Author Topic: 9th...NO WAY  (Read 18197 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 9th...NO WAY
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »
Remember if we are playing well then our players are more tradable and more likely to be able to upgrade picks with someone
I certainly think we need to continue focussing on drafting more kids, but not at the expense of winning

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 06:56:22 AM »
Finishing ninth would be a shocker to be honest and hurt us in the long run. We'd be lucky to get two picks in the top 50 with GWS hogging the draft and our first pick would be in the late teens. Our list is nowhere complete yet structurally (Jack is the only reliable KPP along our spine) to start pushing up the ladder (as much as watching us win is enjoyable right now). We really need another decent dip in the draft as we did last year to add more class to our list and fill holes/deficiencies we still have so in time when we do push into the top 8 we can match it with the top sides if not better them and push for top 4 if not top 2 in say 3 years time when our list matures. At the start of the year I was hoping for say a 14th finish (= about 8 wins) and another top 10 first pick; not ninth and pick 18  :P.

So you are advocating the "Tank"  ;D

I don't think we could now even if we wanted too  :thumbsup ;D :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 07:23:43 AM »
Come on MT, we have to start winning some time. Can't spend the next 30 years hogging the high draft picks. Apart from anything else I'll be dead before we see the Tigers in the finals again if we do.  :-[

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
That boat has well and truly sailed MT.

As Ramps posted sometime last year, it's full steam ahead now.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »
Yeah i was very pro tanking but that has changed. I believe our list is still not good enough to finish 9th but its not all that bad considering we picked up gems in Batch and Helbig with late picks.

Its time to start winning and building for our assault into the finals next year.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 09:35:29 AM »
I'm been a huge advocate for the tank over the years but right now its not an option IMHO. Francis Jackson needs 1 more draft like the last one- at the most two. Can he find another Conca? Can he find another Batchelor? Can Hartley get us another couple of el cheapo cost players like Grigg and Houli that can add to the depth? Can we get one of GWS's 17 year old picks to get the A grade player we need to add. Can we of trade out the likes of Morton and Conners who probably arent adding anything to our structure? Right now, we need Francis Jackson to have one more good draft and for us to keep winning. Deledio, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Newman, Martin et al need some finals experience IMHO.

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
That boat has well and truly sailed MT.

As Ramps posted sometime last year, it's full steam ahead now.

Time to start developing a winning mentality amongst the playing group.
Push up!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
Sorry but I just couldn't do 9th again after sitting through so many 9th's during the 90's. We were known as the best team OUTSIDE the 8 for many years...Really with the start we have had or the resurgence this season finishing 8th would be the reward. 9th would be let down IMO and I would rather finish lower to get the picks.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
how much lower WAT, to make the picks worth while?
last?
14th?
13th?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »
I was always a huge supporter of the tank when we were down the bottom of the ladder and our deficencies/depth problems were obvious. Now I believe we have enough depth to begin to start the gradual climb up the ladder. It is in our best interests to start to win now to highlight the players we have. With the new 16-year old GWS trade rule, we could get a top 5 player that fits our needs structurally if we have some player currency. If we continue to lose then the better teams will not only claim the chance for a flag but the best future player/s too!

Free Agency also will assist filling holes in the future. Claiming Trengrove may assist with our backline and ruck depth and in 2 or 3 years when we are a top 4 side we can really lure the big name established players to top up the list without worrying about sacraficing our future through trading away early picks as well. When free trading comes in it is the bigger more successful clubs that will benefit which means we need to start becoming successful.

The Tank is dead, long live the tank  :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
how much lower WAT, to make the picks worth while?
last?
14th?
13th?

Anyone of those 3 Al. The player we could get between 9th and 13th, 14th etc... could make a huge difference next year. Look we were lucky with Batch IMO, how many more of him will there be next year??

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
..so from where we are now, you would prefer to lose most games for the rest of the year rather than keep improving?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
..so from where we are now, you would prefer to lose most games for the rest of the year rather than keep improving?

No, but as I said in my first post we really should finish 8th the way we are travelling at the moment, or do we all think we have improved by finishing 9th as we did through the 90's only to realise that we still have many gaps to fill on field??

"Rucks:

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »
Lets win heaps of games and end up well and truly in the 8 and make this discussion moot.  :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
Lets win heaps of games and end up well and truly in the 8 and make this discussion moot.  :thumbsup

Dead right..and if not then as low as possible.. ;D

"Rucks: