Author Topic: Ben Darrou [merged]  (Read 11612 times)

the claw

Re: Ben Darrou [merged]
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
reckon people are jumping up and down about the wrong thing here.
he doesnt have the right attributes to play afl thats pretty clear.  another in betweener in many ways. severe lack of pace condemns a bloke of his height and the role he performs to the grave yard.

nope the thing we should be asking is why we gave this kid a third yr on our rookie list. why cant we identify severe weakness in players. cmon people just think of the attributes most players will have that darrou will be asked to play against at afl level.

reckon if he could build a tank and find a bit of ball he could make an inside  midfielder at afl level thats probably his best chance but boy thats drawing a long bow.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »
he doesnt have the right attributes to play afl thats pretty clear.  another in betweener in many ways. severe lack of pace condemns a bloke of his height and the role he performs to the grave yard.

nope the thing we should be asking is why we gave this kid a third yr on our rookie list. why cant we identify severe weakness in players. cmon people just think of the attributes most players will have that darrou will be asked to play against at afl level.

reckon if he could build a tank and find a bit of ball he could make an inside  midfielder at afl level thats probably his best chance but boy thats drawing a long bow.

Before you rant, I've said I don't think he'll make it. But I think you have a major issue of focusing on the negatives. All players have them. It's whether his positives out weigh his negatives and if his VFL form is anything to go by, they do and he can match it with the best forwards he's played on. He never seems to be monstered and usually wins out against some of the best VFL forwards and the only way to tell whether that can be improved to AFL is to give him a go. He has done everything right

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 07:00:11 AM »
Before you rant, I've said I don't think he'll make it. But I think you have a major issue of focusing on the negatives. All players have them. It's whether his positives out weigh his negatives and if his VFL form is anything to go by, they do and he can match it with the best forwards he's played on. He never seems to be monstered and usually wins out against some of the best VFL forwards and the only way to tell whether that can be improved to AFL is to give him a go. He has done everything right

Pity he has to be elevated though, Club has made it clear they wont be elevating anyone else this year so Ben's chances are zilch

Woll be interesting what they do though. Don't think they can rookie him again (stand corrected if that's not right) so if they can't it's either put him on the senior list or he goes back in the draft
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
I rate a player's talent before a player's measurements and Darrou has more than enough of the former IMO. claw & Yeahnah probably  thought Josh Gibson was never going to make it either.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
I rate a player's talent before a player's measurements and Darrou has more than enough of the former IMO. claw & Yeahnah probably  thought Josh Gibson was never going to make it either.

Have to have a guess and that's what I did. Gibson has attributes that Darrou does not, not that I ever made a call on Gibson cause who really cares? Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »

Have to have a guess and that's what I did. Gibson has attributes that Darrou does not, not that I ever made a call on Gibson cause who really cares? Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion

Was merely mocking your opinion, didn't say you weren't entitled to it.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2014, 12:38:33 AM »
Why not come up with a rebuttal as to why I might be wrong instead of just mocking my opinion

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2014, 04:04:41 AM »
Why not come up with a rebuttal as to why I might be wrong instead of just mocking my opinion

I think you're wrong because of all the reasons you pointed out yourself in your post about his VFL performances and I see no reason to believe these things won't translate into the AFL  Also he's not quite as slow as everyone makes out - put it this way, he's no slower than Kelvin Moore was and at the very least will be a better version of him IMO. He doesn't get caught trailing 10 metres behind his opponent for a start. I also disagree with the view he can't attack or set up the play, he has vastly improved in this area, particularly this year.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:43:15 AM by Diocletian »

- Thomas Sowell

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »

I think you're wrong because of all the reasons you pointed out yourself in your post about his VFL performances and I see no reason to believe these things won't translate into the AFL  Also he's not quite as slow as everyone makes out - put it this way, he's no slower than Kelvin Moore was and at the very least will be a better version of him IMO. He doesn't get caught trailing 10 metres behind his opponent for a start. I also disagree with the view he can't attack or set up the play, he has vastly improved in this area, particularly this year.
Agreed.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »

:thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

:thumbsup
Is this a passive aggressive "thumbs up" or a true validation of Diocletian's reply?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
Validation. I can't argue what he said but I just don't think he'll bring it to AFL level so I don't have a great argument :lol

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »

I like him...as he is very attacking and links up extremely well out of defence. I would suggest he is averaging around the 15 - 20 possession per game and hits targets. Would love to see him given a chance as he has improved every year he has been on the list. Being the best FB in the VFL in your 3rd year is showing progress.

the claw

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2014, 06:50:12 PM »

na your wrong. its all about weather the negatives will allow a player to perform well at afl level. short and slow spells disaster for nearly all kpds at this level. third tall well hes going to play on the quicker talls going around.

we draft players based on their attributes. if i was looking for a kpd at junior level darrou wouldnt get a look in. doesnt tick the right boxes.
in saying that i too have said give him a try we have nothing to lose i just think like you he wont make it  and i reckon i give damn good reasons. i dont get the angst with people.

hes a rookie been a rookie for 3 yrs not managed one game  what the hell does that tell ya.he has serious flaws for the role people expect him to play, but  if some one voices em  your too negative.
being slow and short what tall fwd at afl level do you envisage him playing on. what outstanding attribute does he display that will compensate for the weaknesses. what role do you think he can play taking into account his weaknesses.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »
“I love watching ‘Bender’ (Darrou) play down there,” Jake King told ‘Roar Vision’.

“He’s the most polite kid I’ve ever met, but on the field, he’s probably one of the nastiest kids you’ll ever come across.

“He fires up, and he’s been really good.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-07-18/big-bad-ben