Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 298181 times)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]
« Reply #2145 on: October 05, 2019, 08:12:57 PM »
Tom Browne (I know) reckons the AFL's secret recipe also includes what the player's current club is offering and not just what the other club has on the table (also includes the player's age and where the player finished in the B&F). He said our contract offer to Ellis was "very very modest because of significant salary cap issues created by recruits like Tom Lynch". So that's possibly the reason we only got a second rounder.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1180404392157044736

So that's the excuse Brown's been given by the AFL.

1) Contract offers from current clubs are irrelevant.
2) They are ambit claims. Negotiation is done on every contract.
3) Never been relevant before.
4) All free agents get bigger contracts from the receiving club to lure them
and
5) until now that is what compensation was based on.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2146 on: October 05, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
The thing that gets me worked up tho has the rules changed or I'm I missing something rules on the run.If they changed fair enough.Don't need to mention players for less money or same and there compensation.Pathetic worse then a chook raffle and a circus afl.Why should we be screwed cause of our success.Make no mistake this was started from a media beat up.

Only critism I have of Benny and Peggy is that we a to much yes men to the afl our club we don't challenge things like this.That response from the afl Benny put up shouldn't be the end of it.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2147 on: October 05, 2019, 09:26:48 PM »
TBH, I am surprised we are getting anything.

I’d have thought the compensation might have gone to the Suns for taking Brando off our hands!

Best of luck Brandon, I hope the move works out well for you.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2148 on: October 05, 2019, 09:32:13 PM »
The thing that gets me worked up tho has the rules changed or I'm I missing something rules on the run.If they changed fair enough.Don't need to mention players for less money or same and there compensation.Pathetic worse then a chook raffle and a circus afl.Why should we be screwed cause of our success.Make no mistake this was started from a media beat up.

Only critism I have of Benny and Peggy is that we a to much yes men to the afl our club we don't challenge things like this.That response from the afl Benny put up shouldn't be the end of it.
He already asked for a please explain from the AFL. What else could he do? Shouting and ranting and raving wouldn't change anything and would probably count against us in future decisions.

What they should do is tell you your compensation before you choose whether to match or not..... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2149 on: October 05, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »
Quite frankly, there should not be any compensation.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2150 on: October 05, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say. At least since that bloke who reckons Menadue is our best player.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2151 on: October 05, 2019, 09:58:21 PM »
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say. At least since that bloke who reckons Menadue is our best player.

I once heard someone say you don’t look at the ball when you kick it

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2152 on: October 05, 2019, 10:10:21 PM »

Who said that or are you deliberately antagonising due to grieving  :shh

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2153 on: October 05, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »

🙂

If you are referring to my comment, I should clarify it by pointing out that I was posting with reference to the preceding post. I should have been clearer but my statement was with regard to Free Agency in general, not the Ellis situation specifically.

I have never understood why the AFL feels the need to award compensation when a player leaves via Free Agency. It just stuffs things up even more.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2154 on: October 05, 2019, 10:43:02 PM »

🙂

If you are referring to my comment, I should clarify it by pointing out that I was posting with reference to the preceding post. I should have been clearer but my statement was with regard to Free Agency in general, not the Ellis situation specifically.

I have never understood why the AFL feels the need to award compensation when a player leaves via Free Agency. It just stuffs things up even more.
I don't mind it. From a club point of view, you invest 8 years of development into a player and if they leave as a free agent you get nothing for them.  If they are not a free agent the club can trade them for some draft picks. Why should there be such a difference?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2155 on: October 06, 2019, 05:59:17 AM »
The problem was we got shafted coz we didn’t fight to keep him
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Angry Tigers asked AFL to review Ellis compo (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2156 on: October 06, 2019, 06:04:28 AM »
Angry Tigers asked AFL to review Ellis compo

Sam Edmund
Herald Sun
October 6, 2019

Disappointed Richmond officials requested the AFL review the free agency compensation it received for the loss of Brandon Ellis as the league’s formula for awarding draft picks for the loss of free agents comes under fire again.

The Tigers were handed an end of second round pick for Ellis, currently No.39, after he officially joined Gold Coast on Saturday.

As revealed by the Herald Sun, Ellis has accepted a five-year, $3 million deal to join the Suns.

It was a contract the Tigers had hoped would net them an end of first round compensation selection, which would have been pick 20 given Richmond’s premiership status and the Suns’ freshly awarded priority pick.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale revealed the Tigers were so unhappy with the compensation, the club urged the AFL to review it.

“We were very dissapointed with the offer of a 2nd Rd pick for Brandon Ellis and asked the @AFL to review it. @AFL has since explained that the points allocated (based on age & average $$$), fell just short of the points required for the awarding of a 1st Rd pick in 2019,” Gale tweeted.

The AFL has refused to explain its compensation “formula”, which is said to be based on age, salary and contract length, but can be altered at the discretion of a committee.

The Ellis pick has many scratching their heads given recent cases at other clubs.

West Coast last year got an end of first round compensation pick for losing Scott Lycett to Port Adelaide on a deal widely reported to be exactly the same — $3 million over five years.

Like Richmond, the Eagles were premiers. Like Ellis, Lycett was 26. Yet there is 19 draft picks difference.

Steven Motlop signed on for less at Port Adelaide when he left Geelong at the end of 2017.

Motlop accepted a four-year deal worth around $2 million, leading to a belief the Cats would get an end of second round pick (No.35) to compensate.

When pick 19 came back there was surprise. When the Cats used pick 19 to bring Gary Ablett home there was cynicism.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afls-free-agency-compensation-under-fire-after-richmond-received-end-of-second-round-pick-for-brandon-ellis/news-story/b49a50288628cea4356f8797eaa4231b

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2157 on: October 06, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
Disappointing, in other words they are making an example out of us after letting it go the last couple of years.
Amazingly no one can handle Tiger Time  :gotigers but is   :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2158 on: October 06, 2019, 09:00:35 AM »
AFL must be the most incompetently run major sporting league anywhere in the world.

Seriously, no consistency whatsoever.

We don’t need the compensation but it is the principle involved.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2159 on: October 06, 2019, 09:18:19 AM »
Wowee!

Just blatant cheating by the AFL.

But truth be known, if we were offered pick 39 for Bellis in a normal trade it would probably be about right for him... not really the point but we just won our 2nd Premiership in 3 years so I’m not really too upset about it.

Good luck Bellis.