Author Topic: Intra-club match - 9/2/05  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Re: Intra-club match - 9/2/05
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 02:29:07 AM »
and the obligatory few snap shots...

Jacko shoots for goal

Tambo does the same

Jackson and Moore

Rix rucks
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers to drop Campbell? It's possible
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 04:41:49 AM »
Out of all the positives that came out of yesterday's intra-club match why are some in the media making such a big deal out of Cambo playing for the possibles  ???.

---------------------------------

Tigers to drop Campbell? It's possible
By Melissa Ryan
The Age
February 10, 2005

Wayne Campbell's exclusion from the team dubbed by coach Terry Wallace as "virtually our best side" in Richmond's intra-club match at Victoria Park yesterday overshadowed starring roles from would-be captain Matthew Richardson and eye-catching youngster Richard Tambling.

Campbell, who stood down as Richmond captain before the last game of 2004, was included in the team of "possibles" against the "probables" who are set for the starting line-up against Collingwood in the club's pre-season Wizard Cup opener tomorrow week.

With Tambling and No. 1 draft pick Brett Deledio certain starters for the match against the Magpies, Wallace was quizzed about Campbell's omission from the "probables" after the hit-out, which consisted of four 25-minute quarters. Mark Chaffey found himself alongside his former captain in the young team.

"Wayne, we just needed some experience in that younger group," Wallace said. "We are looking towards the future and so the situation was having some sort of experience in the other side. Wayne's an experienced player, he'll step up when the time need be.

"We only had 18 running around in that side, we'll have 24 running around next Friday night so you'd suggest that he'd be one of them, wouldn't you?.

"We haven't selected our side. No one's a walk-up start until we've selected our side. He was in the possibles today so he has to be one of six to step up if we play the 18 (probables)."

Richardson, one of four contenders for the Richmond captaincy, had his chance to display his leadership wares by captaining the "probables" and he booted six goals in three quarters from centre half-forward.

Tambling, the No. 4 pick in the national draft, could have had almost as many alongside his name but for some wobbly set-shot kicking.

Richardson dominated against opponents Kyle Archibald, Kelvin Moore and Coburg player Michael Rix, and again combined strongly with new recruit Troy Simmonds, who rotated between full-forward and the ruck, kicking two goals but also missing some shots.

Just as Deledio shone in Mildura last week, Tambling took his turn yesterday, kicking three goals but also missing three shots at goal. He roamed the forward line, spent time on the wing, and in a moment of deja vu for Brent Hartigan, twice chased and tackled his teammate in the space of minutes.

"I thought a couple of times when he had shots on goal when he was on angles, perhaps at under-18 level he would have taken off, run around and almost kicked them (Jeff) Farmer-like, but here he was a bit more rigid and a bit more stiff in his approach on his set shot goal-kicking," Wallace said.

"The sooner that he can relax and play his natural game, which he's learning to do pretty quickly, the better. He is a player with flair and you've got to let those guys have their head."

Mark Coughlan, continuing his comeback from osteitis pubis, played in the second quarter, while Greg Stafford (knee) played the first half. Stafford is a chance of playing against the Magpies next week, but the match committee will weigh up whether to play him off the bench or give him four quarters in the reserves instead.

Nathan Brown, another of the captaincy contenders, did not play because of hamstring tightness but coached the "probables" with Trent Knobel.

Wallace is expected to decide on who will lead the club in "about three weeks". "It was Matthew Richardson's chance to captain today so he captained the side," Wallace said. "We'll just rotate it around. A lot of people will think that whoever captains next week will be the most likely candidate. I don't think that will be the case, we're in a rotation mode."

Andrew Krakouer, who was lively in the third quarter with two goals, hobbled off after sustaining a kick to the calf and bruising. He will be monitored ahead of the Collingwood game, as will Brown.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/09/1107890272782.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 03:44:10 PM »
Don't know why they are even considering playing Campbell in the Wizard Cup. You'd think there'd be a whole line up of kids that should be trialed first.

Offline thetigerman

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 05:37:07 PM »
Just got back and will give a quick summary before going into more detail later on as well as adding some pics.

