Author Topic: Captain to be announced at 2.30pm  (Read 7995 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Captain to be announced at 2.30pm
« on: March 15, 2005, 12:20:49 PM »
The Tigers will hold a press conference at 2.30pm today to announce the 2005 Captain
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

Re: Captain to be announced at 2.30pm
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 12:24:47 PM »
i think most of us know but on the weekend a reliable source told me that kane will have a memorable bday today, he has the captaincy signed sealed and delivered!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 12:28:01 PM by letsgetiton! »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:05:23 PM »
i think most of us know but on the weekend a reliable source told me that kane will have a memorable bday today, he has the captaincy signed sealed and delivered!

That's the vibe I am getting too ;)

Welcome to OER letsgetiton!
 :cheers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 01:07:53 PM »
thanx wp! i hope i can be of value with my contributions to this site

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 02:14:55 PM »
lmfao! Imagine Richo gets it.  :rollin  :rollin

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 02:35:30 PM »
its official kane has it

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Johnson to lead Tigers
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 03:05:02 PM »
Johnson to lead Tigers
2:30:14 PM Tue 15 March, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Kane Johnson was handed the ultimate birthday gift on Tuesday after being named the new Richmond captain.

On the day he celebrated his 27th birthday, the dual Adelaide premiership player also celebrated becoming the Tigers' new on-field leader at the start of only his third season with the club.

Johnson beat reigning best and fairest winner Joel Bowden as well as Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown in the race to replace Wayne Campbell as Richmond skipper.

And it's clear he will have the support of the players, who had a major hand in the decision after all the Tigers' players were asked to list their preferred captain from one to four in a secret ballot.

All four players captained the Tigers in one game during the pre-season, and it's believed Johnson was the clear top pick to take over as captain by the players.

Johnson, a lifelong Richmond supporter who even admitted to closely following the Tigers' results while he was starring in Adelaide's 1997 and 1998 premiership wins, has played 143 matches since debuting in 1996.

And while only 39 of those matches have been in the yellow and black, the tough midfielder has already made a big impression in his short time at Punt Road after finishing runner-up in the best and fairest in both his seasons at Richmond to date.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=190166

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 03:23:47 PM »
Congrats to Kane. Well deserved  :) :birthday. Now just have to get use to him wearing No. 17.

Any news on the VC(s)? Would think Joel would be a good deputy.

btw welcome aboard OER letsgetiton  :).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »
Congrats to Kane. Well deserved  :) :birthday. Now just have to get use to him wearing No. 17.

Any news on the VC(s)? Would think Joel would be a good deputy.

btw welcome aboard OER letsgetiton  :).

thanx bud!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Sugar on SEN
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
* Great to now captain the club he supported as a kid.
* VC (Browny) and two deputies (Richo, Joel)
* Responsibility to the kids to lead the way and not let them get into bad habits. Added our kids are excellent and it doesn't look like they will fall into bad habits.
* A bit of surprised after only 39 games but after Cambo he realised pretty early on after coming to Tigerland there wasn't much behind Wayne.
* Played under 3 captains - Bickley, Riccuito, Cambo. Said Cambo taught him the most - great nouse for the game.
* Lead the boys the way we want to play with a bit of flair. An extension of Plough on the field. He's laid down the law before so nothing new there if it needs to be done.
* Was very realistic about our preseason (some opponents were reserves side). Said the good thing was we got to play Terry wants us to play.
* Family Day - 2 x 30min quarters.
* Confident we'll be competitive against the Cats
* Cambo handed over 17 to Johnno at the press conference. Very honoured to wear Jack Dyer's number.

Wallace on SEN after 4pm news.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 04:02:21 PM »
Safe choice, but not the most inspired one IMO. I think Kane will be a good ordinary captain.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »
Forgot to say Johnno mentioned in passing being captain for the next 12 months or 2 years.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wallace on SEN
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 04:32:35 PM »
* Wanted to see the 4 guys in action so always planned to wait til the end of Wiz Cup to make decision.
* Johnno told an hour before becoming public (Wallace didn't trust it being kept secret knowing the media). Playing group told 30mins before.
* Other 3 took it well. All were promoted in some way - Browny to VC and Joel and Richo back into the leadership group as deputies.
* Had a player vote. Also got an outside firm (Medal? group) to cement what things we were looking form in terms of leadership characteristics. Came down to 22 leadership areas - responsibility assertiveness responsiveness etc
*  Kane can be rely upon, leads by example, best trainer, crosses i's and t's. Thing he needed to improve on is in the media- good at it but has never had to do it.
* Not taking much notice of preseason form in regards to the Cats (Went up to watch Geelong). Wallace also realistic of our games - Bombers, Freo reserves. Real stuff will determine how much we've improved.   
* Main goals (1) to be supercompetitive this year. We weren't last year. Similar to Carlton. (2) We're young so we'd expect to get better with every game.

SEN boys then cut off Wallace to go to an ad  ::)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 04:42:01 PM »
how pathetic was it by sen to cut him off the way they did! no respect and no organisation1 they should have been better prepared and at least have him come back after the break to finish what he had to say. then he have to listen to that fat arse neil balme talk crap about the skunks!

as if we give a toss josh fraser has a cartilage injury and is out for 8 weeks

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
Well done to him and just reward for having put three really solid and consistent seasons together, unlike Richo or Bowden. Well done to Brown getting the VC as well.

2 or 3 years as captain seems to be about right.