Author Topic: 9th...NO WAY  (Read 18227 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 9th...NO WAY
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
..so from where we are now, you would prefer to lose most games for the rest of the year rather than keep improving?

No, but as I said in my first post we really should finish 8th the way we are travelling at the moment, or do we all think we have improved by finishing 9th as we did through the 90's only to realise that we still have many gaps to fill on field??

except for the experience of getting to play in the finals the difference between finishing 8th and 9th is negligible. if we end up  there abouts it will due to continued improvement and that is a good thing.

To compare to previous seasons is not relevant. Where in our recent history have we changed the list and had a coach who has transformed the way the players go about it in such a dramatic way? The only thing finishing 9th would have in common with any of those other years is the amount of places from the top we finish, while we would actually be further from the bottom.

I suppose it comes down to how you view where the club is at and where it is heading.

Personally I am happy to see the team develop and improve while the rung number we sit on at the end of the season is pretty much irrelevant.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
We've been down long enough, no need to tank anymore, just top up

Deledio
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Vickery
Martin
Conca
Astbury
Rance
Batchelor
Edwards
Griffiths
Grimes
Grigg
Houli

That's a pretty decent junior core to build around, especially when there are a few more "senior" players not included in that list like Foley, Moore, Jackson & King plus other juniors like Helbig who looks like he'll end up as a good player. The oldest player on that list above is Lids who only turned 24 a couple of weeks ago so they have at least 7-8 years together developing.

There is 14 players listed there alone and most of them are 1st & 2nd round picks, how much tanking do we need to do?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 07:26:20 PM »

There is 14 players listed there alone and most of them are 1st & 2nd round picks, how much tanking do we need to do?

None actually Inf, exactly the amount we did to build the current list.

I find it funny how many of the pro-tanking advocates have pulled stumps and declared there is no need for tanking now.  There never was.  And we didn't need to compromise the integrity of our club, our team and our players in getting where we are.  And the coaches can look the players in the eye when they preach honesty in performance and a winning mentality.  And our players can have the full confidence in their coach's efforts to develop the players and the team to the highest level of their capabilities.  And no vermin supporter from any tanking club can say a word when we talk up the worth of being a Tiger.

:gotigers

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »
Stole this from another thread, the difference between finishing 9th and 13th-17th is very big if you take into consideration the players that copuld be available at those picks. All I am saying is that if can't get into the top 8 I would rather finish 13th or lower to have a better shot at a potental star, rather than finish as a brides maid AGAIN (9th) and pick up another so-so player that will never eventuate to anything. 

Round One
1 Team GWS
2 Team GWS
3 Team GWS
4 Club 17 on 2011 ladder
5 Team GWS
6 Club 16 on 2011 ladder
7 Team GWS
8 Club 15 on 2011 ladder
9 Team GWS
10 Club 14 on 2011 ladder
11 Team GWS
12 Club 13 on 2011 ladder
13 Team GWS
14 Club 12 on 2011 ladder
15 Team GWS
16 Club 11 on 2011 ladder
17 Club 10 on 2011 ladder
18 Club 9 on 2011 ladder
19 Club 8 on 2011 ladder
20 Club 7 on 2011 ladder
21 Club 6 on 2011 ladder
22 Club 5 on 2011 ladder
23 Club 4 on 2011 ladder
24 Club 3 on 2011 ladder
25 Club 2 on 2011 ladder
26 Club 1 on 2011 ladder
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »

Deledio
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Vickery
Martin
Conca
Astbury
Rance
Batchelor
Edwards
Griffiths
Grimes
Grigg
Houli

That's a pretty decent junior core to build around, especially when there are a few more "senior" players not included in that list like Foley, Moore, Jackson & King plus other juniors like Helbig who looks like he'll end up as a good player. The oldest player on that list above is Lids who only turned 24 a couple of weeks ago so they have at least 7-8 years together developing.

Yes, yes and agreed.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

I find it funny how many of the pro-tanking advocates have pulled stumps and declared there is no need for tanking now.  There never was.  And we didn't need to compromise the integrity of our club, our team and our players in getting where we are.  And the coaches can look the players in the eye when they preach honesty in performance and a winning mentality.  And our players can have the full confidence in their coach's efforts to develop the players and the team to the highest level of their capabilities.  And no vermin supporter from any tanking club can say a word when we talk up the worth of being a Tiger.

:clapping
something that will never dawn on some, so it seems
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

:clapping
something that will never dawn on some, so it seems

Some may have differing opinions = forum...I have never been an advocate for tanking, I despise it, but I despise finishing 9th as well.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »
Some may have differing opinions = forum...I have never been an advocate for tanking, I despise it, but I despise finishing 9th as well.

