Author Topic: RFC Fan Forum Night - Tues, Oct 18  (Read 16960 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: RFC Fan Forum Night - Tues, Oct 18
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
did they do any consumer reaction research?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »

Does reading all the fan sites count al?  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
Would it be too controversial to ask about the assistant coaching assignments, MT?
Nothing about the football dept. was discussed sorry Muscles.

As I arrived I saw Craig Cameron making a hasty exit out of the car park must have known MT was in the building  :rollin :rollin
:lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »

Does reading all the fan sites count al?  ;D
And claiming a net positive response to the logo  :o  :huh

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
i find that strange. Here and BF, from what i've read is largely a negative reaction.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »
i find that strange. Here and BF, from what i've read is largely a negative reaction.

Well I answered that question. I said overall net result as positive, but there was a loud minority of people who didnt like it.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »

Well I answered that question. I said overall net result as positive, but there was a loud minority of people who didnt like it.

I have to admit Mr RFC_O I was surprised by that answer, I really thought the net result appeared more negative (I've only read here & BF btw) but fair enough

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »
We were told to keep things hush-hush until tomorrow all will be revealed publicly tomorrow morning at 6am in an email to all members which will link to the logo and a video about it.

So much for hush hush! :lol

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »

I have to admit Mr RFC_O I was surprised by that answer, I really thought the net result appeared more negative (I've only read here & BF btw) but fair enough

As I said, loud minority, you always remember the negative stuff over the positive or the "meh" people and we expected that.

We actually had a lot of people contacting us saying they liked it over last few months after it leaked.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
As I said, loud minority, you always remember the negative stuff over the positive or the "meh" people and we expected that.

We actually had a lot of people contacting us saying they liked it over last few months after it leaked.

As I said fair enough, I suppose part of it relates to all my Tiger mates (and these are people who don't post on the net) who have seen it have said they aren't too keen on it.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
We were told to keep things hush-hush until tomorrow all will be revealed publicly tomorrow morning at 6am in an email to all members which will link to the logo and a video about it.

So much for hush hush! :lol

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I dutifully didn't post anything that was said tonight as requested. Yet here we all are, including the Richmond official who requested it :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »
Well seeing it's been leaked to the Hun and posted publicly by Jon Ralph earlier tonight ::), it's all out in the open now which it was basically anyway as a very close version was released by IP Australia. The difference to that logo is some the white has been reduced and the word 'Richmond' in large text followed underneath by 'Est 1885' placed underneath the logo. Something like this using the IP Australia one:

Richmond
         Est 1885

Simon Dericks took us through a powerpoint presentation of how they got to coming up with that final logo.

Firstly they felt there was a need for change from our current (now old) logo that was created way back in 1993. Firstly we are heading into a new era after the past two years of transition of the whole club and secondly the current logo isn't apparell friendly as it's very detailed which make sewning it on hats etc difficult. It was commented that having only the tiger head in the current logo didn't send the message of club moving forward - having only a head gave the impression it was a stuffed trophy tiger head on a wall and that the tiger looked down not up.

The marketing dept. went to the board about a year ago about the idea to have a new logo and the Board gave the amber light to look into it.

The process to come up with the new logo took 3 stages - 1. The Tiger, 2. Style and 3. Basically putting it all together.

1) The Tiger

This was basically finding a whole bunch of different pics of Tigers and comparing the traits of the Tiger - they hunt, chase, roar and have pride - with those that coincide with the values of the Club put forward a year or two ago when Benny and Dimma came on board - Proud, Relentless, United, Leadership. The two that coincided the most were pride (being proud) and being relentless. Incorporating the bold chest as well as the head is part of demonstrating our pride.

2) Style

Next was decided what colours, fonts, style (overall look around the Tiger - whether to have a shield, circle, etc surrounding it) and whether to go with a more modern logo or a traditional one. All up the logo had to be suitable not only on its own but also as part of letterheads, apparell, membership items (stickers, cards), etc.

Colour - chose a uniform yellow for the club, logo, jumper, etc. It was argued that white is just as much part of our jumper as yellow and black although they did take on board comments on the forums about there being too much white which they fiddled with from the logo on the IP Australia website. The comment was made that the current logo also has white in it. As an aside red is also a secondary colour as the Tiger tongue is red.

Font - They went with a more plain font rather than a fancy one. Next was whether we wanted to be known as Tigers only, Richmond only, Richmond in larger font than Tigers or vice versa and finally Richmond and Tigers in the same size font (which the current logo has). In the end they went with Richmond in large font and 'Est 1885' in smaller font to remind everyone we have been around for 126 years as a traditional club.

Style - They looked at Tiger logos around the world in sport and in the corporate world. They lined up these logos from the modern American cartoonish ones to the more traditional ones.

According to the club:
Modern logos - Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North, Sydney, West Coast, Western Bulldogs
Traditional logos - Carlton, Collingwood, Melbourne, St Kilda, Port and our current logo.

The Club considered us a traditional club with a rich history so wanted a new logo that would fit somewhere between modern and tradtional erring closer to a traditional logo.

The also listed a row of Tiger logos from cartoonish (LSU) through to a more traditional detailed Tiger logo. They had the new logo in the middle of about 9 logos.

3) Putting it altogether & Branding

When putting it all together they wanted to decide what symbols define us as a club such as the Tiger, the sash, etc. Simon mentioned about the new Melbourne logo incorporating 5 symbols so it's very detailed which speaking to Melbourne's marketing dept. made things difficult with putting it on club apparell. Simon showed us two logos they came up with for comparison - the new one and one with the same new tiger head on a yellow sash in a shield. If you don't like the new logo I can tell you this other logo looked worse lol.

The last part of the presentation was showing us images of what the new logo looked like on guernseys, shirts, stickers, membership cards, bags and even on a tram (which surprisingly looked very good).

There's also a full tiger body that goes with the logo head and chest which the club will also use (on bags for example).

They then finished off with video which will be release tomorrow morning which is more a drumming up support video - they have Newy, Benny Gale and Dimma talking about the club, it's history, it's great players (Dyer, Hart, Bourke, KB and Richo), the new era with highlights of Cotch, Lids, Dusty and Jack and finally a short cartoon of a tiger in the grass morphing into the new logo and roaring.

That's what I can remember. Any questions fire away.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »
sensational MT, thanks very much

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »
Wow MT, can't believe you remembered all that!!
Top write up mate :thumbsup :thumbsup

I don't mind the logo but would have loved to have seen the writing on or over the actual logo rather than below it......

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 10:46:29 PM »

As I said fair enough, I suppose part of it relates to all my Tiger mates (and these are people who don't post on the net) who have seen it have said they aren't too keen on it.
yet out of 65 people who voted in a BF poll, 41 said they did not like it?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=26802

God, i never thought i would be referring to a BF poll for anything. :P