Author Topic: Have you been more angry as a Richmond fan?  (Read 8266 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Have you been more angry as a Richmond fan?
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
Than right now?

I only started walking in the late 80s so 90s were my first experiences as a Tiger supporter.

Early 90s were tough and as a kid was shattered to see Hogg leave. But brought some guns that I idolised ie Brodrick.
Things go better with a peak in 1995 with some good success.
Late 90s started to get ugly but the emergence of Richo we had some great wins and weren't an easy beat without being a great side.

00s saw us start well with Spud took us close in 2001 and weren't good enough to go one with it.
Introduction of Nathan Brown with his brilliance before his leg break was exciting and showed endless promise, until the tragedy.

Since then its never really been that exciting except for some optimism of future success.

So for the last 20 years its never been rosey, but maybe its because I'm older and as a kid I look beyond the embarressment of losing, hidden by my love and awe of a game that I am growing up with.

I missed the 80s so can't comment but if this the most disappointed and angry you've ever been?

- Club has begged for the supporters to chip in $ to help the club.
- Club then sells home games which has ruined our season (Port) and embarrassed an already finished campaign (Gold Coast).
- Club has claimed to be picking players that use the ball well, fail to do so with Edwards and Jackson, yet to be dropped.
- Club claims to playing the kids, yet have had Brad Miller play half the season with Jayden Post in and out of the side.
- Club pump up games and players don't rock up (Carlton FTF)

I heard the late 80s were really tough, I can't imagine it was worse than this.
Go Tigers!

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Re: Have you been more angry as a Richmond fan?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
I find I tend to block out most of it.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Also add the fact the club has preached about a stand alone VFL side and then signed a 3 year deal with Coburg.

I hate to say it but I find myself with less trust of the club as I ever had. Club is lucky we have Gale otherwise I don't know what I'd say on here about it.
Go Tigers!

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
first went to the footy in 1966.
Seen Grand Finals in 67/69 73/74 and 80
From 1983 its been all downhill
poor period for the club late 80,s save our skins etc
Some hope in 1995.
Some hope in 2001.
the club has been going around in circles since 2002/2003.
I dont think it can get worse with the draft conditions we have to contend with.
I am currently real angry with the current state of play.
we have made some really bad decisions in regards to recruits which the club just sweep under the table eg Relton Roberts , Troy Taylor , Robbie Hicks etc etc
We continue to recruit smaller type players etc etc Farmer, Nahas, Webberley, Conca, etc.
we refuse to play bigger bodied players such as Tuck
am over the Club emails ,telephone messages and all the spin, am over it.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
Round 1, 2009 was 5h1tful
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »
all of 2009 was atrocious. half way through the season if the club had folded i would have viewed it as a mercy killing.

as bad as this seems now, it aint like that.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »
we've been through some dark times, im having to detatch myself in order not to curl into a foetal position and begin sucking my thumb. I'm confident we have what it takes to make progress and I am hopeful that when it's all said and done in 2011 that we will imrpove on our current position :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
- Club has begged for the supporters to chip in $ to help the club.
- Club then sells home games which has ruined our season (Port) and embarrassed an already finished campaign (Gold Coast).
- Club has claimed to be picking players that use the ball well, fail to do so with Edwards and Jackson, yet to be dropped.
- Club claims to playing the kids, yet have had Brad Miller play half the season with Jayden Post in and out of the side.

Some good points there Pope. You can throw Grigg into the mix of only picking players who use the ball well. Edwards is comical

I heard the late 80s were really tough, I can't imagine it was worse than this.

I lived it mate and the difference is the club had brownie points back then. We were only 10 years removed from our dynasty and played in a GF in 82
 We supported the club through some bad years coz we'd had so many good ones. I felt like I owed the club to turn up when we were struggling. NOW THE CLUB OWES US.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
Also add the fact the club has preached about a stand alone VFL side and then signed a 3 year deal with Coburg.

I hate to say it but I find myself with less trust of the club as I ever had. Club is lucky we have Gale otherwise I don't know what I'd say on here about it.

With all due respect Pope you seem to be (like everyone else I might add) have only paid attention to part of the Club's speil regarding a stand alone VFL side. Yes they want one but they have been very clear in what was needed re the FTF for this to happen

Firstly the FTF target is $6mil (they currently have $2.6 mil). They clearly gave a list of what the $$$ would go to as it was raised. First principle was without hesitation that half the funds raised would go to retire debt. First non debt item was the reconfiguration of Punt Road Oval to Etihad stadium dimensions. The next non debt area was money for recruitment .. end of story that hasn't changed form day one

Secondly and most importantly the Club made it very clear at the FTF dinner and it was posted on this site by those who attended that for the Club to field its own stand alone VFL team it would need to raise at least $4 to 4.5mil of the $6mil. Unless that happened the club would not be a position to do it...

As it stands right now whether we like it or not they don't have the money to field a own stand alone VFL side - so what do you suggest they do? Go further into debt or not pay off the debt just appease fans who want a VFL side - not very smart I wouldn't have thought and I can just see the outcry on here if they did....

And finally are you seriously that naive to think that any AFL Club who is in aligmment with a VFL club doesn't have an out clause in case circumstances change...

And BTW I find your comment abount Benny gale quite funny - you whack the Club for selling home games which was a Benny decision but then in the next sentence say thank god for Benny  ::) ::) which is it exactly a whack or a good decision by the great man Benny  :rollin I think Benny is doing a very good job but please give the man whack for the selling of ga :thumbsupmes
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
the walls era was the hardest.  :banghead :banghead

we couldve made finals but we didnt.

Walls was an arch enemy from Carlscum. he didnt even want to coach anymore. Bad decision getting him.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
For me and the turning point was Rd 1 2009. That day onwards i decided to still as i always do go to every game, but importantly get over a loss pretty quickly and not take it home with me and out on the mrs. I would be dark for days prior to this game.

I now try go to every game not expecting to win and when it happens i feel good, e.g the essendon game. Yesterday i had a feeling we would lose, hence dropped coin on GC in the 3rd quarter. I know this team like the back of my hand.
We are a mentally weak organisation and all 17 clubs know it.

The club is fighting more than dud players and lack of $$ its fighting a losing culture. Its the same one that denies Stkilda a flag.

Like i said if Gale cant fix it then shut the doors we are doomed.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
I have been angry many times.
2009 was probably the worst. That first half of the year just left me hollow and empty without even having the strength to muster a meaningful response. By the the time Jade took over the season was meaningless and the emptiness hollowness bitterness pain as well as my care factor just dwindled away further and I guess my attitude didn't change until the season was over. For me the whole of 2009 was that lowest ebb I have ever felt and that includes some thumpings since I started to go to the footy as a 7 year old in 1982. That's why losses like yesterday hurt but they may be for the greater good as it means we have to invest in no quick fixes and band aid repairs draft kids to address our needs and build a sise that one day 2, 3 ,4 years from now will threaten to take this competition by force.

I guess as a fan since 1979 and only ever going to 5 finals in 30 years whilst mates who support the Pies, Blues, Bombers, Hawks I am envious and I kind of want to see a Baby Bombers sort of rise up the ladder and see some success quickly as the more I think about the more I feel the rebuild will take longer to take shape rather than sooner and its not so much my patience but I have waited for so long for something with substance, class, aggression, passion with some longevity of course. I know its a few more years but I have seen the club waste opportunity after opportunity and stagnate and Millers words in 2003 still ring in my ears when we were on our one win run in the last 14 games that we were planning on success around 2007.

I actually and honestly feel we may have the people in place ie Brendan and Damien who can make us successful so long as blokes like Craig Cameron and Gary March are out of the picture and I feel the void in our list from years of mismanagement during the previous two admins will make the rebuild all the more important as I feel fans have had enough and I don't want to see us turn into Fitzroy as we all saw how demoralising their demise was b/c we couldn't get it right as once many of us who grew up and saw success or had the Tiggers thrust on us by a relo or friend during the 60's 70's and 80's stop going their won't be many young kids supporting us as we are not successful.

The club owes some success to its fans it has helped the club rebuild from scratch in 1990 and now is digging deep to wipe out a 6 million dollar debt. I just don't want to see us and our support dwindle away into oblivion .

Offline J Buckthorn

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
I cup my own boobs at night. It's the only thing soothing and reassuring that reinforces my self worth

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »
I cup my own boobs at night. It's the thing soothing and reassuring that reinforces my self worth

God I hope you are a woman..... :lol
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »
plenty of times

the 150 point thumping against adelaide in the 90's, i actually tried to ring the club and leave an abusive msg but msg bank was full  :lol

and the other times were the 157pt thumping against the cats in 2007, we didnt try that day and the ben cousins rnd 1 game vs the blues, possible finals tak and 10 mins in our season was shot.

lol we are a skato club