Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 64521 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
How many people have to die before our politicians get the message.

Finally you say it in the above statement

It is both sides not just one side that needs to get with the program

Tell me then, what can the Government do to stop the boats?

And please don't insult me with the Narau option.

:bow

I will repeat what i have said about this so many times but you fail or refuse to accept my answer.

IMHO It doesn't not matter one iota what the policy is the boats will not be stopped.

It doens't matter which policy it is, which part is in govt it wont stop the boats

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »

I will repeat what i have said about this so many times but you fail or refuse to accept my answer.

IMHO It doesn't not matter one iota what the policy is the boats will not be stopped.

It doens't matter which policy it is, which part is in govt it wont stop the boats

WP

I have just gone back and re-read most of this thread (there's 15 minutes I will never get back again) and you are quite right you have said it before.

But it doesn't matter how many times you say it, it still doesn't make it correct.

There are a lot of people out there saying it will work.

Put the Malaysian solution in place and ship the next 800 arrivals to Malaysia and put them at the back of the queue.

Enter into another agreement with Malaysia and do the same thing again, And don't think Malaysia won't come to the party, the deal is very favourable for them.

The main benefit from my point of view is that if it does work then people will stop dying in leaky rustbuckets trying to get here.

Surely it is at least worth trying.

:bow

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:51 PM »
What queue?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
exactly, there is no queue.

as long as people's countries are ravaged by war and the only way you can apply for asylum is from a different country than your own, people willl take the risk of trying to get to countries where life is not so stuffed up
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
exactly, there is no queue.

as long as people's countries are ravaged by war and the only way you can apply for asylum is from a different country than your own, people willl take the risk of trying to get to countries where life is not so stuffed up
I agree al, until till the root of the problem is addressed, they'll keep arriving on our shores like lemmings. As most of them appear to be Afghan refugees, it is one hell of a task to try and fix that one. The Vietnamese refugee problem of the 70's & 80's only resolved itself once things stabilized in their country and I can't see the Afghan issue resolving itself within the next 15 years as it is such a poo hole over there atm. Even the Yanks are starting to give up fighting the faceless Taliban just like the Russians before them. Not sure if a complete withdrawal of Western troops from Afghanistan will help, but I think it is worth a try especially for those who are fleeing just because of the conflict and not the Taliban regime.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
The government needs to govern, they dont know how to govern and these issues all of them lay at the feet of federal Labor. Its not for the opposition to do the governments bidding, its up to the government to produce the policies that work - up till now Gillard and Labor have been an abysmal failure.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »
The government needs to govern, they dont know how to govern and these issues all of them lay at the feet of federal Labor. Its not for the opposition to do the governments bidding, its up to the government to produce the policies that work - up till now Gillard and Labor have been an abysmal failure.

As has the Malaysia solution.

How many did we take? 5000 of Malaysia's finest, most economically independent, law abiding  ::) . Hand picked by them.

And how many of the 800 that landed in Australia that were swapped actually ended up in Malaysia?

The ALP has NFI.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:40 PM »
Not that I agree with offshore processing but the Malayian solution is to take 4000 confirmed refugees from Malaysia in place of 800 asylum seekers here who may or may not be refugees. That's why it's called offshore processing as the determination of whether someone is an official refugee or not will be done in Malaysia. Official refugees don't need to be locked away in Australian detention camps for months/years and can be placed straight into the community once they arrive.

The problem with Temporary Protection Visas was they disallowed family reunions so it actually encouraged more women and children to risk their lives on the boats. They also existed prior to the Pacific solution. They were brought in 1999 and in the next 3 years 12,000 asylum seekers arrived by boat so they hardly act as a deterrent for boat people.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
At last some sense from the Liberals.

Lib elders put heat on Abbott

Lenore Taylor and Kirsty Needham
December 21, 2011

FORMER immigration minister Philip Ruddock has added to the pressure on Tony Abbott to do a deal with Labor on asylum seekers, saying a compromise could include Labor's preferred option of processing in Malaysia if that country formalised a promise not to return refugees to countries of persecution.

And another former Howard government minister, Alexander Downer, has called for a deal, saying Mr Abbott should let his team of shadow ministers sit down and talk with government ministers to break the political impasse on offshore processing before Christmas.

''The public want the government to do something about this, when you see those people drowning - it's heart-wrenching stuff,'' Mr Downer said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/lib-elders-put-heat-on-abbott-20111220-1p40w.html#ixzz1h6VuPgKf

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Seem's like ALP hate and don't respect the UN anymore.
First it was the uranium trading with a non signature of the non proliferation treaty and now they want to send women and children to Malaysia risking the UN Refugee Convention we signed. Even the liberals have stated the Malaysia solution is to harsh and has gone to far.  No wonder the party is leaking votes to the greens.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
First it was the uranium trading with a non signature of the non proliferation treaty and now they want to send women and children to Malaysia risking the UN Refugee Convention we signed. Even the liberals have stated the Malaysia solution is to harsh and has gone to far.  No wonder the party is leaking votes to the greens.

So, I gather you're happy to have people die in leaky boats trying to get to Austarlia?

and don't talk about Narau as a solution.

In the end 95% of people sent to Harau ended up in Austarlia or NZ.

This will not stop the boats.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
What is the solution 65?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »

So, I gather you're happy to have people die in leaky boats trying to get to Austarlia?

and don't talk about Narau as a solution.

In the end 95% of people sent to Harau ended up in Austarlia or NZ.

This will not stop the boats.

1965 claiming people are happy to see deaths because they don't agree with your policy only weakens your argument and makes you look pathetic.

The Pacific solution is a proven solution it worked the number of boats reduced. Less people was risking their lives. But ever since Rudd scraped it more boats starting to come. It was a mistake to scrap it even you must admit that 1965. ALP have no one else besides them selves to blame for bringing this back up as a national issue. It would be politically smart for ALP to accept Abbott's offer and reopen Nauru if boats keep coming then it shows it won't work and liberals are shut down but Gillard is to dumb to do that even Bowen tried to tell her to do it.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
What is the solution 65?

To blame Abbott and claim anyone whoever disagrees are happy to see people die in leaky boats.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
What is the solution 65?

Good luck with that one Cho. If it hasn't already been said by someone else, you won't hear it from 65.