Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 293706 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ellis it is
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 04:01:40 PM by one-eyed »

dwaino

Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »
CRUMPET!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
Brandon ELLIS (Colder Cannons)

DOB: 3/8/93. Ht: 182cm. Wt: 83kg.

Pos: Medium defender.

"Brandon's got an outstanding workrate and was All Australian this year. His best position is probably half back where he sits behind the ball but he can also go into the midfield. I was saying to someone that when I talk to the summer training list next year, I'll say that if they want someone to model themselves on, then you should choose Brandon. He's a super talent and I reckon he's ready to play senior footy." - Calder Cannons coach Martin Allison.
Vic Metro representative 2011. All Australian 2011.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mlgowvmA8
U18 Champs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSJRJMfSLY

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
Go tiges!
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
Welcome crumpet!  ;D

Ox

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
a 182 cm HBF?

Show me the money

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Ellis springs
By Callum Twomey
Tue 18 Oct, 2011

IT IS hard to imagine there was a more interesting, likeable character at this month's NAB AFL Draft Combine than Brandon Ellis.

Ellis looks likely to be selected in November's NAB AFL Draft after a stunning 2011 season with the Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup. No wonder when we meet he carries the wide grin of a boy on the cusp of achieving something he has been working towards for much of his life.

Ellis' draft chances catapulted after a superb season. After 13 games for the Cannons as a bottom-age player in 2010 - including their TAC Cup premiership win - Ellis played 16 games in 2011.

A tough and skillful medium-sized defender, he had a standout NAB AFL Under-18 Championships with Vic Metro and was named in the All-Australian Under-18 team. And, at last week's NAB AFL Draft Combine, Ellis only strengthened his claims with some brilliant testing.

His results reflected a player confident and comfortable. His standing vertical jump of 70cm put him in the top 11 per cent of those tested, and his running vertical jump (83cm) rocketed him into the top 4 per cent. He ran 3.05 seconds over 20m, 8.14 seconds for the agility test, and scored 15.4 in the shuttle run, placing him in the top 4 per cent.

He's not particularly big - he stands 181 cm (about the size of Geelong's Joel Selwood) - but he's strong and well-built and would seem ready to play next year if selected.

However, it is not just his football and his athleticism that have impressed many recruiters. His character is just as impressive.

Full article at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125249/default.aspx

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
Looks more like an outside 'hard at it' mid than one with finess.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
so,181or 182?

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »
CRUMPET CRUMPET CRUMPET!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
Cannon Brandon Ellis on target for AFL draft

by: Jay Clark
    October 29, 2011

CALDER Cannons defender Brandon Ellis quit football to be with his ill father.

Dale Ellis had always been the biggest supporter of his son's AFL dream.

But when doctors said his odds of surviving a second cancer battle were slim two years ago, his son pulled out of the Calder program.

Football suddenly seemed irrelevant compared to his father's health.

"I didn't want to play any more, that's how much it affected me," Ellis said.

"All I wanted to do was spend time with him, because I didn't know how much longer he had left."

Dale Ellis, however, saw the situation differently.

While fighting the disease, he convinced his son to return to the game he loved.

For Ellis, the plea from his father was the "turning point" in his football journey.

One that has ultimately lifted the tough 181cm rebounding defender with a thumping kick into firstround calculations in next month's draft.

"Dad said 'this game has been the love of your life, don't quit. Do it for me'," Ellis said.

"It was all the motivation I needed and from then on I just completely dedicated myself."

Likened to Collingwood's Heath Shaw, Ellis's ability to shut down opposition small forwards with his stocky frame and repel with force has major appeal.

When the Cannons win the ball, they instantly look to Ellis to launch it upfield.

At the national championships, he averaged 76 per cent disposal efficiency, and was involved in more scores than any other defender, according to Champion Data, earning All-Australian honours.

Every club, except Carlton, is believed to have interviewed him.

On draft day, after his name is called out somewhere in the top 25, a special moment beckons with Ellis's dad and mother, Nancy.

The 18-year-old is grateful his family, with the help of a hospital counsellor, was able to turn him around.

"Dad is my right-hand man. He is the most supportive person you could imagine," Ellis said.

Which is why, when the pair used to kick in the park together, the big Roos’ fan, who grew up in North Melbourne, was able to develop a powerful kick on both sides of his body.

"Dad taught me not just to kick on my right. He said you had to be able to kick on both sides," Ellis said.

For Christmas, when Ellis needed to improve his endurance, he received a heart-rate monitor.
It paid dividends.

"You got to see how hard you were working so it was very beneficial for pre-season, and being able to push yourself harder," he said.

"In games, I was able to concentrate for longer periods and put in harder efforts for longer."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cannon-brandon-ellis-on-target-for-afl-draft/story-fnau1fjg-1226180132534

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Whats with the crumpet ! :-[
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »
Hot prospects: Brandon Ellis
By Jason Phelan
Sun 30 Oct, 2011

Club: Calder Cannons, Victoria
Date of birth: 03/08/93
Height: 181cm
Weight: 83Kg
Draft range: 12-20

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Ellis tested in the top 10 per cent in both the standing and running vertical jump, which is a big part of why he's so strong overhead. He also showcased his elite endurance by running a 15.4 beep test and a 10:32 3km time trial. He scored 25 out of 30 in the Nathan Buckley kicking drill, which placed him equal ninth overall.

Jason Phelan says: Ellis has the sort of competitive streak you love to see in a player. He reads the play well off half-back and has the smarts and the ability to find a teammate further up the field, but can also go into the centre square where his strength in the contest is a feature. In a display of his courage, durability and work rate, Ellis collided heavily with a goal post during the Cannons' semi-final win against the Jets, but recovered to take a strong mark running back with the flight of the ball just minutes later. Was named in the TAC Cup Team of the Year.

Kevin Sheahan says: Ellis averaged 18.2 disposals at 75.8 per cent effectiveness at the U18 championships. He is a well-built defender who reads the play well, is team-oriented, and an excellent kick. Was named U18 All-Australian. From West Coburg FC.

In his own words: I'm a hard-working, selfless, committed, strong and passionate player who will do anything for my teammates on the field while playing my role for the team.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=125508

Offline Balmyarmy

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
Wondering the same thing?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »
Jack Riewoldt was put in charge of putting names on the back of the training shirts for the trip to Arizona. As he didn't know the name our of first draftee he said he was going to put "Crumpet" on it so the kid we picked up would be nicknamed 'Crumpet'.