Author Topic: 2011 Draft thread [merged]  (Read 41111 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2011 Draft thread
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
cheers MT
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
i'd tizz a small ocean if we landed adams and mckenzie

wouldn't mind having a look at jarrod harding from gws with a late pick

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102088/default.aspx

didn't re-sign

k

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
The problem though Ox is our second tier mids are crap so we do need to recruit more classier mids. I agree they should be medium-sized mids (184-7cm) rather than more sub-6 foot lightweights who get easily brushed aside.

Seems to me that OX is quite happy to have  Foley continue in the midfield. Apparently no qualms with Grigg, Jackson or Tucky getting around either.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #213 on: November 21, 2011, 02:20:19 AM »
cheers MT
Here's another article on Kavanagh in today's Herald-Sun al.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Unless Richmond intervenes at 15, or North Melbourne at 17, for the second year in a row, the draft may deliver Essendon a surprise first-round gift, like Heppell last year.

While Kavanagh's hamstring problems are the key concern, some have likened the 187cm ball-carrier's style to Chris Judd, largely for his versatility, endurance and speed.

Kavanagh, 18, said he tried to be flexible through the midfield.

"I can play outside because I've played outside during my junior career playing on a wing," he said. "But last year I got introduced into the midfield set-up where I won a lot of my own ball. I think I do OK in both aspects of the game."

Noted for his decision-making and skill, Kavanagh is an offensive weapon because of his ability to burst through congestion.

He is clean, if not calm as well, ranking first in the draft camp handball test, with a score of 28 out 30.

For a long time last year, Kavanagh loomed as a top-five pick.

But he tore his left hamstring twice, first in August 2010 and in February this year, which would have scared some clubs off.

Even though his form was more subdued this season, Kavanagh still managed about 10 games and won a premiership with Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School.

Since then clubs have done everything to find out about Kavanagh's hamstring.

He told them the first injury was a grade two tear and that doctors had taken a cautious approach to get him right.

The second tear was in a different spot, sounding alarms bells for some recruiters.

He was ruled out of the AIS games and the national championships, making the ball-winner one of the draft pool's biggest quandaries.

But after working hard and gently easing back into the fray, Kavanagh hoped those setbacks were all behind him.

"They have taken a massively conservative approach and built up the hamstring to withstand big workloads," he said.

"So hopefully that has done its work and I can get back out there in the years to come and not have any problems."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/elliott-kavanagh-could-be-another-surprise-for-essendon/story-fnau1fjg-1226200566836

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #214 on: November 21, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
Emma Quayle saying we're not interested in Kavanagh:

emmasq twitter: "no I reckon north or essendon for Kavanagh. Tigers won't pick him"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The league newcomers will grab the lion's share of the first-round talent, but their concentration of early picks — 11 of the first 14 — means GWS could begin drafting for needs earlier than expected. The prospect of talented midfielders being overlooked for a key backman, for instance, leaves the likes of Richmond, Fremantle, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Essendon well placed to snare some much-needed on-ball class. Silky wingman Elliott Kavanagh, spring-heeled flanker Hayden Crozier and Brad McKenzie's deadly boot are just some of the midfield riches that could still be available in the teens.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/will-anyone-punt-on-fev/tabid/91/newsid/80511/default.aspx

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
Why aren't we interested in this kid?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Sabretooth

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
Throwing everyone off the scent?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
Brett Anderson from Inside Football:

"Had Adams at the Tiges, but now looks like he will be gone. Crozier is a good chance, as is Docherty and Kersten."

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
Brett Anderson from Inside Football:

"Had Adams at the Tiges, but now looks like he will be gone. Crozier is a good chance, as is Docherty and Kersten."

Who does Brett Anderson support? Obviously not the Tigers.

Docherty YES!!
Crozier????...NO!! One Speccie does not maketh a star. WP talks about tea towels, this kid is a paper towel and too much of a gamble. I'd Take Devon Smith or Brad McKenzie before Crozier.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »
Personally think we will end up with Docherty or Mackenzie if Adams is goneski.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2011, 03:31:15 PM »
Crozier????...NO!! One Speccie does not maketh a star. WP talks about tea towels, this kid is a paper towel and too much of a gamble.

A wet paper towel or a dry one  tiga ;D

Dry paper towels are slightly stronger  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
The Cotch on his blog footytragic.com has done a detailed phantom draft....

http://www.footytragic.com/blog/2011-phantom-draft/kristians-2011-afl-phantom-draft/

Here's his picks for Richmond:

PICK 15 (RICHMOND) – ELLIOT KAVANAGH

Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 19/05/1993
Recruited from: Western Jets

The Tigers need another class midfielder to compliment Dustin Martin and Trent Cotchin, and I don’t think they’ll pass up the opportunity to draft one of the most talented players in this crop in Elliot Kavanagh. Personally, I think this is a slide. On pure talent, I rate Kavanagh in the top five, and I think if it wasn’t for his injury interrupted season, he’d be drafted around there. You have to dig up games from 2010 to find Kavanagh’s best form, but there was a reason everyone in the industry rated him highly. Kavanagh possesses great speed, awareness and skills, and if his hamstring injuries don’t debilitate him, he’ll turn out to be a very good AFL player.

PICK 26 (RICHMOND) – MARLEY WILLIAMS

Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/07/1993
Recruited from: Claremont Football Club

The Tigers need a skilful half-forward/wingman. Williams fills this hole and he is another one of my favourites from the draft. Williams has a lethal left foot roost, is big bodied, is extremely quick and has a bit of the ‘Jake Kings’ about him. He’s definitely ready to play a role up forward in round one and he could have a serious impact. The thing I love about him is that he is fierce and takes no crap. He is ultra competitive and I think this is a trait Damien Hardwick would love. Don’t be surprised if the Tigers go for Marley on Thursday.

PICK 55 (RICHMOND) – ADDAM MARIC

Height: 176cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 18/04/1990

Recruited from: Melbourne Demons

I think the Tigers will use this pick, and then make another list change in order to obtain a Pre-Season Draft pick to secure John McCarthy. Maric adds to the depth the Tigers are trying to build, and a second club is most likely what he needs to make the most of his AFL career. He has skills to burn, but he lacked application at the Demons. He can play as an outside midfielder, and that’s what the Tigers need. I have a feeling this pick won’t be too popular with the Tiger fans.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »
lol.... Marley Williams = Troy Taylor the 2nd :help we wouldn't dare take the risk!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2011, 12:16:07 AM »
Pass on Addam Maric. Too small and hasn't shown anything at Melbourne to suggest he'll be a better option than say Nahas and Kingy.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »
at least you have a few days to come to terms with it MT ;D

In all seriousness, if he actually has ability and his problem was workrate then that is something an individual can turn around.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI