• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hardwick booked
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 03:52:04 PM »
Hardwick booked
12:28:29 PM Tue 25 May, 2004
Sportal

Port Adelaide defender Damien Hardwick will face the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night after just one week back in the side after being booked on a video charge.

Hardwick will front the tribunal on Tuesday night on a misconduct charge laid by AFL Investigations Officer Rick Lewis in that he made unnecessary and unreasonable contact with the Richmond runner Matt Horsnby during the clash with the Tigers on Friday night.

The former Essendon player had an interrupted pre-season because of knee surgery and his return to the senior side was delayed further by an ankle injury early in the season.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=151071
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Game
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 07:35:17 AM »
8:09:22 PM Tue 25 May, 2004

Port Adelaide defender Damien Hardwick was fined $1500 by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday for making contact with a Richmond runner.

But team mate Peter Burgoyne, who pleaded guilty to a charge of kneeing Chris Hyde, will miss games against Geelong and the Brisbane Lions after copping a two-match ban.

Hardwick pleaded not guilty to the charge, laid by the league’s investigation’s officer Rick Lewis, with his advocate citing a ‘verbal barrage’ from the runner as provocation.

Video footage of the final-quarter incident showed Hardwick pushing the Tigers runner in the back with his left shoulder as he made his way from the centre square.

“The situation wouldn’t have happened if he didn’t open his mouth. When he opened his mouth and abused me, he became part of the game,” Hardwick said while giving evidence.

“If a player said that to me, I’m going to remonstrate, if a man on the street said that to me, I’d remonstrate, if the Prime Minister of Australia said that to me I’d remonstrate.”

“It doesn’t give the runner the right to verbalise me just because he’s wearing a green uniform.”

He also said he felt the contact was minimal and was surprised it had received so much attention.

Tribunal chairman Brian Collis, QC, found Hardwick did make unnecessary and unreasonable contact with the runner, but described it as contact without any real force.

“Whatever be the situation of who said what to whom, we accept Damien Hardwick’s belief that something unacceptable was said,” Collis said.

“(But) players are there to play football and runners are there to deliver messages.”

In the Burgoyne case, Collis described Burgoyne’s actions, a short, sharp knee to Hyde’s right leg as the pair jostled before a centre bounce, as completely unnecessary.

“I know what I did was wrong,” Burgoyne said while explaining to the Tribunal he was trying to stop Hyde from making contact with his left side, which was heavily padded due to a significant contusion of the buttock sustained against the Kangaroos two weeks ago.

Power coach Mark Williams was also called, telling the Tribunal he was helping Burgoyne come to terms with the close-checking opponents he now attracts due to an increased role in the midfield.

But he also conceded that in this instance, Burgoyne didn’t handle the situation in the perfect manner and reacted poorly.

I don't care if Matt Hornsby did say something to Hardwick, the fact is that Hardwick deliberately went out of his way to make contact with the Richmond runner who had his back to him and moved away from the area of conflict.  Let's face it, Port was winning - there was no need to continue the argument or make the point.  Derek Humphrey-whatever said on White Line Fever that Hardwick was lucky not to get a week.  Hardwick should have been dragged by his coach for this indiscretion.  It was nothing more than an act of thuggery.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 08:54:24 AM »

“The situation wouldn’t have happened if he didn’t open his mouth. When he opened his mouth and abused me, he became part of the game,” Hardwick said while giving evidence.

“If a player said that to me, I’m going to remonstrate, if a man on the street said that to me, I’d remonstrate, if the Prime Minister of Australia said that to me I’d remonstrate.”

Fool! If you did to the Prime Minister what you did to the runner - I think you'd end up with 1) face down on the ground with security pointing guns at you and 2) then in jail

“It doesn’t give the runner the right to verbalise me just because he’s wearing a green uniform.”

But you have the right to "verbalise" whoever you like on the field because you are an in an AFL player's uniform? Grow Up Sook
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 09:02:13 AM »
Hardwick is an imbecile.

I hate guys that think they are tuff.

How tuff are they when the cop a bullet in the head?

