Author Topic: No Excuses  (Read 85768 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: No Excuses
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Why does it take clubs like Essendon, Carlton, Geelong, Hawthawn, Collingwood,and The Eagles (look at their resurgence) no time at all to play finals, no rebuilding, no excuses about development, no excuses...WHY, why cant we do it and stay there.

Carlton - surely you jest. The won a couple of wooden spoons, had how many number priority & one draft picks (Gibbs, Murphy to name 2) and have taken close to 5-6 years to get to playing finals over a 3 year period.

Hawthorn - well hello IIRC were bottom of the ladder with us back in 2004. Roughead & Franklin picks 2 & 4 in a draft.... nah they didn't re-build

As I said re Geelong go back to 2005 Thompson was close to losing his job because of their lack of success in his first couple of season. Their re-build came on the back of some stunning Father son picks and good recruiting dept

Agains go back to my previous post about Collingwood - sorry they re-built

Want me to go on?

They all have built up their lists and developed young players.

Biggest difference between them and us.

Resources - they poured resources into recruiting (we've only been doing it the last 4 years) and development

And while having success they make sure the plan and develop their next crop of players for the future.

Look at the Eagles, what a prime example, now they went from botton 6 to top 4 in a season.......why cant we do that, because we accept the crap the team dishes up and the WC faithful dont, neither does Worsfold or the administration.

The WC Eagles will be looking to win the flag this year and we should be playing finals....simple as that!!!!

The Eagles ...hmm sorry they re-built they said it!!!!

All through 2010 Worsfold said he was building a list for the future. That's what he said and in the process he accepted the "crap that was dished up" Since their last flag in 2006 look at the draft picks they had. They've bought in kids and developed them and they are now reaping the benefits

They also had the added bonus in 2011 of thier top line players actually being on the park - always helps  ;D

Why because they have the resources
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »
Essendon and St.Kilda are ripe for a HUUUUUUUUGELY enjoyable slide down the ladder next year. Oh yeah. As are Sydney IMO. North were no better than us last season, and we have more upside moving forward. Melbourne are overrated for mine.

There's plenty of room for us 5th-8th on the ladder.

Harden up and hold your resolve.

Exactly DD, thst is what we should be aiming for no more improvement/developmnet crap every year......FINALS FINALS FINALS!!!!!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:48:41 AM by WilliamPowell »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
Why does it take clubs like Essendon, Carlton, Geelong, Hawthawn, Collingwood,and The Eagles (look at their resurgence) no time at all to play finals, no rebuilding, no excuses about development, no excuses...WHY, why cant we do it and stay there.

Carlton - surely you jest. The won a couple of wooden spoons, had how many number priority & one draft picks (Gibbs, Murphy to name 2) and have taken close to 5-6 years to get to playing finals over a 3 year period.

Hawthorn - well hello IIRC were bottom of the ladder with us back in 2004. Roughead & Franklin picks 2 & 4 in a draft.... nah they didn't re-build

As I said re Geelong go back to 2005 Thompson was close to losing his job because of their lack of success in his first couple of season. Their re-build came on the back of some stunning Father son picks and good recruiting dept

Agains go back to my previous post about Collingwood - sorry they re-built

Want me to go on?

They all have built up their lists and developed young players.

Biggest difference between them and us.

Resources - they poured resources into recruiting (we've only been doing it the last 4 years) and development

And while having success they make sure the plan and develop their next crop of players for the future.

Look at the Eagles, what a prime example, now they went from botton 6 to top 4 in a season.......why cant we do that, because we accept the crap the team dishes up and the WC faithful dont, neither does Worsfold or the administration.

The WC Eagles will be looking to win the flag this year and we should be playing finals....simple as that!!!!

The Eagles ...hmm sorry they re-built they said it!!!!

All through 2010 Worsfold said he was building a list for the future. That's what he said and in the process he accepted the "crap that was dished up" Since their last flag in 2006 look at the draft picks they had. They've bought in kids and developed them and they are now reaping the benefits

They also had the added bonus in 2011 of thier top line players actually being on the park - always helps  ;D

Why because they have the resources

OK WP, I will agree with you, yep they rebuilt and now maintain their lists, pick the best players etc...Problem is we have been rebuilding since way befor all of them and they are well ahead of us......resources...players on the park...more excuses to me...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
Essendon and St.Kilda are ripe for a HUUUUUUUUGELY enjoyable slide down the ladder next year. Oh yeah. As are Sydney IMO. North were no better than us last season, and we have more upside moving forward. Melbourne are overrated for mine.

Exactly DD, thst is what we should be aiming for no more improvement/developmnet crap every year......FINALS FINALS FINALS!!!!!

Keep the cards close to chest.

I'm sure that the club is aiming high.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:50:06 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »

Keep the cards close to chest.

I'm sure that the club is aiming high.

:lol........I hope they are aiming high, ....I sure as hell am!!!! Finals or bust!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:51:06 AM by WilliamPowell »

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
so what are you gunna do wat, if the fairy godmother doesnt wave her magic wand to your satisfaction?

Move in with ramps?  :P
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
so what are you gunna do wat, if the fairy godmother doesnt wave her magic wand to your satisfaction?

What are you going to do al if we finish below GC and/or GWS, the Dees, Brissy, PA.....stilll say we are improving and developing...

"Rucks:

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
agree completely with WA Tiger, need to play finals next year, otherwise we are just going around in circles, as has been the case for the last 10-20 years.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »

What are you going to do al if we finish below GC and/or GWS, the Dees, Brissy, PA.....stilll say we are improving and developing...

Obviously, well to me anyway, if we finish below all those sides, we wont be improving, so i wouldnt say it :thumbsup

I would be very disappointed, but i wont be necking myself over it.
I will look for reasons as to why it happened, as i prefer solutions to retribution, but I wont be able to change a damn thing.

Your turn to answer...

Just to clarify WAT, a pass mark to me is to make the finals, because that is the goal set by the club, I just aren't getting my hopes or expectations up too much.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
agree completely with WA Tiger, need to play finals next year, otherwise we are just going around in circles, as has been the case for the last 10-20 years.

It looks like some are happy to do the circle work... :shh....and it seems some of us refuse to put up with another 20-30 years of crap....

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »

Obviously, well to me anyway, if we finish below all those sides, we wont be improving, so i wouldnt say it :thumbsup

I would be very disappointed, but i wont be necking myself over it.
I will look for reasons as to why it happened, as i prefer solutions to retribution, but I wont be able to change a damn thing.

Your turn to answer...

Just to clarify WAT, a pass mark to me is to make the finals, because that is the goal set by the club, I just aren't getting my hopes or expectations up too much.

Hey I won't neck myself either but hell are we going to say...it's ok we wre rebuilding and developing....crap no...we should be saying NO EXCUSES.

If finals is the pass mark set by the club then it should be the pass mark set by the supporters and if we dont get that pass mrk we should be peeed off. You should be getting hopes and expectations up.....we all should...no finals...failed year!!!

"Rucks:

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
Same here Jack. We have put the 500 games into the Juniors that we were aiming to do for the last two seasons.

I expect to see last years draftees, Conca, Helbig, Batchelor and Derickx all really come on. Same goes for Astbury, Griffiths, Post and Grimes. They have had two or more pre-seasons now to build up some extra size and strength (although more will come with age) to compete with bigger sides. Maric and Morris will hopefully add a bit to the side this upcoming season. Even our first pick in the draft this year, and possibly pick 26 can also be there in round 1, depending on the type of player we take with respect to their body shape/size. Foley should be much better after another full pre-season.

Last season, we were in front of Carlton at 3/4 time in round 1, we were within 15 points or so of the Pies late in the third quarter, we copped the Hawks on a dirty dirty night weather wise (does not help a young side, and we had Astbury and Grimes as our 2 KPD that night IIRC), and were far from disgraced against Geelong. We certainly should have beaten Bombers the second time around as well. We MUST start beating sides like the Saints, Bulldogs, Swans and Kangas on a consistent basis.

As WP has posted however, a very bad injury run with our better players will really hurt us. But, I do not accept that we have the worst depth of all the finalist possibles. Take the top 3-4 onballers (our best players are largely our on-ballers) out of any side, Cats and Pies included, and they will struggle IMO. We still have a number of listed players that need to be moved on, but contract status stopped that happening this trade period. That will be fixed next year when the draft pool is much deeper.

But I agree with WAT, no excuses for 2012. Should at least make the bottom reaches of the 8 After all, it is part of our 3-0-75 plan is it not??  ;D

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
of course there are excuses, just not many and even less that are likely.

as has already been pointed out a bad injury run, either in terms of quality or quantity will make it very difficult to win enough games to make the finals.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
WAT, chocolate  land has a 50% off sale at the moment
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.