Author Topic: Richmond to train in Arizona with academy Athletes’ Performance [merged]  (Read 22916 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond to train in Arizona with academy Athletes’ Performance [merged]
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2011, 06:29:23 AM »
Pretty sure that is not relton - he knows to drop his pants before taking a dump

But when does Relton wear pants?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
High altitude is only going to do you any good just before the season starts and probably at some stage during the season to get that red blood cell count up.  Doing it early in the preseason is a waste of time, all the benefits will have faded by the time the season starts.  The low oxygen tents can be used to maintain the effect, thats what scumwood do. 
Lots of people name their swords......

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
Pretty sure that is not relton - he knows to drop his pants before taking a dump

But when does Relton wear pants?

When he's full enough not to eat them?

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
High altitude is only going to do you any good just before the season starts and probably at some stage during the season to get that red blood cell count up.  Doing it early in the preseason is a waste of time, all the benefits will have faded by the time the season starts.  The low oxygen tents can be used to maintain the effect, thats what scumwood do.

When I was 17 I found myself in a low oxygen tent following a huge feed up of jd & tang, and a kilo bag of scrogin...

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »

When I was 17 I found myself in a low oxygen tent following a huge feed up of jd & tang, and a kilo bag of scrogin...

:lol

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »
Does anyone on here understand this stuff?

Google tells me the highest peak in Arizona is in the 2,700 vicinity, so only 500 metres higher than Mt Koscuiszko.

Is all this just an expensive wank?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

dwaino

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 11:49:38 PM »
Does anyone on here understand this stuff?

Google tells me the highest peak in Arizona is in the 2,700 vicinity, so only 500 metres higher than Mt Koscuiszko.

Is all this just an expensive wank?

It has been said heaps, but some people are still getting confused or just missing it I think. They're not going over for high altitude training. They're going over to learn an elite high performance training program at a cutting edge facility.

Just tried googling some info and found this one http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-to-train-in-arizona-but-no-altitude/story-e6frf9jf-1226128924334  :cheers

and yeah, the altitude training is just expensive wank unless you've got money to throw around (Collingwood) for an altitude training facility at home. It's a pretty simple bio-mechanism. At higher altitudes there are less oxygen molecules per volume of air. So, obviously that means you take in less oxygen than at sea level every breath you take. What happens is this triggers a hormone to start producing more red blood cells to help put oxygen into muscles and stuff. The effect lasts less than a month (2-3 weeks or something) so there is no point unless you can keep it up. This is also why Kenyan long distance runners are so good for example since they live and train at high altitudes. For a while this effect was mimicked by performance enhancing drugs that were not being picked up by the usual sport performance drug tests which mainly checked for anabolic steroids.

Hope that helps

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »
Thanks, Dwaino.  :thumbsup

In that case this all sounds like a huge waste of cash.

Surely we have similar facilities here and if it is a case of learning programs  then surely we could bring the experts to us, rather than paying for an entire footy team to travel there?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
I was wating for big richos qualified response on this, clearly sports science a genuine strength of his ::)...if it was up to BR we'd spend a week at Skinner reserve, there's been a few developments in this area post the war my friend :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

dwaino

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »
That was my initial impression too, BR. But at work we have armatures and electric motors every where yet we still head to interstate conferences and seminars to learn fancy things going on. If the club was debt free this is the kind of thing they would probably chuck money at even if just once as a kind of experiment. So the fact that they can still afford it without affecting debt management I think is a positive sign. Most of the clubs are doing it at the moment so it could just be a case of keeping up with the Jones's, and I imagine if clubs like Geelong who are staying home stay a step above everyone else then this little adventure will be nothing more than a trial and won't be attempted again. This could also be a reflection on Australian facilities. Maybe it's time the AIS or something set something up so domestic teams don't need to travel for elite level training (whatever the definition of that is). By the sounds of it there could be quite some coin to be made off it.

In Dimma's conferance yesterday he said the boys have been really proactive with their training over the break so this adventure might be more beneficial due to perfect timing as they're all motivated.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »

Surely we have similar facilities here and if it is a case of learning programs  then surely we could bring the experts to us, rather than paying for an entire footy team to travel there?

eff me, TBR.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:31:22 PM by one-eyed »

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »

eff me, TBR.

glad you said it wil. all straight from the clacker too :lol
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:31:42 PM by one-eyed »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
... we'd spend a week at Skinner reserve,

In its day it was a fine footy surface old Skinner Reserve, gone to poo since Sunshine disappeared from the VFA

Used to love going to watch practice matches at Skinner when I was a kid :clapping

Would hop on my bike and peddle from Kingsville .............those were the days  ;D 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:48:23 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
... we'd spend a week at Skinner reserve,

In its dayit was a fine footy surface old Skinner Reserve, gone to poo since Sunshine disappeared from the VFA

Used to love going to watch practice matches at Skinner when I was a kid :clapping

Would hop on my bike and peddle from Kingsville .............those wer ethe days  ;D

yep they were wp, but its 2011 now man not 1984 :o