Author Topic: Captain to be announced at 2.30pm  (Read 8047 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Captain to be announced at 2.30pm
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 04:52:30 PM »
how pathetic was it by sen to cut him off the way they did! no respect and no organisation1 they should have been better prepared and at least have him come back after the break to finish what he had to say. then he have to listen to that fat behind neil balme talk crap about the skunks!

There was a bit of sucking up towards Wallace after the break. They could have waited til Terry had finished what he had to say. 30 seconds wasn't going to kill them. They asked him the question then cut him off in the middle of answering it  ???  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 05:59:15 PM »
Would have preferred Bowden, but happy with Johnston.
Don't know what Brown's done to deserve the vice captaincy ahead of the other two.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 06:20:44 PM »
Forgot to say Johnno mentioned in passing being captain for the next 12 months or 2 years.

Yes, and by 2 years Coughlan should be ready, if the injuries are kept at bay.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2005, 06:35:23 PM »
Well done to him and just reward for having put three really solid and consistent seasons together, unlike Richo or Bowden. Well done to Brown getting the VC as well.

2 or 3 years as captain seems to be about right.

he has only been here 2 years not 3! joel 10, and pretty nuch has been a solid performer with many bad coaches during that time,
i felt at the press conference joel seemed really down, i hope it does not affext his season as he was by far our best player last year.

he was my fav choice, well spoken, intelligent and good blood lines, but saying that i willl respect the decision made and support sugar, but i would reassess after this year. would not guarantee terms and conditions.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2005, 06:59:09 PM »
Don't know what Brown's done to deserve the vice captaincy ahead of the other two.

Got Wallace to Tigerland lol  ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 07:03:52 PM »
but i would reassess after this year. would not guarantee terms and conditions.

That should be the case no matter who's captain. From the interview I'd reckon Johnno knows nothing is guaranteed.   

letsgetiton!

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 07:18:52 PM »

Got Wallace to Tigerland lol  ;)

so true!

froars

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
Just a reminder that Wallace has taken us to one loss so far  :shh

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 07:28:48 PM »

From the outside consultants point of view (those employed by the club) Brown was probably the best, I know, I thought he was the best candidate in the beginning,( I am a Business, Management Consultant myself so I know a fair bit about how these guys think) Brown has a hell of alot going for him, he's an excellent player, he's very well known, he's a great communicator, he has media presences. He would have had about 80% of the criteria to be captain but the last quarter against the Pies in the wizard cup being televised to thousands would have hurt his aspirations a great deal, he didn't stand up in a crunch time, he went missing when we should have won that game from the position we were in and he was caught on film getting a mouthful from Wallace. Wallace to his credit, took note, didn't play favourites, looked at that performance realistically and acted accordingly :thumbsup No doubt Brown would have been Wallace's pick for the captaincy before this game.

Being at a club one year, two years or ten years isn't a valid criteria. Ability in the key areas of performance as a leader is all that matters and Brown has these in spades. Kane has alot of them too but his weak point is the media and it is one of Browns strengths. In the end as far as captaincy goes what really matters is what happens on the ground during the game and Brown shot himself in the foot and Kane didn't and that's what REALLY matters.

Brown was the logical choice as Vice Captain because he can compensate for the deficiencies of Kane off the field in Media work, he is constantly in the medias eye and he can represent the Richmond Football Club as its Vice Captain in these capacities.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

froars

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 07:33:02 PM »
Brown seems like a professional player and we need a few like that.
Just disappointed for Richo and Bowden in particular.  He has good presence as well, and if you've ever heard him speak, he speaks from the heart and very well.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 07:51:02 PM »

From the outside consultants point of view (those employed by the club) Brown was probably the best, I know, I thought he was the best candidate in the beginning,( I am a Business, Management Consultant myself so I know a fair bit about how these guys think) Brown has a hell of alot going for him, he's an excellent player, he's very well known, he's a great communicator, he has media presences. He would have had about 80% of the criteria to be captain but the last quarter against the Pies in the wizard cup being televised to thousands would have hurt his aspirations a great deal, he didn't stand up in a crunch time, he went missing when we should have won that game from the position we were in and he was caught on film getting a mouthful from Wallace. Wallace to his credit, took note, didn't play favourites, looked at that performance realistically and acted accordingly :thumbsup No doubt Brown would have been Wallace's pick for the captaincy before this game.

