Author Topic: Who will we chase now to assist Hardwick?  (Read 17272 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: Who will we chase now to assist Hardwick?
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
How many positions do clubs need to freakin invent  :banghead
Save the money and poach some superstars, that will more than likely get the job done!

Please dont be sensible. We cant have logic and sense come into these matters. Stuff the supporters lets just employ peoples mates.

gerkin greg

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »
Bailey went to Adelaide since they were prepared to spend on their footy department.
Craig went to Melbourne for the same reason.
"I am convinced through my dialogue with Cameron Schwab, Garry Lyon and the board, that the Melbourne Football Club is serious about becoming a high performance football club."

"ego, cash, who knows". Maybe they wanted to work with a club prepared to spend on footy as stated by both.
Nothing to do with the club as we lost out on two former senior coaches but got an assistant from Hawthorn.  :banghead

BTW Why are we looking for senior assistants? We don't need to fill the roles that Bailey and Craig now have but do need senior assistants?

LMFAO
Craig went to Melbourne because he didn't want the position under Hardwick, same with Bails - fair enough, too much ego to swallow for a sacked coach to take a step backwards
And Bails was taking a whack at the Dees for not spending money on their football department in his time there, not at Richmond
But i can see how adding extra staff to the football department, resurfacing punt road, sending players to arizona etc. would make you and them think we are not prepared to spend on footy  :wallywink

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
How many positions do clubs need to freakin invent  :banghead
Save the money and poach some superstars, that will more than likely get the job done!

Please dont be sensible. We cant have logic and sense come into these matters. Stuff the supporters lets just employ peoples mates.
THats soccer lol  Signing your son up even though he is a washout for example LOL unbelievable.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »

But i can see how adding extra staff to the football department, resurfacing punt road, sending players to arizona etc. would make you and them think we are not prepared to spend on footy  :wallywink

Extra staff? We are currently four short of minimum AFL requirements. NO development coaches coming into trade/draft period. Presumably they completed their List reviews before leaving.
Resurfacing PRO? $1m+ to bring our training ground up to AFL standard. Hopefully to be done in 2012 according to Gale's letter.
Arizona? No high altitude, may as well go to Victoria University like the Bulldogs have after Arizona in 2008. ATM Carlton, Collingwood, St Kilda and Bulldogs have altitude simulation rooms.

The board have been asleep at the wheel for years and the GM of Footy is totally out of his depth.

"It was clear to us that we needed the head of football to drive change, not the board or the CEO, and we felt the type of skills we needed in bringing best practices in sports science and elite conditioning and all of those different areas across different divisions needed to come from the head person, and we didn't think Greg was suitable for that role. He is a good football person but not the man for that job."  Gary March  quoted on 2/8/08
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/marching-to-a-different-beat/2008/08/01/1217097534935.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »

Extra staff? We are currently four short of minimum AFL requirements. NO development coaches coming into trade/draft period. Presumably they completed their List reviews before leaving.
Resurfacing PRO? $1m+ to bring our training ground up to AFL standard. Hopefully to be done in 2012 according to Gale's letter.
Arizona? No high altitude, may as well go to Victoria University like the Bulldogs have after Arizona in 2008. ATM Carlton, Collingwood, St Kilda and Bulldogs have altitude simulation rooms.

Development coaches arent really needed in trade/draft period, they're needed once the players are here. Footy Manager, Recruitment/List Manager's are the people needed during that period. And we are currently interviewing for a few coaching positions with-in the footy department.

We're not doing altitude training you are correct.

gerkin greg

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »

The development staff will be put on. The club has stated we will have 4 this year. 2 more than last year. And if they don't then i'll start frothing with you. Not sure what they have to do with the draft or trade period. They have no input.

Ross Smith has been added to the coaching staff and obvioulsy another assistant is being sought out. 2 more than last year.

That's the club spending money - or prepared to spend - on the footy dept - adding 4 new staff. Yeah? No?

(Can you link me to the AFL minimum requirements for the footy dept., cheers)

Resurfacing PRO? $1m+ to bring our training ground up to AFL standard. Hopefully to be done in 2012 according to Gale's letter. Arizona? No high altitude, may as well go to Victoria University like the Bulldogs have after Arizona in 2008. ATM Carlton, Collingwood, St Kilda and Bulldogs have altitude simulation rooms.

So you are just not happy with how the money is being spent? There must be some benefit of travelling to Phoenix to work with Athlete's Performance despite not being high wank altitude wank wank? Sure sounds like they are prepared to spend money, however misdirected it may be perceived by some, like peeing money up against a wall buildng altitude chambers.

The board have been asleep at the wheel for years and the GM of Footy is totally out of his depth.

Agree. Don't have to search to far to find a post of mine stating my opinions of Cameron & March.

Not sure what any of that has to do with Bailey and Craig turning down senior assistant roles for higher paid and more overarching roles at other clubs.

Nice rant though  :thumbsup

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
The development staff will be put on. The club has stated we will have 4 this year. 2 more than last year. And if they don't then i'll start frothing with you. Not sure what they have to do with the draft or trade period. They have no input.

Ross Smith has been added to the coaching staff and obvioulsy another assistant is being sought out. 2 more than last year.
That's the club spending money - or prepared to spend - on the footy dept - adding 4 new staff. Yeah? No?

So you are just not happy with how the money is being spent? There must be some benefit of travelling to Phoenix to work with Athlete's Performance despite not being high wank altitude wank wank? Sure sounds like they are prepared to spend money, however misdirected it may be perceived by some, like peeing money up against a wall buildng altitude chambers.

Not sure what any of that has to do with Bailey and Craig turning down senior assistant roles for higher paid and more overarching roles at other clubs.

My point about Development coaches is they have the most contact with young players on the fringe. Surely their input is most important when deciding who to delist/trade?
As said I presume their input to List reviews was completed before their dismissal was announced on September 15.

The thing that worries me is we removed coaches without replacements being lined up. Note that Hawthorn took five days to replace Smith with Beveridge.
“Luke’s been on our radar since last year and we’re pleased he’s chosen to take up this opportunity with the Hawks despite having received other offers,” Clarkson said.
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/124561/default.aspx

AFL have ruled that minimum Footy staff is 28. 2011 we had 25, out Newett + Clarke, in Smith. Campbell out of contract. 
Page 9 below. Note that the AFL money is dependant on reaching these minimums.
http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2011/finals/club_funding_presentation_260911.pdf

I am not happy that Cameron (and the Board) have not brought "best practices in sports science and elite conditioning" judging on their record since 2008.
Note that we have only added a weights coach to our fitness staff since 2008.
Only since Gale and Hardwick have these "best practices" even been recognised publicly at Richmond.

I don't care about Bailey at all in terms of what we need but thought Craig could be an agent of change at Punt Road in the sports science "arms race" in AFL. 

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
He is hardly the only bloke with a sports science background, in fact, someone with more recent qualifications might be a bit more up to date since his time back when Joe weider was lifting cannon balls for a workout.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
From a development stand what about someone like Brett Kirk
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
Or a recently retired Cameron Ling?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »
Or a recently retired Cameron Ling?

Heard him on 3AW tonight - not likely. Said he was a Geelong person and hinted towards a media gig
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »
heard channel seven have already gobbled Ling up

Offline tigtuff12

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:55 PM »
From a development stand what about someone like Brett Kirk

^ massive wraps on him and would be stoked to get someone of his quality/character - not sure of his intentions or desires to get involved going forward...any thoughts or has he mentioned anything about a want to get into "coaching"?  seems it'd be hard to get him away from the "blood's culture"...

have also hear folks speak glowingly of Nathan Basset - he might be looking to move into an assistant role to further develop himself since he was mentioned in early talk for the crows job

and there was a strong push to get Knighta back onboard in a development role (would also fill the void of an assistant with previous coaching experience)...

...agree too that perhaps as far as sports science goes we could look at plenty of "outsiders" who may not have recently been coaching but have the smarts in this area...afterall it should be the best person for the job, with the best skillset to assist not the biggest name available...

...my $2bob...
...the fighting fury...

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »

As the new face of Raspberry Paddlepops?

Speaking of which, rumor is fact that Relton Roberts has signed as the mouthpiece for Campbells Cash n Carry, for an unlimited supply of kFC.

If it's Soooooo Relton, it must be Sooooooo good

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »

As the new face of Raspberry Paddlepops?

Speaking of which, rumor is fact that Relton Roberts has signed as the mouthpiece for Campbells Cash n Carry, for an unlimited supply of kFC.

If it's Soooooo Relton, it must be Sooooooo good

:bow :bow :bow Were not worthy  ;D ;D I gunna call you Hughesy from now on.... :P :P :lol :lol