Teams were split in probables (black) and possibles (white) with the blacks a far stronger side to the tune of 122 points  :o. The whites had a number of Coburg players which I didn't recongize. Terry said the Blacks were the "18" and the 24 for the Wiz cup would come from the whites.

Final Scores:

Blacks: 4.5 8.11 16.15  22.17-149
Whites:  2.3 3.3 3.8 3.9-27

Final score  PROBABLES  22.20 - 152
                  POSSIBLES     3.  9 -  27

Danny Meyer played very well easily beating Danny Jackson
    Richo's kicking still needs work
    Kuret played with the Possibles, not Probables as listed

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 05:53:20 PM »
Cambo's been talked about playing in a forward pocket for most of the pre-season but I didn't see him in that position yesterday. Maybe Wallace will plonk him there next Friday and play him in similar way to which Tambling did in the intra-club deep down in the goalsquare.

If we're are simply adding 6 possibles to the 18 probables then they could be Gilmour, Raines, Meyer, Stafford, Cambo, Chaffey ?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 06:40:30 PM »
Young from Coburg also played for the whites (no20).

I thought no42 for the blacks was Nick Bruton, 203cm & skinny 75kg formerly at the Bulldogs who has signed with Coburg. Apparently it was McKinnon though.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline duckboy

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »
I reckon you could be close with those six but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Tuck and Moore given a run. Hartigan would definitely play too you'd think.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 07:39:42 PM »
I would think that if Stafford is fit he'll play and would be the first choice FF. Also, I don't think Knobel will play against the Pies so we made need Stafford.

However, I heard Greg Miller on Sport927 and he said that young Pattison played for the "possibiles" in the ruck and did quitre well (can anyone confirm) so maybe he is a chance to play in the Wizz Fizz Cup

Hartigan would definitely play too you'd think.

Totally agree Duckboy - if Hartigan is fit and completely over the very mild case of OP he should play.

Slightest injury doubt he shouldn't.

That should be the rule for everyone - any niggles or doubts over fitness - we don't play them.

I think that in 2005 that'll be the rule rather than the exception :cheers

PS: Welcome to OER duckboy :thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 07:44:37 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 08:48:29 PM »

I heard Greg Miller on Sport927 and he said that young Pattison played for the "possibiles" in the ruck and did quitre well (can anyone confirm) so maybe he is a chance to play in the Wizz Fizz Cup

I thought he was very good in the first quarter WP. He cleared the ball out of the middle several times and showed good agility.

Didn't notice him much when he went forward later on. I was impressed from a long term point of view and can understand from one viewing why he would be picked ahead of Wood in the draft.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2005, 10:31:38 PM »
Pattison played for the probables. Began in the ruck against Stafford.

Other initial first quarter match ups were from what I could make out (forward line whites):

Blacks - Whites:

Schulz (FB) - 38? (FF)
Kellaway (B) - 20. McKinnon (F)
Gas (CHB) - Moore (CHF)
Jackson (HB) - Gilmour (HF)
Newman (BP) - Raines (FP)
Roach (W) - Hartigan (W)
Tivs (HB) - Meyer (HF)
Johnson (C) - Chaffey (C - tag?)

Later on in 1st qtr:

Deledio (HBF) - Meyer
Kellaway (B) - Stafford (F)
Jackson - Tuck (F)

2nd qtr:

Simmonds (F) - Rix
Richo (FF) - Archibald (FB)
Tambling (F) - Polo

3rd qtr:

Gas (CHB) - Archibald (CHF)
Schulz (FB) - 38? (FF)

4th Qtr:

Jackson (FF) - Moore (FB)
Pattison (CHF) - Rix (CHB)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 01:38:13 AM »
MT, 38 for the white was Luke McGuane :thumbsup
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2005, 03:08:32 AM »
Doh!  :-[

Thanks fwoy. That'll teach me for being too lazy to check the players list :shh.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 03:44:33 AM »
Mick McGuane gave his thoughts on our intra-club match on sport 927:

http://www.sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/MM_110205.asx

- McGuane said the hitout was impressive.
- As a former midfielder himself, Deledio stood out for him. Said Deledio would be a superstar. He knew where to run to to get to the contest and delivered the ball well.
- Pattison will the surprise packet in 12 months time for us. Was impressed with his workrate.