Author Topic: Who will we chase now to assist Hardwick?  (Read 15420 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Who will we chase now to assist Hardwick?
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »
My point about Development coaches is they have the most contact with young players on the fringe. Surely their input is most important when deciding who to delist/trade?
As said I presume their input to List reviews was completed before their dismissal was announced on September 15.

The thing that worries me is we removed coaches without replacements being lined up. Note that Hawthorn took five days to replace Smith with Beveridge.
“Luke’s been on our radar since last year and we’re pleased he’s chosen to take up this opportunity with the Hawks despite having received other offers,” Clarkson said.
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/124561/default.aspx

AFL have ruled that minimum Footy staff is 28. 2011 we had 25, out Newett + Clarke, in Smith. Campbell out of contract. 
Page 9 below. Note that the AFL money is dependant on reaching these minimums.
http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2011/finals/club_funding_presentation_260911.pdf

I am not happy that Cameron (and the Board) have not brought "best practices in sports science and elite conditioning" judging on their record since 2008.
Note that we have only added a weights coach to our fitness staff since 2008.
Only since Gale and Hardwick have these "best practices" even been recognised publicly at Richmond.

I don't care about Bailey at all in terms of what we need but thought Craig could be an agent of change at Punt Road in the sports science "arms race" in AFL.

That's pretty reasonable Redan and cheers for the link. I too don't think they have done enough, March and Cameron are peanuts, but how do you determine what they want/wanted to do and what they can/could afford to do?

They brought in the weights coach and Blair Hartley, Matt Hornsby has been responsible for getting Athlete's Performance on board. Slowly moving in the right direction but it's no secret we can't compete with others. No surprises Craig took the cash.

I'll be effing peed if they don't have anyone in line for the development roles - Tim Clarke wasn't let go, he moved o/s, but there should be a replacement for Newitt lined up, plus the two new guys they said were coming on board.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2011, 12:09:58 AM »

...agree too that perhaps as far as sports science goes we could look at plenty of "outsiders" who may not have recently been coaching but have the smarts in this area...afterall it should be the best person for the job, with the best skillset to assist not the biggest name available...

Agreed that we could look at "outsiders" and note that Misson and Bath (Hawthorn) are both from AIS.
The point is that there is NO indication Richmond are looking for staff in sports science, to the contrary in Craig's case.

Gerks, Hartley was bought in by Hardwick as a member of his coaching panel. As "Opposition and List Analyst" he was reporting to Dimma. It's only been his results that have dragged him into areas of free agency and trading. I also have a feeling that Gale has given him more and more responsibility eg writing the Free Agency policy. I would personally like him to be made List Manager and get someone like David Lloyd as an extra recruiter doing mature age scouting.

Offline tiger4life

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2011, 12:53:06 AM »
I have a feeling once St Kilda are done naming there coach the club will go after the ones who missed out, the one I really want is Scott Watters, a lot of people attribute Collingscums defensive press to Watters saying he was pretty much the master mind behind the whole thing.

Maybe bring back Knighta and bring in a successful coach/es from the VFL for the development roles.

gerkin greg

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »
Gerks, Hartley was bought in by Hardwick as a member of his coaching panel. As "Opposition and List Analyst" he was reporting to Dimma. It's only been his results that have dragged him into areas of free agency and trading. I also have a feeling that Gale has given him more and more responsibility eg writing the Free Agency policy. I would personally like him to be made List Manager and get someone like David Lloyd as an extra recruiter doing mature age scouting.

Was he??? I thought he was reporting to Cameron. I think he's a bloody good operator, Hartley.

I just hope Gale can see that Cameron is a plank and will replace him at the end of his contract.

Didn't they also put on some more recruiters? Or make some full time?

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Hartley very good operator. Got the Sarge to Port ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »

Was he??? I thought he was reporting to Cameron. I think he's a bloody good operator, Hartley.

I just hope Gale can see that Cameron is a plank and will replace him at the end of his contract.

Didn't they also put on some more recruiters? Or make some full time?

Yep. We went from 0 to 1 for 3 drafts and then 1 to 3 for the last 2.

gerkin greg

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »

Give him a pay rise

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »

Give him a pay rise

eff you. he'll be back one day. you'll see

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »

Give him a pay rise

eff you. he'll be back one day. you'll see

It defiantly wont be in a Legends match   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »
one of the best tall forwards in the comp champ. just wait.

you're all duds. back on topic!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:27:59 PM by one-eyed »

gerkin greg

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
andrew krakouer kicked more goals

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »
than who? shulter? he was injured for half the year and played in one of the worst teams I have ever seen. They wouldn't be our duds of the decade ;D

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

And gave up Farmer (on 3 year contract) and pick 71 (Nason) while we subsidised Schulz's wage for his first year.  ;D

BTW Gerks forgot to go into Athletes Performance deal. I don't get too carried away with the spin. We bought a package from a business that hired ME Bank centre for a conference.
Same deal as the Bulldogs in 2008.  "Alliance" - conference - Arizona trip.

Since the players are paying airfares it won't be too expensive for the club. At the least it will be a good bonding experience similar to the New Zealand trip last year.

Might be an idea if staff members (Gale, coaches, fitness) get Ben Graham to set up a couple of days at Arizona Cardinals Training Base.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »
Since the players are paying airfares it

Not the case.