Problem with you not wanting to finish 9th WAT is you are actually (indirectly) wanting to lose.

I honestly don't think you can say I want to keep improving, I want wins and in the very next sentence say I don't want to finish 9th.

Facts are if we keep improving then then is a bloody good chance we will keep winning, keep winning and you climb the ladder, how high you go depends on how many you win.

So what if we finish 9th, 12th, 13th or even 8th as long as the club continues to put games into the kids and we keep improving and as a result we keep re-building for a brighter our long term future eg a consistent finals team. 

That's what we've wanted, what we've pleaded for and finally that's what the Club's doing and if it means 9th well at least it will mean a helluva lot more this time rather than what it's meant in the past
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »

Problem with you not wanting to finish 9th WAT is you are actually (indirectly) wanting to lose.

I honestly don't think you can say I want to keep improving, I want wins and in the very next sentence say I don't want to finish 9th.

Facts are if we keep improving then then is a bloody good chance we will keep winning, keep winning and you climb the ladder, how high you go depends on how many you win.

So what if we finish 9th, 12th, 13th or even 8th as long as the club continues to put games into the kids and we keep improving and as a result we keep re-building for a brighter our long term future eg a consistent finals team. 

That's what we've wanted, what we've pleaded for and finally that's what the Club's doing and if it means 9th well at least it will mean a helluva lot more this time rather than what it's meant in the past

Yes true WP and there is a reason I believe so strongly about not finishing 9th even though we are moving up the ladder. I actually believe our current team is one more draft away from securing better than average players through next years draft and trade period. I would hate to think that we are getting ahead of ourselves...yet again. While I love winning and really don't want to lose I would take the loses for the sake of one more draft and better picks. We really have no depth, we have no players coming through in the seconds, that have shown they will be anything. We have a week backline and I feel that with one more decent draft we could top up the positions where we are lacking depth.

Anyway, lets hope I am wrong.

"Rucks:

gerkin greg

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
Carlton finished in the 8 and picked up Watson at pick 18 who is going to be a gun KPD
The Swans picked up Hannebery at pick 30 in 2008 and he won last year's rising star
there are good kids available to all clubs at the draft, no matter where you finish
the recruiters just need to find them

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »
Carlton finished in the 8 and picked up Watson at pick 18 who is going to be a gun KPD
The Swans picked up Hannebery at pick 30 in 2008 and he won last year's rising star
there are good kids available to all clubs at the draft, no matter where you finish
the recruiters just need to find them

Very true, our recruiters need to find them.

"Rucks:

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 12:15:18 AM »
True, Girks.

and what pick was Jack Darling last year?

There are bargains a plenty' to the resourceful club.

gerkin greg

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
Then there is Blair Hartley identifying the Houli, Grigg, McGlynn, Kennedy type trades

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 03:46:11 AM »
Yep and if we finish 9th there will be 17 picks before ours.. :whistle

Does that narrow down the odds of picking up one of the players mentioned above...um yes, one would think it does. ;)

"Rucks:

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:59 AM »
Yes true WP and there is a reason I believe so strongly about not finishing 9th even though we are moving up the ladder. I actually believe our current team is one more draft away from securing better than average players through next years draft and trade period. I would hate to think that we are getting ahead of ourselves...yet again. While I love winning and really don't want to lose I would take the loses for the sake of one more draft and better picks. We really have no depth, we have no players coming through in the seconds, that have shown they will be anything. We have a week backline and I feel that with one more decent draft we could top up the positions where we are lacking depth.
Bingo! Although WAT I think we're outnumbered on this  ;D. This is the last of years you want to finish 9th with only pick 18 on offer. That's effectively missing out on a normal first round pick  :P. Wait till next year and go for your life up the ladder as even 9th place would still get us a top 10 pick plus we'll have our end of first round compo pick available. As you said WAT overachieving this year would be getting ahead of ourselves and hurt us in becoming genuine premiership challengers in the upcoming years.

We've been very fortunate this year with few key injuries apart from Moore so our lack of depth hasn't been exposed against the low-to-middle of the road sides.
Our spine is only settled at FF with Jack. We are hoping Griffs and Astbury in time will fill two of them but nothing is certain yet and then we've got to find a big-body full back. The ruck possie is certain either.
Our side has too many smalls who will get pushed aside by bigger bodied opponents in finals footy if we think the current group as is is complete enough to move forward with.  Also we still lack class across all lines as our side falls away quickly after the top half-dozen or so players. The class is found earlier on in the draft. No coincidence our best players are high draft picks - Lids (1), Cotch (2), Martin (3) & Jack (13).

We may have won 3 in a row but we are still a long way away. Judging us by wins/losses is still misleading.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd