Author Topic: Richmond turns to 5 new recruits for season-opener against Carlton (Australian)  (Read 4488 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond turns to new recruits for season-opener against Carlton

* Greg Denham
    * March 21, 2011

RICHMOND could introduce as many as five fresh faces into its line-up in the AFL season-opener against Carlton at the MCG on Thursday night.

After an ordinary pre-season campaign that included just one practice match win and an emotional Fighting Tiger fund-raiser last week that has already pledged more than $2.5 million of additional revenue for the club, Richmond is attempting to avoid its third round-one thrashing by the Blues in as many years.

Terry Wallace's senior coaching career was as good as over when his team, buoyed by Ben Cousins' return to the AFL, was humiliated by 83 points in front of more than 87,000 in the first game of 2009. And last year's start was not much better for new coach Damien Hardwick, when the Tigers went down to the Blues by 56 points, though there was little of the expectation from the previous year.

Attempting to arrest the recent Tigers early-season trend of blowout losses will be former Blues player Shaun Grigg, ex-Essendon midfielder Bachar Houli and the Tigers' first national draft selection from last year, Reece Conca.

Also looking to make their debut are Jake Batchelor and Brad Helbig.

With injuries to Kelvin Moore (hip) and Mitch Farmer (heel) and the suspension to Jake King, it appears that at least two, and possibly all, of the first three teenagers drafted by Richmond last year - Conca, at pick No 6 overall, Batchelor (30) and Helbig (47) - will make their senior debut on Thursday.

Conca is likely to start across half-back after an excellent pre-season, Batchelor is being considered as a running defender and Helbig could get a gig first up as a forward-midfielder.

Helbig, from West Adelaide, could be one of the Tigers' best bargains in recent years as they offered his national draft selection (47) to Essendon to secure Houli earlier, but the Bombers rejected the move and then later lost out on drafting Helbig.

Grigg and Houli were recruited from rival clubs to add more depth to a midfield that will also have a fit Nathan Foley available for the first time since early last season. Achilles and ankle problems have restricted Foley to just 18 out of a possible 44 games over the past two seasons.

Carlton, an odds-on favourite, cannot consider Ryan Houlihan (calf), Matthew Kreuzer (knee) and Setanta O'hAilpin (ankle), while Lachie Henderson is in doubt due to a restricted pre-season following hip surgery, but he has played two practice matches.

Carlton could play former defender Bret Thornton as a key forward after he was successfully trialled in an attacking role during the pre-season. Another positional move the Blues will swing this year is their use of Chris Yarran as a running defender after playing mainly as an opportunistic forward in his first two seasons at the elite level.

Without suspended full-back Michael Jamison, a new-look Blues back line will include ex-Geelong defender Jeremy Laidler for the first time and possibly mature-age South Australian recruit Nick Duigan.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/richmond-turns-to-new-recruits-for-season-opener-against-carlton/story-e6frg7mf-1226025050544

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
no mention of Miller ???
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

10 FLAGS

Derrickx is a little unlucky if he's not playing IMHO.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
no mention of Miller ???

Then why elevate him?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
elevating a rookie does not mean he is first 22, just that he is in the mix, along with 40 odd others.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Derrickx is a little unlucky if he's not playing IMHO.
I suspect there is something that has given him an interupted preseason
He only played in the 1st round of the NAB Cup, or maybe the game against Port as well but then missed the games against Hawthorn & Adelaide
Was then given permission to play for Coburg on the weekend, given its his first year on an AFL list I assume they are going to want to make sure he has a better preparation for his first game

tony_montana

Derickx had a bruised heel i think

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT

Yes, and the rumor is he struggled with it against the Bullants on Friday.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
we seem to get a few bruised heels?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
we seem to get a few bruised heels?

thats because we train on sub standard surfaces. Post did his ankle slipping on the turf at punt road.

Its actually a disgarceful situation for our players and reinforces the need for the FTF.

Certainly did struggle to make an impact as he ended up not playing.

Don't expect to see him on Thursday night.

:thumbsup

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame

Really?  I thought I saw a picture of him.

Good source.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT

He defiantly played........He may not have played the game out but he started...

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame