Author Topic: Todd Elton  (Read 74962 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Todd Elton
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
Elton it is.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:51:52 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 26. Todd Elton
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Todd ELTON (Dandenong Stingrays)

DOB: 29/4/93. Ht: 197cm. Wt: 92kg.

Pos: Tall forward.

"Todd is a 197cm ruckman-forward type who is very athletic, great below his knees, has a good capacity to run and has good speed for his size. Has lots of developing to do, mind you, but that's not a downside, that's just where he's at. He's got to be able to overcome players who are physical on him and I think he started to learn that towards the end of the season when opposition teams were putting their best backman on him and really challenging him. He's certainly going to be a project player but there's lots of upside because of his height, agility and adaptability." - Dandenong Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats.
AIS/AFL Academy member 2011. Vic Country representative 2011.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvErdm82Qs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »
Hot prospects: Todd Elton
By Jason Phelan
Mon 31 Oct, 2011

Club: Dandenong Stingrays, Victoria
Date of birth: 29/04/93
Height: 197cm
Weight: 92kg
Draft range: 15-30

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Elton tested very well in the vertical leap drills, with his 89cm jump off his left foot putting him in the top 2 per cent at the combine. His time of 2.93s in the 20m sprint is exceptional for a player of his height. He scored 25 out of 30 in the Matthew Lloyd clean hands test, which placed him equal ninth overall.

Jason Phelan says: Elton's draft stocks waned a little on the back of an average showing at the national carnival, but it was later revealed he was struggling to overcome an infected spider bite on an elbow. He was used in the ruck and up forward at TAC Cup level, but he will benefit from becoming a permanent forward at an AFL club. Elton has an excellent burst speed that can give him separation from a defender. He's still learning how to use his big frame in a one-on-one situation, but showed a glimpse of what he's capable of with nine contested marks against Bendigo in the last round of the TAC Cup season.

Kevin Sheahan says: Elton was an AIS-AFL Academy member and Vic Country U18 representative. He is good below the knees and disposes of the ball effectively. Shows great character and leadership, averaged 12.6 disposals and six marks for the Stingrays this year. From Somerville FC.

In his own words: I am a tall, hard-working, mobile player with excellent marking skills. I'm very athletic with great skills below my knees.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125523/default.aspx

10 FLAGS

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »
Good pick IMHO.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
Blue insight
By Ashley Browne
Tue 15 Nov, 2011

TODD Elton has yet to play a game of league footy. He doesn't even know what club's colours he will be donning in 2012.

But football has been all-consuming for several years and the 18-year-old from the Dandenong Stingrays will enter the AFL system having had the perfect grounding.

Elton has played for Frankston High School, three different junior clubs - Tyabb, Frankston Dolphins and Somerville - Vic Metro and Vic Country and has been through the AIS program.

As part of the AIS program, he spent a week at Carlton. That was the eye-opener that perhaps more than anything has him ready for whichever club calls out his name at next week's NAB AFL Draft.

"I got to see the environment," he said in a recent interview with AFL.com.au.

"Off the field they are really relaxed and talkative, which was good, but when it came down the training and the weights it was all business. They know how to switch on."

Elton cuts an impressive figure. Polite, thoughtful and well-spoken, he would fit right in at a league club. On first impression, he would appear to have the makings of a future leader and he has already held leadership positions with the Stingrays.

But when you chat, he also makes it clear that he has that bit of mongrel in his make-up. Like the blokes at Carlton, there's time for banter and time to work.

"I can do that," he says. "Off the field I'm a pretty bubbly person but once I cross the white line I'm all business. A bit of white line fever."

In looking at this year's draft class, or indeed that of any season, it's about which player each of the draftees resemble. Elton has been likened to Essendon's Patrick Ryder, a description that sits comfortably with the keen Essendon supporter.

But he'd like to think there was a touch of Nick Riewoldt in the way he goes about his footy. He's tall (197cm) and mobile with a big tank for a big bloke.

"They've both got similar attributes to myself. I have been complimented on my match endurance and I really like to use my tank to push up the ground ahead of the play," he said.

He tested well at the NAB AFL Draft Combine last month, with 2.93 seconds in the sprint and 8.2 in the agility test. Both are good results for a big man. His 13.5 in the beep test also made the scouts take notice and confirmed his status, in the eyes of AFL Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan, that he is a likely top 30 selection.

By his own admission, Elton was "a bit up and down" during the NAB Under 18 Championships, but he spent much of the middle of the season in and out of hospital courtesy of a spider bite. "I just woke up one morning and there it was," he said of one of the more unusual football-related injuries of recent times.

Elton is looking forward to throwing himself into football full-time. He has plans to study once settled into an AFL system but is looking forward to the short-term future where there won't be the need to juggle his year 12 studies with his football.

"Trying to juggle school and footy is hard. Footy can be demanding so you don't get as much time as you need for the study, but I've pushed myself hard and hope to do well in year 12," he said.

And nor does he have stars in his eyes about what life will be like as a young man earning a comfortable living in league football. If he makes it in the AFL, he is looking at an annual salary of more than $300,000 within five years, but he hopes and expects that the game, not the perks, will always be the thing.

"I don't like to think about the money side of it," he said. "The love for the game is what inspires me and the week I spent at Carlton is what confirmed it for me."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126125/default.aspx

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
Called it with our second pick.

Should be a versatile key pos option for us.

Happy with this.  :thumbsup

10 FLAGS

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »
I call it how I see it. I believe he can become a very good player with the right development and we have insurance now if Griffiths doesnt come on. Good pick here.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
Elton has been likened to Essendon's Patrick Ryder, a description that sits comfortably with the keen Essendon supporter.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »
Bad pick, he DJ's.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »
Bad pick, he DJ's.

If he turns out a bad pick then this draft will probably end up being a poor draft for us. :cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:31 PM »
Elton has been likened to Essendon's Patrick Ryder, a description that sits comfortably with the keen Essendon supporter.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Why these  :banghead

Lids used to follow Carlton for example

Who cares

Good pick by the Tiges this one  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
I agree with WP people put to much emphasis on who people followed before they got drafted.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
Actually know the bloke a little. Could see him going if offered

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »
Looks like another good pick up in the Vickery mould  :cheers