Author Topic: 2011 Draft thread [merged]  (Read 41132 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2011 Draft thread
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
Brett Anderson from Inside Football:

"Wingard to Port looks to be a done deal with the GWS taking Patton, Coniglio, Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine/Longer as the top 5."

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

Willie Wheeler will get drafted, not sure rookie or national but probably rookie.

Good HP sauce.

:thumbsup

I have no inside knowledge but I think he will too '65.  Showed too much promise at the lower level to be ignored in this year of slim pickings.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 03:36:18 AM »
It's official we'll have just 3 picks so presumably it'll be picks 15 and 26 on two kids and then McCarthy either at Pick 55 or in the PSD. Then guys like Contin and Wheeler will be picked up in the rookie draft.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What your team needs (Bigpond)
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »
What your team needs

By Michael Rogers
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Source: BigPond Sport

Richmond
The Tigers need a key defender more than most, with Will Thursfield now retired and Luke McGuane out of favour. They have prospects in David Astbury and Matt Dea but neither is a lock. If they don't see the player they want at No.15, expect Richmond to bolster their midfield. They still lack depth outside their classy first-choice rotation.
Picks: 15, 26, 55
Dream pick: Matthew Buntine (Dandenong Stingrays)

Summaries for all clubs are here: http://www.bigpondsport.com/what-your-team-needs/tabid/91/newsid/80322/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The draft wish list (afl site)
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
The wish list
By Jason Phelan
Thu 17 Nov, 2011

Richmond: 15, 26, 55

The Tigers need to add another polished kick coming out of the back half and some medium to tall forward talent with their first picks at 15 and 26.

Gippsland Power defender Sam Docherty is one of the better kicks in the draft, shows great poise under pressure and his potential to develop into a midfielder makes him worthy of pick 15.

An option with their next pick may be WA's Joel Hamling, a 194cm forward who runs a 2.90-second 20m sprint and could ultimately allow Tyrone Vickery to spend more time in the ruck.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126196/default.aspx

gerkin greg

« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
mmm Hamling  :burgereater

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: What your team needs (Bigpond)
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:36 AM »
The Tigers need a key defender more than most, with Will Thursfield now retired and Luke McGuane out of favour. They have prospects in David Astbury and Matt Dea ....

Matt Dea a key defender??  :huh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
A BF poster named Quigley has done a pretty full-on mock draft with detailed summaries of his top 50 draftees. He has Buntine slipping to us at pick 15.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=890556

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: What your team needs (Bigpond)
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
The Tigers need a key defender more than most, with Will Thursfield now retired and Luke McGuane out of favour. They have prospects in David Astbury and Matt Dea ....

Matt Dea a key defender??  :huh
Rance and Post don't exist it seems  :huh

Ox

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
An option with their next pick may be WA's Joel Hamling, a 194cm forward who runs a 2.90-second 20m sprint and could ultimately allow Tyrone Vickery to spend more time in the ruck.

Better!

Can even turn him into a defender.

Enough fricken midget-fielders already!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
The problem though Ox is our second tier mids are crap so we do need to recruit more classier mids. I agree they should be medium-sized mids (184-7cm) rather than more sub-6 foot lightweights who get easily brushed aside.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »
Has the game really changed that much in 30 years in terms of what makes a good footballer?

our 1980 premiership side had 6 players 180cm and under.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
Has the game really changed that much in 30 years in terms of what makes a good footballer?

We won 4 flags from 1967-74 with a CHF who was the same size as Dusty Martin. Royce and Dusty both had/have a playing height/weight of 187cm/86kg. So I would say yes footy has changed in terms of body-size. In any case the 6 players off the top of my head in 1980 were KB, Flea, Raines, Rowlings, Wiley and Malthouse. A fair bit of difference in top quality in that group compared to Foley, Kingy, Nahas, Whitey and Webberley :yep.

I'm not saying al we can't have any sub-6 footers but IMO they need to have elite attributes (freakish speed and skill) and given the state of our list they are pocket/flanker types which are the last pieces of the puzzle. We still need build up a deep core group of quality midfielders behind Cotch and Dusty to become a side capable of not only making September but going all the way.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »
We won 4 flags from 1967-74 with a CHF who was the same size as Dusty Martin. Royce and Dusty both had/have a playing height/weight of 187cm/86kg. So I would say yes footy has changed in terms of body-size. In any case the 6 players off the top of my head in 1980 were KB, Flea, Raines, Rowlings, Wiley and Malthouse. A fair bit of difference in top quality in that group compared to Foley, Kingy, Nahas, Whitey and Webberley :yep.

Thats enough to send us all into depression. How far we have fallen  :'(

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2011, 07:47:40 AM »

I'm not saying al we can't have any sub-6 footers but IMO they need to have elite attributes (freakish speed and skill) and given the state of our list they are pocket/flanker types which are the last pieces of the puzzle. We still need build up a deep core group of quality midfielders behind Cotch and Dusty to become a side capable of not only making September but going all the way.

fully agree about the quality issue, in that an average larger bodied player still has something to fall back on, his size.

I think there will always be a place for smaller players in the game as you need a mix of player types and we dont have any real quality when it come to that player type so i dont have a problem with trying to bring in more in an attempt to get that quality.

sometimes i just get the feeling that some people would just disregard players based solely on their size, yet all of those players you listed were good enough that they would still get a game today

actually the 6th player i was thinking of was freames (sp) so malthouse makes 7  ;D

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI