Author Topic: Changes for the Morwell game  (Read 3296 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Changes for the Morwell game
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:46:35 AM »
What changes should we make for the practice match on Saturday?

In: Stafford, Pettifer, Raines
Out: Schulz (inj),
       Pattison (give him game time at Coburg),
       Cambo (doubt he'll play every practice match).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Changes for the Morwell game
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:33:46 AM »
Don't know, but apparently last year the ground there was really bad (hard) and there were a few injuries so I'd be giving some coburg guys a run  ;D
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Hammerfire

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:12:25 AM »
If the ground is as bad as last year then thats definetly all the old blokes out!

But even if it's better, i think a few guys will get a rest.

In: Pettifer, Raines, Stafford, Archibald

Out: Pattison, Campbell, Richardson, Schultz

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 08:39:57 AM »
I reckon the ground should be OK - they've had a fair bit of rain :thumbsup

In: Meyer, Raines (why didn't he play on Friday night ???), Stafford, Hall

Out: Pattison, Schulz, Bowden (will be rested with his ribs), Cambo
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tigers to get real in Morwell
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 12:55:42 PM »
Tigers to get real in Morwell
10:59:21 AM Wed 23 February, 2005
Tony Greenberg

Richmond will be taking a 22-man squad into this Saturday’s practice match against Essendon at Morwell.The Tigers want to emulate, as close as possible, the conditions they’ll play under during the AFL premiership season, rather than use the trial game purely for experimental purposes.

“I just think that now we’ve got to start to lock into doing things in the manner in which we do them in Round 1,” said Richmond’s coach Terry Wallace.“Even though you can play 6-8 on the interchange bench in practice matches, what that’s actually doing is it’s not giving certain guys enough ground time . . . that’s point one.

“Point two is that it may be giving them an unrealistic view of whether they’re actually in the side or not because they keep playing senior footy until, all of a sudden, we take it back to 22, then they’re out of the side. So, playing 22 gives them a realistic view of where they’re at.

“The other factor is that we need to start working their levels of fitness up as well. I mean, you’ve got guys who need to be able to ‘gut’ out the four quarters, because that’s what they’re going to be doing in Round 1.“If you’re rotating them through the interchange all the time, they’re just not getting the hard yards and the hard work behind them . . .

“We’ll probably take two young boys down (to Morwell) on the trip with us, just in case we get injury problems or that sort of stuff, so that then we’ve got something up our sleeve. But they’ll be told that they’ll be playing the following day with Coburg, and that they’ll just go through the experience of getting warmed up with the boys, and sit on the bench for the day.”

Meanwhile, Wallace was impressed with the form of several Richmond-list players who took part in the Coburg Tigers’ practice match against Williamstown last Friday afternoon and believes they will be pressing hard for senior selection this week.

“Mark Coughlan played really well in his half of football. He goes up to three quarters now . . . whether we decide to make that three quarters at senior level, or at reserve-grade level, remains to be seen,” Wallace said.“Ray Hall had his first hit-out back and although you probably would have suggested that he was still a week or so away, with the injury to Jay Schulz, we’ve got another decision to make on whether we fast-track him or not.

“I thought both Andrew Raines and Kayne Pettifer were probably the two standout players in the game and then you’ve got Greg Stafford, who played three quarters. We’ve got to decide whether we’re going to have a look at him as well . . .”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=186757

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
First change I'll be making is to ditch my shoes and wear moccasins to the game. 8)

Apologies to any posters from Gippsland. :-*

Changes in the team I'd like to see are Morrison and Hall in, both getting a try at CHB.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 06:46:55 PM »
lol

Sheeds might can the game anyway if he thinks the ground isn't up to scratch.

------

Sheedy concern over playing surface
12:56:03 PM Wed 23 February, 2005
Jen Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy is waiting on a report about the condition of the playing surface at Morwell in Gippsland, east of Melbourne, before confirming whether his team will play against Richmond in a Wizard Regional Challenge Series match this Saturday.

It was at Morwell that Hawthorn players Kris Barlow and Steven Greene both sustained serious knee injuries during a practice match played there last season.

While Sheedy supports the idea of practice matches being held in country towns, he says he will not jeopardize the fitness of his players should the ground not meet the standards of the club.

"I know the AFL has had their check up (of the oval), but they don’t run the footy team," Sheedy said, after Wednesday's training session.

"(Essendon football manager) Domenic Cato and (fitness adviser) John Quinn have gone up this morning to check the ground out and make sure that we are happy with it. We'll get a report back in about hours' time whether the conditions of the ground are alright."

"I'm praying (for a good surface), otherwise, we could end up in limbo."

