Author Topic: RFC should chase the 17yo GWS picks as 1st priority [merged]  (Read 26774 times)

10 FLAGS

Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast and Fremantle are all fighting for Jaegar O'Meara. Don't know much about O'Meara but he seems to have a lot of fans in the recruiting departments of AFL clubs. What would people be happy for us to give up to GWS to get one of these 4 picks?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond interested in 17 y.o. Jaegar O'Meara via GWS rule (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
Here's the full article...

Tomorrow's stars in Giants' sights
Jake Niall
May 25, 2011

OVER the past several weeks, Greater Western Sydney officials have held meetings with the established clubs in what could be described as the entree to trade talks.

The subject of the discussions - which have been informal - are prized 17-year-olds, such as West Australian youngster Jaegar O'Meara, whom several clubs, including Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, Gold Coast and the Perth teams, have expressed preliminary interest in acquiring.

Whereas this time last year clubs were buzzing with speculation - much of which proved accurate - about the players, such as Gary Ablett, who were slated to join Gold Coast as out-of-contract signings, there hasn't been as much mail on the Giants' covert recruiting operations.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Yes, there's been talk about Melbourne's Tom Scully and Adelaide's Taylor Walker as potential signings (Walker's beer at the footy, strangely, seeming to fuel that), but most of the speculation has been guess work; last year there was far more, well-founded, intelligence about Campbell Brown, Michael Rischitelli, Jarrod Harbrow, Nathan Krakouer, Jared Brennan and, of course, the prize of Ablett, whose meeting with the Suns in December 2009 was a matter of public record.

This time, rival clubs genuinely seem in the dark.

One reason there is less focus on GWS's raids on prospective out-of-contract players is that the Giants don't have to chase them nearly as hard as the Suns did.

First, they have a two-year window in which to sign out-of-contract players, and can afford to be more choosey. It's conceivable that they would prefer the out-of-contract pool for the end of 2012 to this year's menu.

But no less significant is the fact the AFL has handed the Giants another major concession that removes the pressure on them to sign senior players.

It is the rule that has prompted this recent series of meetings between the Giants' football operatives - headed by Graeme Allan and list manager Stephen Silvagni - and most of the existing clubs.

Mindful of the greater challenges facing a club in the tough Sydney market, the AFL gave the Giants the right to trade a total of four 17-year-olds, who aren't eligible for the draft, at the end of 2011 and 2012.

The Giants cannot hoard these youngsters, who must be born between January 1 and April 30 (in 1994 or 1995). They can only be traded. In practice, they will trade rival clubs a pick in a separate mini-draft, rather than a specific player. For example, they could give Essendon pick No. 1 in this mini-draft this year in return for say, Scott Gumbleton or Patrick Ryder, and it would pick whichever 17-year-old it liked.

They can spread these four transactions over two years, which increases the value of the ''picks.''

O'Meara, a smooth midfielder from Perth Football Club, is merely the best known and, at this early stage, most desired of the kids in question.

Victorians Jake Stringer and Brad Crouch, West Australians Chris Yarran, Shannon Taylor and Dayle Garlett and South Australian Ben Kennedy (who is playing seniors at Glenelg) and Josh Simpson are among the potential 17-year-olds, who cannot play AFL until 2013.

Jack Martin, a 16-year-old from Geraldton, is among those eligible as a 17-year-old trade next year. The Giants don't want to trade all four at once, because this would weaken the draft pool next year, when they don't have so many early picks.

For the AFL, the 17-year-old trading fair is an insurance policy for GWS. If the Giants struggle to sign out-of-contract players, then they can fall back on these trades. Plus, they can utilise the rule that gives them first rights to any player who has been on an AFL list, the rule that delivered Andrew Krakouer to Collingwood, via the Gold Coast (which got a draft pick).

Gold Coast recruiting supremo Scott Clayton said the recruiting rules had given GWS valuable flexibility and the club was extremely well-placed for ''the short and long term.''

''The GWS establishment rules are constructed really smartly. They've got real flexibility with two years of uncontracteds, the 17-year-old rule and previously listed players.

''There's no need to panic.''

Supporters of the old clubs should worry less about losing their stars this year. There's almost as much chance that the player they lose to GWS will be sent there, in return for a kid, as pinched from them by a rapacious Giants raid.

It's tomorrow's stars that the Giants are taking from them, first and foremost.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tomorrows-stars-in-giants-sights-20110524-1f2ij.html#ixzz1NKRgBs85

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond interested in 17 y.o. Jaegar O'Meara via GWS rule (Age)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
Would be a struggle for us to secure such a player with that sort of interest unless we are willing to give up a significant player/s. We just don't seem to have the depth to give up anyone of any value compared to teams such as Commingwood and even the Gold Coast.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
Gold Coast shouldnt be allowed to be involved in getting any of these 17 yo picks IMHO.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
I agree Stripes. Unfortunately at this point in time our depth can't match the likes of alot of other teams that might be looking at getting a top youngster to help them from bottoming out badly.
10Flags it can look unfair in some sense but there now in the AFL so they should have the same rights as every other club to target youngsters. I wouldn't think the Gold Coast would have much to bargain with though. I couldn't see them giving away a talented youngster that has shown signs.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
Nickname would have to be 'Bomb'.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
I would give up any one or combination of Jackson, Moore, Connors & Morton for this lad.
Even though I dont know anything about him, he must go alright to be getting this press this early

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
your not going to give up an established top line player for an untried 17 year old. Fringe players as pmac suggested maybe (although jackson is not a fringe player in Hardwicks eyes).

The exception may be an older top line player nearing the end of his career.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
I would give up any one or combination of Jackson, Moore, Connors & Morton for this lad.
Even though I dont know anything about him, he must go alright to be getting this press this early

Played 2 Senior Games with Railways in the GNFL last year 2nd Semi & Grand Final

BOG in both for mine, went to 2nd semi specifically to watch him

Won the Medal for BOG in GF, was in town last week & appears to have grown a bit also

Will be a gun

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »
your not going to give up an established top line player for an untried 17 year old. Fringe players as pmac suggested maybe (although jackson is not a fringe player in Hardwicks eyes).

The exception may be an older top line player nearing the end of his career.

We could afford to lose any of these players mentioned especially if he is as good as they are making out.
A Thursfield or a Graham is not going to do it and we dont have many players at the end of their careers

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »

A Thursfield or a Graham is not going to do it and we dont have many players at the end of their careers

I think i've already found a home for Gus.

PORT Adelaide veteran Dean Brogan says the club should look to recruit a ready-made ruckman to bolster its big-man stocks next season.

Considering how ruckmen are ridiculously overpriced, Hartlett and their first rounder would do me.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

10 FLAGS

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:52:39 PM »
Is it fair to say that these 17yo picks are equivalent to the top picks in the draft but theyre just 1 year younger? If thats the case we are dealing with potential A grade players of the future and that would require some decent exchange to take place. Can draft picks be exchanged for a 17 year old pick?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
a lot can change in that 12 months flags. Players touted as top picks drop off and others come from the blue.
Nearly as much of a lottery at that age as buying yearlings
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
Isn't this where Lloyd came from? Bombers traded some dud to Freo for the rights to Lloyd?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
a lot can change in that 12 months flags. Players touted as top picks drop off and others come from the blue.
Nearly as much of a lottery at that age as buying yearlings
True a lot can change. Darling was rated a top 3 pick at 17, slipped due to off field issues to late 20's but he still performs on field now to that of a pick 1-3. I think these days the clubs would have a good idea at who would be right up there in a years time.