Author Topic: Tall Backs  (Read 7093 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Tall Backs
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
In the name of getting games into the kids, we seemed to have stalled a bit.
Maybe they need to show more form in the magoos but we are still in experiment/rebuild so I reckon get Gourdis and Derrickx in the backline and see how they go for a couple of weeks.
Players do step up at the higher level, may aswell find out especially in the X stakes.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »
I think Dimma is going about it the right way. He is not throwing all the kids to the wolves all at once but rather given each an extended period of time to learn the craft and gain the confidence to find their way. He is keeping older, more experienced backman, down in defence to support this educational period and ensure they are not burdened with the most difficult opposition forward straight up.

McGuane is a necessary evil currently. He is our best tall defender at the moment and someone who has played on the better forwards for numerous year now. Players such as Grimes and even Rance will learn from him and learn how to play within a defenite defensive structure. Players such as Batchelor and Conca are not true defenders per say, but rather defensive forwards. Their role and responsibilities are completely different.

When their form warrants it, I would like to see Astbury and Post be given similar time frames in defence to gain experience in this type of role. Moore's return will strengthen up the defence in the short term (though he may never return this year) but we are pinning a great deal of hope on too few.

We do need to continue to develop our tall backs and hope that with experience and continued education they become a strong defensive unit. Until then though expect the points scored against us to continue to mount  :'( 

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
If I have said it once I will say it a million times, IMO we need to go after an established big backmen or 2 during the trade period. A couple of decent/good defenders that won't cost us much (no early picks) and that are still young.

Maybe Morton (Melbourne) is a player that Hardwick could turn around, he is out of sorts at Melbourne and out of contract at the end of the year. He is 21 years old too and could settle into part of our future backline.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

gerkin greg

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
If you've said it that many times WAT, care to name these established decent/good big defenders that wont cost us much, and are still young?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
Maybe Morton (Melbourne) is a player that Hardwick could turn around, he is out of sorts at Melbourne and out of contract at the end of the year. He is 21 years old too and could settle into part of our future backline.

Cale Morton aint no tall backman - he's a mid fielder and bloody skinny one too  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
If you've said it that many times WAT, care to name these established decent/good big defenders that wont cost us much, and are still young?

Would not have a clue gg, thought you would look into that for us mate... :thumbsup

Morton from Melbourne is one, needs to bulk up a bit though.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »

Cale Morton aint no tall backman - he's a mid fielder and bloody skinny one too  ;D

I know he is skinny, but why is he described as a backman in an article I read this morning????

"Rucks:

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 03:51:59 PM »
Possibly a rebounding back flanker at best. Normally plays midfield
He's not what we need.
has attitude problems like his bro.

gerkin greg

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
Would not have a clue gg, thought you would look into that for us mate... :thumbsup

:lol yeah cheers mate

big bob carslile from port is out of contract but i reckon gws are all over him

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
Moore is a big loss for us. Agree we need to get a quality tall backman. I hope Astbury makes it. I don't believe it is right to play Rance on the tallest forward for the opposition Thursfield or for that fact Gourdis would have been better choices. 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »
I know he is skinny, but why is he described as a backman in an article I read this morning????

AFL record pre-season player profiles and dream team stuff says he's a mid

Ht: 192 cm
Wt: 85kgs
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:14 PM »
the AFL prospectus that i bought in chinatown says he's a lazy squib utility

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
Gee the competition is really lacking in quality backman, gone are the days of, Woosha, McKenna, Doul, Silvagni, Aires, Jess....where are the big names like that.. :(

"Rucks:

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
real area of concern are our tall backs
Last week Keppler Bradley
This week Will Minson
who is next week? :banghead
Hardly households names who have killed us in consecutive weeks

tipped Will Minson last week, who kicks the bag this week ??
Which duds career will we reignite

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
Stanton...will be BOG and kick 5

"Rucks: