Author Topic: Federal Budget  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Federal Budget
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Thoughts?

Can someone explain to me the benefit of these "set top boxes".

Wouldnt they be better off buying a LCD/Plasma for the same price? Not to mention the fact how that some of the new LCD's/plasmas opposed to the old analogues, are very environmently friendly

IMO this is a complete waste of money as anyone can change an address of their Grandma and say she needs a set top box where in fact they are the ones who are living in the house.

How will they police it?

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Federal Budget
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »
IMO this is a complete waste of money as anyone can change an address of their Grandma and say she needs a set top box where in fact they are the ones who are living in the house.

How will they police it?

Would assume that they will police via pensioners info held by Centrelink (or whatever they call the Dept of Social Security these days  ;D)

As for the actually scheme, I have no problem with it...

I know an elderly person who barely survives on a pension so cannot afford to by a new digi TV or a set top box so it helps them out..  ;D

I have no problem with govts (no matter which political party) that helps pensioners ...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »

How will they police it?

Would assume that they will police via pensioners info held by Centrelink (or whatever they call the Dept of Social Security these days  ;D)

As for the actually scheme, I have no problem with it...

I know an elderly person who barely survives on a pension so cannot afford to by a new digi TV or a set top box so it helps them out..  ;D

I have no problem with govts (no matter which political party) that helps pensioners ...

I think your missing the point, the elderly can be helped in other ways.

Thats one example you have given me but there are so many people out there who will use this to upgrade their own TV. Its wrong.

Same people that use disabled stickers on their vehicles from their nanna who doesnt drive.

This is not right. I wouldve preferred a rebate back to them to spend how they wish.

You will find that there will be all over the country getting set top boxes with no elderly person in sight

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:43:08 AM »
Ballarat TV technician Frank Schaefer said he had received more than 20 calls from pensioners for boxes that were either not working or had been installed incorrectly.

He claimed pensioners had been left with no contact details for assistance.

"This is daylight robbery," he said of the $400 of taxpayer money it costs for a digital box.

"It is extremely over-priced and the Queensland based contractors didn't seem to know what they were doing.

"At least half a dozen were faulty and many were not connected properly."

Ballarat pensioner Reg McLaren, 72, was one recipient of the government scheme who last week found his box did not work and paid $100 to Mr Schaefer for a new box. He said five of his friends had experienced the same problem.

"A bloke just turned up a few months ago, said he was from the government and every pensioner got one free," Mr McLaren told the Herald Sun.

"I switched it on last Friday and it didn't work.

"I find it astonishing they would waste that sort of money."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/bad-reception-to-pensioners-tv-scheme/story-fn7x8me2-1226053597508

Program is already getting complaints in Vic. So what does Swan do? he takes the program nationally. Most pensioners would rather a one off payment off 400 dollars to be able to buy food or things they actually need or want.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »
Ballarat TV technician Frank Schaefer said he had received more than 20 calls from pensioners for boxes that were either not working or had been installed incorrectly.

He claimed pensioners had been left with no contact details for assistance.

"This is daylight robbery," he said of the $400 of taxpayer money it costs for a digital box.

"It is extremely over-priced and the Queensland based contractors didn't seem to know what they were doing.

"At least half a dozen were faulty and many were not connected properly."

Ballarat pensioner Reg McLaren, 72, was one recipient of the government scheme who last week found his box did not work and paid $100 to Mr Schaefer for a new box. He said five of his friends had experienced the same problem.

"A bloke just turned up a few months ago, said he was from the government and every pensioner got one free," Mr McLaren told the Herald Sun.

"I switched it on last Friday and it didn't work.

"I find it astonishing they would waste that sort of money."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/bad-reception-to-pensioners-tv-scheme/story-fn7x8me2-1226053597508

Program is already getting complaints in Vic. So what does Swan do? he takes the program nationally. Most pensioners would rather a one off payment off 400 dollars to be able to buy food or things they actually need or want.
The same guy last week was blaming poor digital reception in the Ballarat area for the cut outs.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/ballarat-digital-tv-trouble-what-you-can-do/2155793.aspx

The Government is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Do nothing and the media will be all over them about leaving poor old-age pensioners without tv.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »
Same people that use disabled stickers on their vehicles from their nanna who doesnt drive.

In some cases daniel, Nanna may not drive but still has a disable sticker for the people who drive her around.

Ma Powell didn't drive but we had a disable parking permit for when we took her out. She couldn't walk long distances and at times we had to carry her walking frame or a wheel chair in the car, so we needed that sticker. We never used it any other time.

I will confess though to getting mighty pee'd off when people use it when they shouldn't.

