Author Topic: Ben Darrou [merged]  (Read 11376 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Darrou [merged]
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
reckon people are jumping up and down about the wrong thing here.
he doesnt have the right attributes to play afl thats pretty clear.  another in betweener in many ways. severe lack of pace condemns a bloke of his height and the role he performs to the grave yard.

nope the thing we should be asking is why we gave this kid a third yr on our rookie list. why cant we identify severe weakness in players. cmon people just think of the attributes most players will have that darrou will be asked to play against at afl level.

reckon if he could build a tank and find a bit of ball he could make an inside  midfielder at afl level thats probably his best chance but boy thats drawing a long bow.

Before you rant, I've said I don't think he'll make it. But I think you have a major issue of focusing on the negatives. All players have them. It's whether his positives out weigh his negatives and if his VFL form is anything to go by, they do and he can match it with the best forwards he's played on. He never seems to be monstered and usually wins out against some of the best VFL forwards and the only way to tell whether that can be improved to AFL is to give him a go. He has done everything right
na your wrong. its all about weather the negatives will allow a player to perform well at afl level. short and slow spells disaster for nearly all kpds at this level. third tall well hes going to play on the quicker talls going around.

we draft players based on their attributes. if i was looking for a kpd at junior level darrou wouldnt get a look in. doesnt tick the right boxes.
in saying that i too have said give him a try we have nothing to lose i just think like you he wont make it  and i reckon i give damn good reasons. i dont get the angst with people.

hes a rookie been a rookie for 3 yrs not managed one game  what the hell does that tell ya.he has serious flaws for the role people expect him to play, but  if some one voices em  your too negative.
being slow and short what tall fwd at afl level do you envisage him playing on. what outstanding attribute does he display that will compensate for the weaknesses. what role do you think he can play taking into account his weaknesses.
Sometimes out and out intense desire trumps every other attribute by a mile.
Look at Lenny Hayes for example. No real pace. Not great overhead. Not the greatest kick. Yet he was one of the most competitive beasts ever to put on a jumper in the AFL.
Through sheer will power he would get the ball and feed it out time and time again.  He would push himself to the limit.

So being an intense competitor can be more important than having "attributes".

Ps.  I'm not saying that having "attributes" isn't important as well. It's just not the be all and end all.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
Bravery leadership consistency composer influence etc.

Are mental attributes

Source: football manager

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »
he doesnt have the right attributes to play afl thats pretty clear.  another in betweener in many ways. severe lack of pace condemns a bloke of his height and the role he performs to the grave yard.

nope the thing we should be asking is why we gave this kid a third yr on our rookie list. why cant we identify severe weakness in players. cmon people just think of the attributes most players will have that darrou will be asked to play against at afl level.

reckon if he could build a tank and find a bit of ball he could make an inside  midfielder at afl level thats probably his best chance but boy thats drawing a long bow.

Before you rant, I've said I don't think he'll make it. But I think you have a major issue of focusing on the negatives. All players have them. It's whether his positives out weigh his negatives and if his VFL form is anything to go by, they do and he can match it with the best forwards he's played on. He never seems to be monstered and usually wins out against some of the best VFL forwards and the only way to tell whether that can be improved to AFL is to give him a go. He has done everything right
na your wrong. its all about weather the negatives will allow a player to perform well at afl level. short and slow spells disaster for nearly all kpds at this level. third tall well hes going to play on the quicker talls going around.

we draft players based on their attributes. if i was looking for a kpd at junior level darrou wouldnt get a look in. doesnt tick the right boxes.
in saying that i too have said give him a try we have nothing to lose i just think like you he wont make it  and i reckon i give damn good reasons. i dont get the angst with people.

hes a rookie been a rookie for 3 yrs not managed one game  what the hell does that tell ya.he has serious flaws for the role people expect him to play, but  if some one voices em  your too negative.
being slow and short what tall fwd at afl level do you envisage him playing on. what outstanding attribute does he display that will compensate for the weaknesses. what role do you think he can play taking into account his weaknesses.
Sadly for Ben, I believe claw will be shown to be right. Darrou won't make it as a key defender at AFL level. A in-betweener type that is not strong one-on-one in a contested marking duel for AFL level. He won't get a look in either at Richmond anytime soon with Rance, Chaplin, Astbury and Grimes ahead of him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
Gourdis?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2014, 01:10:46 AM »
Gourdis?
Darrou is a different scenario to Gourdis. The Goo had the physical size but didn't make it because he couldn't kick a footy to save himself.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2014, 01:45:26 AM »
If Kelvin Moore managed 87 AFL games then Darrou should play at least 150.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
Kelly Moore wouldn't get a game today.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »
Moore > Chaplin. IMO

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
Moore = Chaplin?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
Even with his injuries Moore was less slow and non agile

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2014, 12:58:07 PM »

Rance is still rubbish. Aye?

the claw

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »

Sometimes out and out intense desire trumps every other attribute by a mile.
Look at Lenny Hayes for example. No real pace. Not great overhead. Not the greatest kick. Yet he was one of the most competitive beasts ever to put on a jumper in the AFL.
Through sheer will power he would get the ball and feed it out time and time again.  He would push himself to the limit.

So being an intense competitor can be more important than having "attributes".

Ps.  I'm not saying that having "attributes" isn't important as well. It's just not the be all and end all.
your right on rare occasions intesity aggression etc can off set physical deficiencies. morris and robinson come to mind.
lenny hayes had and still has every single attribute you want in an inside mid,

mate he may be slow but the role he does doesnt require great pace. hes not expected to keep up with players on the lead. his motor as a inside mid is far more important than his pace or supposed lack thereof.
hes a ball winner with a huge tank who wins so much ball its crazy and he uses it well either by hand or foot, he may not be a great kick but he has always hit targets which makes him a passable kick. and hes has always had footy smarts. hes a great size for the role he is expected to play. hes was and always has been a very talented player ffs he was a top 10 draft pick either pick 7 or 11 if i remember cant be bothered looking it up.he has very good  attributes that more than offsets any weakness he has.

i will say again AS A KPD  imo Ben Darrou has two glaring deficiencies that cannot be overcome  for the role we want him to play. all the intensity and aggression in the world wont help in this.
look outside the square with him and try him in a role that would allow his strengths to come to the fore and offset what deficiencies he has,