Responding to Sheedy's apprehension regarding the country oval, AFL Media Manager Patrick Keane stressed that the AFL will not risk injuring players with low quality grounds.

"The AFL will not at any stage be compromising the safety of its players in regards to the fields they play on," Keane said.

"The normal procedures for matches played on un-traditional ovals is for the field to have inspections a couple of months before the match, and then in the weeks leading up to the game. The Morwell oval would have been inspected late last week, or early this week."

Despite being comprehensively beaten by a dominant Carlton side last Sunday, Sheedy is optimistic about this week's practice match against a rejuvenated and promising Richmond side.

"It's great that we have games in the country, we naturally would like to promote it as a good game and bring up our best players, best young players, and really put them up there," Sheedy said.

The Bombers will be taking several young players to Morwell, with the big names that were absent from the side last week expected to miss again.

"None of them will go this week, so we will bring up a bit of a mix. We've got to see whether the younger players can put their hand up and play some serious footy," Sheedy said.

"A lot of form at that age has to do with confidence, and self-belief."

"If they want to play league footy, they've got to get up there and play well against the Tigers. The Tigers had a terrific game against Collingwood, and all but won the match really, which is a fantastic effort, and with new coaching staff and new coach, it's going to be a pretty big game."

http://bombersfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=186840

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 04:39:17 AM »
It was reported on Sports Tonight that the bombers gave the Morwell ground the all clear. So game on!

Wonder if Zantuck will line up against us for the first time? 

Life goes on

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 07:00:03 AM »
Zantuck has crook back, will probably miss

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 08:22:09 AM »
Zantuck has crook back, will probably miss

I know how he feels  :rollin :rollin

Though, I am down for a "fitness test" this week ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 08:48:40 AM »
Hubby's with you there WP.  His back and neck are cactus at the moment.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
28 man squad for Morwell
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 05:08:15 PM »
Richmond v Essendon, 2pm, Morwell

Richmond: Darren Gaspar, Brett Deledio, Andrew Raines, Troy Simmonds, Mark Chaffey, Nathan Brown, Tom Roach, Wayne Campbell, Greg Stafford, Matthew Richardson, Trent Knobel, Kayne Pettifer, David Rodan, Ray Hall, Shane Tuck, Daniel Jackson, Jay Schulz, Adam Pattison, Andrew Krakouer, Kane Johnson, Alex Gilmour, Chris Hyde, Greg Tivendale, Brent Hartigan, Mark Graham, Chris Newman, Kyle Archibald, Andrew Kellaway

In: Raines, Stafford, Pettifer, Hall, Archibald, Gilmour
Out: Bowden, Tambling

Why is Sarge named in the squad?!  ???

Essendon: Ricky Dyson, Aaron Henneman, Jobe Watson, Angus Monfries, Jason Winderlich, Mark McVeigh, Damien Peverill, Damien Cupido, Mark Alvey, Kepler Bradley, Paul Thomas, Ted Richards, Tristan Cartledge, Mark Bolton, Brent Stanton, Jason Laycock, Matthew Allan, Justin Murphy, Joel Reynolds, Sam Hunt, Henry Slattery, Ty Zantuck, Marc Bullen, Jay Nash, Ben Haynes, Andrew Lovett, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Dean Rioli

The following week we play Freo in Alice Springs at 7.30pm Friday night, March 4.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 05:32:37 PM »
Why is Sarge named in the squad?! ???

No doubt to see who’s paying attention MT, like they were(n't).
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: 28 man squad for Morwell
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 08:49:31 AM »

The following week we play Freo in Alice Springs at 7.30pm Friday night, March 4.

Will definitely give that one a miss ;D

Though, I can guarantee that the Alice Springs Tiger supporters group will there in forc :thumbsup :cheerse

Offline Hammerfire

• Future Richmond star
Re: 28 man squad for Morwell
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 01:04:24 PM »
Richmond v Essendon, 2pm, Morwell

Richmond: Darren Gaspar, Brett Deledio, Andrew Raines, Troy Simmonds, Mark Chaffey, Nathan Brown, Tom Roach, Wayne Campbell, Greg Stafford, Matthew Richardson, Trent Knobel, Kayne Pettifer, David Rodan, Ray Hall, Shane Tuck, Daniel Jackson, Jay Schulz, Adam Pattison, Andrew Krakouer, Kane Johnson, Alex Gilmour, Chris Hyde, Greg Tivendale, Brent Hartigan, Mark Graham, Chris Newman, Kyle Archibald, Andrew Kellaway

In: Raines, Stafford, Pettifer, Hall, Archibald, Gilmour
Out: Bowden, Tambling

Why is Sarge named in the squad?!  ???

Unless his injured, i think this shows that we won't be seeing much of Morrison this year!