Author Topic: Trade week targets & rumours? [merged]  (Read 236772 times)

Re: Richmond targetting Hamish McIntosh
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »
No thanx from me as well. Target must be someone around 23-24 yo.

Yeah but who?

tony_montana

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to pass on trading for a ruckman at seasons end. Unless we pick up a Trent West type for free then we should absolutely not look at trading the picks that will be needed to secure a ruckman..

..and we better not use the Tambling compensation pick bc 2012 is touted already as the greatest draft batch ever seen. We're on track to have 2 picks inside top 20 and 3 inside 30. Use it wisely.

Offline J Buckthorn

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
Jon Griffen would be a good fit. Very good fit

tony_montana

« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
except for the fact he left adelaide to go home....

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #214 on: July 08, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »
I am looking forward the "speculation" that we are targeting Dean Cox and Darren Jolly  ::)

No, No, surely you mean Mathew Kreuser Mr Powell, good mates with Trent an all, wink wink
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

the claw

« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
I am looking forward the "speculation" that we are targeting Dean Cox and Darren Jolly  ::)

We should have targeted Jolly before he went to Sydney( Not Collingwood mind you, but Sydney).
But instead, our recruiting geniuses at the time thought that Troy Simmonds was a more viable long-term option :banghead

Simmonds was the right fit and good pick up at the time for what he cost us. And I'd argue outside his last 2 seasons was a good player for us. He was what 25yo when we got him, with Staff coming to the end of his career... was certianly not a trade mistake IMHO
i actually thought we got simmonds because we just traded ottens. yes stafford was near the end i thought him near the end in 01.we took a 25 yr old injury prone  tap ruckman in knobel as cover for stafford.
simmonds was a very solid citizen and injury killed him at the end.  for what we paid we got a good deal. think we drafted him as a 26 yr old so he was turning 27 first yr with us.knobel was 24 but was a  risk because of his body, worth taking a punt on when one considers we took him in the psd.

sheesh hamish mcintosh would take him in a heart beat but only in a player trade, to me our early picks are sacrosanct and we really need to learn the lessons of the past.what a massive upgrade he would be on what we have he would be. seems to me mcintosh is very unlikely to  be coming to richmond because what good players we do have we need to build on, in a player swap nm would want a high quality player and we have too few to be trading them away, we need to build on what we have not tread water.and of course we still need to heavily invest in the nd with as many early picks as we can.

anyone wonder why we have developed so few ruckmen over the yrs. well its simple we refuse to adequately invest in them with out looking it up but id say we would be lucky to have taken 10 ruckmen in the actual nd since its inception in 86. you cant develop them if you dont have em on your list to begin with. and if you only trade for oldies they dont last long or rookie them  and the rookies usually show why they were rookied in the first place and dont last long.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »
Now that would be sweet, on so many fronts.

No, No, surely you mean Mathew Kreuser Mr Powell, good mates with Trent an all, wink wink

[drifts off into dreamland]

now that would be sweet - on so many fronts.

[/back to reality]

i think i just got an insight to how those perpetually waiting for the second coming must feel.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
except for the fact he left adelaide to go home....

Make the SOB an offer he can't refuse.

2.8mill over 4 years, and a free pass to eureka tower VIP club

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
Nup. Nup. I won't have this. Get back on topic or frigg off.

That Lobbe dude from Port looks alright. Should track his progress for the rest of the season...although Brogan is retiring, so Port would be keen to keep him

Hellenic Tiger

why pass on trent west Tucker?
what can you tell us about him?

The kid turns 24 in October and has played about a dozen games in his time at Geelong.
Although I haven't seen the kid play he was been well down the pecking order at Geelong for a while behind
Ottens Blake and now with Mumford gone to Sydney Vardy has overtaken him also in the pecking order.
I'll be honest my assessment is based on the aforementioned details which worries me about the kids ability but if he comes for free in the pre season draft I'll take him b/c right now there would not be many running around worse than the two boys on our list but only if he costs nothing and he is the best player going round at the time.

What worries me is the club is prone to make silly decisions in the past and with our weakness in the ruck and the media all over this like a maggot on some cow dung I don't want to see us paying overs for a ruck that may not be the answer in the long run or deprive us of something in the draft merely to half address an issue that needs attention but may not have an answer right now. I want the best for the club and at the moment I don't think what's available may be the best fit for our team at this stage of my thinking.

Just my take champ. :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

Furthermore Al, in a team like Geelong who has an A+++ midfield a bloke like Blake who has been a regular fixture 2007-10 can be carried despite his I guess lack of presence around the ground.

If a bloke like West who got a few games in 2009 when Ottens was touch and go on whether he would come back prior to finals can't break into the side now that Blake is on the outer and Mumford has left the club it rings my alarm bells. Vardy who is in the side now can play forward as well just like Ottens.

Is the kid unlucky with injury? I don't know don't watch the VFL unless its Coburg just look at the scores.
Has the kid had a falling out with Bomber and now Scotty?
Is the kid there for insurance?
Is he just a lumbering ruckman who just is that with no other attributes?
Or is the kid just not good enough.

Unless he comes for free I'll pass. Too many questions and not enough answers for a kid who does fit the age requirement for recruitment to the club but possibly not the criteria of ability.

Helps to talk about it better when you are watching the Cats on the television also. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond after Jackson Trengove
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2011, 06:49:41 AM »
Power playing hard ball on Trengove
    AAP
    July 09, 2011

PORT Adelaide coach Matthew Primus has embarked on an aggressive campaign to stop emerging defender Jackson Trengove returning to Victoria.

Trengove, 20, out of contract at season's end, has several Victorian clubs pitching lucrative offers.

Richmond is believed to be the leading contender.

"He has just got a decision to make between playing for this club and getting back to his family," Primus said yesterday. "Hopefully we will be in his face about that and turn him around."

Port wanted Trengove's signature on a new deal long ago, but he has put off contract talks until near the end of the season.

Primus hinted Port could play hard ball with Trengove.

"All we can do is show Jackson what we're planning next year and the year after that and where he fits into all that," he said.

"We hope we can sign him sooner rather than later."

Port also fears Alipate Carlile could leave, with new entity Greater Western Sydney keen on luring the 24-year-old full-back.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/power-playing-hard-ball-on-trengove/story-e6frf9jf-1226091029237

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2011, 06:53:24 AM »
From the quotes in that article it doesn't sound like Primus is playing hard ball. Sounds to me he is being honest and he knows the returning home factor is going to be hard one to tackle to keep him.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
all good, cheers tucker.

The questions you raise are really the pertinent questions and hopefully hartley has got his fingers on the pulse in regard to the answers.

He could very well be a hidden gem who just needs a decent chance, something circumstances could be preventing him from getting at the moment, although as you say with vardy jumping ahead of him you do have to wonder.

Just on Vardy, in the last couple of weeks he hasnt done a real lot, but in the little i have seen he has shown glimpses of  a tool set that i havn't seen in gus or Browne.  :(
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
That is why I think we can offload a player to Port in a straight swap for swap with them to attain Trengove's services.

Although disappointed Primus won't stand in his way and the relationship between the clubs during the last few drafts has been good. Port would be happy with Schulz. That may work in our favour as well as the fact that Dimma is also a premiership player at the club.

I've heard Essendon are interested also. Fact that they historically are more difficult to trade with may also have us out in front. Nash also hasn't set the world on fire at Alberton. Furthermore Hird rejected an offer to join Chocco at Port which some insiders still at the club may have a long memory about.