LMAOOOOO@using the PM as an example of people he wont take crap from.

LMAOOOOOO@Not being scared of Jon Howard - now thats tuff.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 10:52:29 AM »
LMAO@ the hypocritical AFL
If they are going to sanitize the game by removing clashes of players with one another,and giving weeks to players accidenly coming into contact with umpires,what message does it give the young audiences they forever bang on about seeing a player go out of his way to make aggressive contact with a match official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep dont accidently brush an umpire,but by all means physically threten runners young people >:(
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
What a joke
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 03:15:05 PM »
Tiger runner faces fine
12:57:34 PM Wed 26 May, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond runner Matt Hornsby is expected to be fined by the AFL over his role in the Damien Hardwick tribunal case.

Hardwick was fined $1500 by the tribunal on Tuesday night after being found guilty of making contact with the Richmond runner.
Hornsby, a runner with experience at three AFL clubs, was running away from a tangle between Hardwick and Richmond’s Andrew Kellaway when the Port defender ran at him and pushed him to the side as he was leaving the field.

Hardwick told the tribunal he had reacted to a taunt from Hornsby, whom he alleged called him “a d**khead.”

However the Richmond runner said he had directed his comments at his own player in telling him not to become involved in a scuffle with Hardwick.

The AFL is expected to announce the extent of Hornsby’s fine by Thursday morning, however the Richmond runner is expected to be able to perform his duties in Saturday’s clash against West Coast in Perth.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=151254

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: What a joke
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 06:02:52 PM »

Richmond runner Matt Hornsby is expected to be fined by the AFL over his role in the Damien Hardwick tribunal case.

Hardwick told the tribunal he had reacted to a taunt from Hornsby, whom he alleged called him “a d**khead.”

However the Richmond runner said he had directed his comments at his own player in telling him not to become involved in a scuffle with Hardwick.

You've got to be kidding! Getting fined for calling someone a name on a footy field. Poor little Damien  ::) .

LOL @ the way the article is written coming across as Matt Hornsby's defence will be he was calling one of our own players "a d**khead."

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 06:10:33 PM »
Honestly if i was the runner I wouldn't be bothered in trying to cover it up. You call a spade a spade so why not a D**khead a D**khead.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 06:14:03 PM by Rodgerramjet »
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 07:36:45 AM »
Oh did poor little Damian get his feelings hurt.   Even if Matt Hornsby did say something, it was probably the truth.  This is simply ridiculous!!! >:( >:( >:(

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 03:58:06 PM »
Tigers fined $5000 over runner
27 May, 2004
Sportal
The Richmond Football Club has been fined $5000 for runner Matt Hornsby's involvement with an on-field incident with Port Adelaide's Damien Hardwick during last Saturday night's match at AAMI Stadium.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said AFL Investigations Officer Rick Lewis found that the situation was inflamed by the runner's unnecessary verbal expressions.

Lewis determined that: "The runner speaks in degrading terms regarding Hardwick and appears to follow Hardwick as Hardwick retreats after being free-kicked".
A maximum sanction of $5000 has been imposed for a first offence and a suspension or a sanction of up to $10,000 may apply for any further breach.

"Runners have a responsibility to deliver messages in an appropriate manner, then get off the field straight away," Anderson said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=151531
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 04:15:15 PM »
So according to the AFL calling someone a name is a bigger offence than physically assulting someone. Absolute joke!  >:(.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 04:51:42 PM »
Well at least they are consistent with stupid decisions.

$5,000 - what an about absolute disgrace.

Adrian Anderson - is a bigger fool than Harwick. I think he should be fined for damaging the image of the game

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 05:07:16 PM »
I nearly fell of the chair when I read it myself MT and WP.  I can accept that he would get a fine, but $5,000. :-\
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2004, 07:40:08 AM »
Oh the AFL have topped themselves this time.  What sort of message does this send out - oh its ok to run up to someone who is running away from you and making physical contact but it is a mortal sin to call them names.  The AFL are a joke!  Why bother fining Hardwick at all then?

Not happy Jan!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(