Author Topic: Benny Gale on SEN  (Read 4110 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Benny Gale on SEN
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
Benny Gale will be on Daniel Hartford's show sometime after midday.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Benny Gale on SEN
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
I missed the middle part as I had to answer  a phone call but here's what I caught of the interview. I'm guessing the bit I missed was about free agency and the need for the Fighting Tiger Fund.

-------------------------------------

* Playing 4 teams in the top half. In winning positions in two of them and disappointing we only got 2 points against St Kilda but two points nevertheless. Hawthorn was disappointing but there were still positives - we moved the ball well through their zone, our pressure inside 50 was good. In the wet their bigger mature bodies really showed.

* Ball movement this year has been good but we want to see improvement in defence compared to last year. Didn't progress as much as we should've defensively in 2010. Personnel issues has hurt us but it gives Astbury and Grimes chances for further development.

* Conca - leadership, mature young man. We did a lot of homework watching him last year. Always had someone watching him. Shows composure with the ball and impressed by his willingness at the footy. Milney got hold of him early but he stuck at it. Runs the patterns well.

* We have a number of measurements to measure our improvement (most are not very sexy) but wins/losses are still important. We were in front with a couple of minutes to play against St Kilda and just a lack of composure allowed the Saints to get some easy forward entries.

* ME Bank Centre very important. Old facilities were very archaic for about 15 years. Now the cricket club has gone we can now get on with redeveloping the Punt Rd oval surface and widening the oval a.s.a.p. All the recovery, player facilities etc ..will help the players. Players now spend more time at the club. No more excuses now.

* Jack a really passionate individual and you can't harness that but there are a lot of kids watching so it's probably right for the AFL to fine him and for Jack to apologise. Still a lot to learn for Jack and we don't want him kicking 78 goals every year and relying on him.

* FTF - ambitious $6 million target. Just shy of 2.5. Raised 2.1m in 20 minutes on the gala. Other initiatives will be rolled out throughout the year. If we want to kee up with the big boys we need to grow - fund various areas of the footy dept. Great start but a long way to go.

* Most improtant thing is membership. So if you haven't renewed or not a member join up. If you have spare over then donate to the FTF. No one is forcing anyone as we aren't going under; it's about growing the resources of the club.

* Massive facility upgrades at all clubs now in Victoria so that's pretty even now. FTF implies free agency as you need to invest and go other players but still it comes down to people make the right decisions.

* Excited about Collingwood game as it's another test. They are the benchmark and this is an opportunity to test ourselves against the best.

* With gambling a hot topic at the minute any difficulties having a betting agency as a sponsor in the current climate? No. We have a good lucrative relationship with luxbet. At the end of the day people have to take responsiblity for their own actions.

* Tucky a chance. Like last year as the grounds got heavier and the game slowed he came in and had a major impact. So he'll be on the cusp.

* Batchelor - steely resolve, mature, played U18s while working, excellent left foot.

* Taylor - no further update. Club in constant contact. Left club indefinitely. Found AFL tough. We've taken measures to support him as have other people. We've had to compromise our standards at times which hasn't worked. He's got to go away and decide if he wants to put in the work to make it and take responsibility for where he is at.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:49:07 PM by one-eyed »

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
"We had to compromise our standards?"

WTF? not happy with that  >:(

not happy at all, little twit is a waste of space eff him off

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
"We had to compromise our standards?"

Sounds like he got namby, pambied the first time due to his raw ability when perhaps we shouldn't have.

Ultimately that wasted a lot of time and resources.

On the face of it seems selfish stuff from Troy. He's let not only himself but many others down.

Oh well we live and learn..

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
Just come out say we got it wrong and move on.

Nice selection Jackson, picked a winner there

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:52:14 PM by one-eyed »

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »

Ben Gale gave the go ahead for that selection. Hardwick also had significant input. Everyone acknowledged it was a risk. Gale told them to be bold and have a crack. It was pick 50 not pick 8. Hardly the end of the world, gotta break a few eggs.

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
How does she like her bacon?

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
Grind-less is always better. Trim and taut.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
Forget about Troy Taylor we took a chance and it failed, hardly something worth stigmatising a new resime with. Its not like we traded pick 19 for .................. :help

I am sure there is a player at all clubs who was taken above pick 40 or 50 that won't make it. Let it go.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:36 AM »

Ben Gale gave the go ahead for that selection. Hardwick also had significant input. Everyone acknowledged it was a risk. Gale told them to be bold and have a crack. It was pick 50 not pick 8. Hardly the end of the world, gotta break a few eggs.

Yes and it was a mistake by all parties concerned. Believe me Jackson is our guy who would've brought Taylor to the attention of all concerned.

You can get some gems around those later picks and we went for another Indigenous boy who has failed us.

We should just forget about those fellas until we know how to manage them. Clearly we have a problem in developing what else can explain that they all leave us.

Look at the dees for all their faults have Davey, Austin and Jurrah. Austin lost his dad and mate yet they still managed to talk him back.

We have no idea how to manage these guys no idea at all so better off not recruiting them at all.

We are not in a position to take risks which is why its disgraceful we re-rookeid Hislop when there are so many Curnow's and Lower's floating around.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
Name them!

The club obviously doesn't think so as they did not use all their rookie spots.

You do understand that no club ever gets 100% of their draft picks right?

Colongwoood would have taken Taylor if we didnt - they talked him out of signing with the suns, who obviously wanted him as well.

But no, Jackson is the only fool in the world of football that thought he was worth the risk ::)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:41 AM »
Name them!

The club obviously doesn't think so as they did not use all their rookie spots.

You do understand that no club ever gets 100% of their draft picks right?

Colongwoood would have taken Taylor if we didnt - they talked him out of signing with the suns, who obviously wanted him as well.

But no, Jackson is the only fool in the world of football that thought he was worth the risk ::)

Read my post i just named 2. Curnow and Lower from this years draft. There are many more where that come from. Why draft Indigenous boys if we cant develop them properly. What is the point you tell me?

After the Barlow and Pods example we should've been looking at the VFL grade a little more closely not focusing our attention on a bloke who wears coloured boots and thought his poo dont stink.

Il say this if Taylor went to the Pies you can almost guarantee he would be playing in the VFL and not wearing those pathetic coloured boots.

To quote James Hird re: Kyle Riemers "He can wear those boots all he likes but it wont be playing for the senior team"

Perfect response no player is bigger than the club.

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 09:28:18 AM »
Players like Tom Derrickx perhaps?  ::)

And Nick Lower?  :lol
If RFC had picked up a 23yr old player delisted by world beaters Port Adelaide you would have screamed bloody murder from the rooftops.
Rightly so, he's average and won't play a part in Freo's side when all their players are back from injury.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
Players like Tom Derrickx perhaps?  ::)

And Nick Lower?  :lol
If RFC had picked up a 23yr old player delisted by world beaters Port Adelaide you would have screamed bloody murder from the rooftops.
Rightly so, he's average and won't play a part in Freo's side when all their players are back from injury.

DerickX goes allright dont worry about that :thumbsup

Plenty more where that come from pal. Buckley, The Camerons from North, the list goes on

Theres talent everywhere yet we opted for these spuds. Hislop is even more of a joke.

Taylor failing has as much to do with us than him.