Being at a club one year, two years or ten years isn't a valid criteria. Ability in the key areas of performance as a leader is all that matters and Brown has these in spades. Kane has alot of them too but his weak point is the media and it is one of Browns strengths. In the end as far as captaincy goes what really matters is what happens on the ground during the game and Brown shot himself in the foot and Kane didn't and that's what REALLY matters.

Brown was the logical choice as Vice Captain because he can compensate for the deficiencies of Kane off the field in Media work, he is constantly in the medias eye and he can represent the Richmond Football Club as its Vice Captain in these capacities.

I know and understand what u r saying and are coming from, im a business man too, but i dont think one quarter of footy in a wiz cup cost brown th ecaptaincy. if u put itthat way i can point many quarters and games where kane has gone missing, and in that wiz game in the 1st half esp, kane hardly hit a target.

also about that game, brown missed most of the previous practice matches through injury , thus his fitness was down and tw put hm in th forward pocket in that last q which went 10 minutes overtime! the ball rarely got to him, but it was his magic and class which helped us get so far in front , not kanes!

also a pont to note , joel was captain that night and played the game out with fractured intercostals! kane would have most likely stayed on the bench.

brown , and joel were better candidates but tw could not appoint brown, would make him look lik ehe picks favs

could not pick richo as his mind is weak

and to change the clubs culture and start fresh , joel unfortunately missed out.

this left kane , and the one only reason tw picked kane was because he has tasted the ultimate prize and knows what it takes to get there.

give him 1, 2 years max, then we will have cogs, jackson, hartigan, hyde and deledio fighting 4 the gig! what a future we have!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2005, 08:01:35 PM »

thanx bud!
How did you know his first name? ;D

Kane's only been at the club 2 years JohnF. They've been 2 solid years but I still favoured Joel. I'm sure him being my favourite player didn't sway me. ;)
Congratulations to Kane and good luck. I can see that a part of changing the unsuccessful culture is to make decisions like this.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2005, 08:43:05 PM »
Well done to him and just reward for having put three really solid and consistent seasons together, unlike Richo or Bowden. Well done to Brown getting the VC as well.

he has only been here 2 years not 3! joel 10, and pretty nuch has been a solid performer with many bad coaches during that time,
i felt at the press conference joel seemed really down, i hope it does not affext his season as he was by far our best player last year.

he was my fav choice, well spoken, intelligent and good blood lines, but saying that i willl respect the decision made and support sugar, but i would reassess after this year. would not guarantee terms and conditions.

I know he's been here for two years but he had a good year in his final year at adelaide plus two good good years for us, hence 3 years of consecutive good football.

Joel has had a few good years at the club, 2001 and 2004 being the best but he has been disappointing for quite a few years as well.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 08:51:59 PM »

I know he's been here for two years but he had a good year in his final year at adelaide plus two good good years for us, hence 3 years of consecutive good football.

Joel has had a few good years at the club, 2001 and 2004 being the best but he has been disappointing for quite a few years as well.
joel did have a severe shoulder reco, which took him a while to recover from, he cant be blamed for that

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2005, 08:57:42 PM »

Statistically this is what Brown has done.

2001 : 22 games, 32 goals, 21 touches per game
2002 : 22 games, 57 goals, 18 touches per game
2003 : 22 games, 56 goals, 15 touches per game
2004 : 20 games, 26 goals, 23 touches per game

4 years of very good footy IMO back to back