said he was impressed with the Tigers' professionalism.

"Their effort was epic," he said. "After watching film with the coaches, Chris stood out on one particular play where he dived for the ball and then ran anywhere up to 20 yards to tackle a defender to set up a goal."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-07/tiger-newman-not-ruling-out-one-more-season

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
Re: Tiger Newman not ruling out one more season (AFL WEBSITE)
« Reply #758 on: July 07, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
 2 MORE YEARS!!!!!  :thumbsup :thumbsup :gotigers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #759 on: July 07, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
I would hope the club would ensure the ultimate decision is not Chris Newman's

He is no longer in our best 22, last week again proved that.

Clubs have to make tough calls on ageing players every year.

Time has come for the Tigers to make the tough call.

I hope they have the courage to do it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
Can we bring in Kane Cornes as Newman's mentor, maybe he can convince him to do the right thing. To be honest Cornes would be a far better proposition in our current side than the invisible Newman.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
Another year? You've got to be kidding.

What the actual eff??? :gobdrop
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
The fact he is intimating that it is his decision so publicly is an issue. Tail wagging dog and crapping in his owners face
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #763 on: July 07, 2015, 01:26:46 PM »
Meanwhile, Newman nominated Shaun Hampson as one of the options to replace suspended ruckman Ivan..................

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

33 year old hacks shouldn't be permitted to talk to the media regarding their future.
He's totally deluded if he thinks he has the right to play another season, let alone this one.

Please, put him out of his misery someone.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #764 on: July 07, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
You don't andashould wish it upon any one.  But an injury will do the job.  Not what I'm asking for but if it happens then I think time is up and we get what we ultimately wish for.