And regarding rebating the value of the set top box back to pensioners and letting them do with it what they want with the $$$. Sadly some would just make their way to the nearest pokie venue and blow it so perhaps they are trying to avoid that...who knows

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
Ok i have not heard anything from the budget, but i from this thread I am assuming that there is some sort of govt handout for set top boxes for pensioners?

$400?

What planet are these people from? you can get a set digital set top box for under $100.

More govt waste if i have assumed correctly.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Ok i have not heard anything from the budget, but i from this thread I am assuming that there is some sort of govt handout for set top boxes for pensioners?

$400?

What planet are these people from? you can get a set digital set top box for under $100.

yep 400 dollars is a total rip off. I dont even think they will be evening receiving HD digital top boxers just standard ones and there only about 40 dollars. So that makes us the tax payer pay 370 dollars just for someone to plug into the tv and power point. Its going to be pink batt scandal all over again. But over priced contracts for these projects is what labor have always done and do best. They treat tax payers like a never ending money tree.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

$400?

I couldnt care less if this idea came from labour or Liberal, they both make me sick, facts are this is an absolute waste of money.

I bought a 32 inch Samsung for 400 bux from JB HIFI and its very efficient in power. Some of these old analogue TV's are a joke. Use so much more power so in the end will cost the pensioners more. On one hand we want to reduce emissions and the other we are allowing the use of these old analogue TV's instead of maybe giving them one for half the price or a cheaper set top box as Al suggested.

Cheaper medicine, cheaper electricity, more pension, anything wouldve been better than these stupid set top boxes. LMFAO.

Who are these installers and how can we be certain they are fully qualified and know what they are doing.

i just think money could've been spent elsewhere for pensioners.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »

$400?

I couldnt care less if this idea came from labour or Liberal, they both make me sick, facts are this is an absolute waste of money.

I bought a 32 inch Samsung for 400 bux from JB HIFI and its very efficient in power. Some of these old analogue TV's are a joke. Use so much more power so in the end will cost the pensioners more. On one hand we want to reduce emissions and the other we are allowing the use of these old analogue TV's instead of maybe giving them one for half the price or a cheaper set top box as Al suggested.

Cheaper medicine, cheaper electricity, more pension, anything wouldve been better than these stupid set top boxes. LMFAO.

Who are these installers and how can we be certain they are fully qualified and know what they are doing.

i just think money could've been spent elsewhere for pensioners.
Dont worry daniel they will be fully qualified. They have to do a online course before they can go out and install them :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
I did laugh at all the comments on the Herald-Sun this morning from people earning $150k p.a. crying poor because there's cuts to handouts they should never have been given in the first place. Sheesh if you have large credit card debts on that kind of money then you have no idea how to manage money :nopity. Welfare should only be for those who desperately need it to survive; not to subsidise 650k mortgages, credit card debts, etc ... for idiots who want it all even though they can't afford it and then expect the government and taxpayers to pay for it  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:17:06 AM »
I did laugh at all the comments on the Herald-Sun this morning from people earning $150k p.a. crying poor because there's cuts to handouts they should never have been given in the first place. Sheesh if you have large credit card debts on that kind of money then you have no idea how to manage money :nopity. Welfare should only be for those who desperately need it to survive; not to subsidise 650k mortgages, credit card debts, etc ... for idiots who want it all even though they can't afford it and then expect the government and taxpayers to pay for it  ::).

I had a laugh too MT, the $650k mortgage  :gobdrop, "huge" credit card debt and then they say times are tough...

What I also found strange and somewhat disappointing was the lady whose family had the $130k income who said she wasn't going to work to increase their income because it would mean they would lose everything they are entitled to  :o :o

"Entitled to"  :o perhaps that is in part what's wrong with us these days, we think life (read the govt) "owes" us something maybe there are far too many handouts being handed out

FNM

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
It really is obscene these whingers
That money could go to other programs of people who are "genuinely" needy!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
Unpopular to trim middle class welfare. At last a government has the guts to do it.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

FNM

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
is already getting complaints in Vic. So what does Swan do? he takes the program nationally. Most pensioners would rather a one off payment off 400 dollars to be able to buy food or things they actually need or want.
A television set for an old-age pensioner, or a person with a disability who lives on their own is like their best friend.  That's all they have to keep them in touch with the outside world.
When the digital era comes in, most won't be savvy enough to realise they won't have coverage
The money incorporates the box, the installation, home assistance (training etc), so it's not just the cost of a set-top box.
Money well spent in keeping these people in the loop. Obviously, if they don't need one, they won't get it I'm assuming.