Author Topic: Rookie pick #74: Piva Wright  (Read 12629 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rookie pick #74: Piva Wright
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »
Welcome Piva

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Rookie pick #74: Piva Wright
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
# 42 Melbourne - Piva Wright (Dandenong - Tall defender)

Might be a real bargain for these blokes to get a kid like this so late. Reminds of Mal Michael in every way. Quick, agile and reasonably good kid but when you watch him closely he is very good in traffic at making good decisions which as a back is so important bc the right one can put you into good transition spots. Also has an ability to push fwd albeit I would have him as a key back prospect.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894434
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:39:06 AM »
From Inside Football

Piva WRIGHT (Dandenong Stingrays)
DOB: 28/6/93. Ht: 191 cm. Wt: 94kg.
Pos: Tall midfielder.
"Piva is a Mal Michael-type with the broad shoulders, good pace but he still probably doesn't really how hard he's got to work still. Had some standout games against some really good opposition, including a magnificent job blanketing Jonathan Patton when we played the Eastern Ranges. Shows really good qualities for a key defender with his height and pace." -Dandenong Stingrays coach Graeme Yeats.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
Like the sound of the kid

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »
We are picking up some ready made units looking at the weight of these key talls in the rookie draft

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »
averaging kicking style. Bojangles will probably chip in and say "whoa, textbook technique" ;D

Like the sound of him down back

10 FLAGS

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
averaging kicking style. Bojangles will probably chip in and say "whoa, textbook technique" ;D

Like the sound of him down back

you forget the word prodigy ... bj will surely use prodigy here again.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
:lol

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »
This kid looks good. Could be the next Gaspar :shh
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 02:44:34 PM »
Francis Jackson on Wright:

"He's a tall, strong negating defender who we looked at because of his size and strength. He's a really strong spoiler and played some excellent games during the year. He often escaped notice because he was playing in defensive roles, but when we went back and looked at his tape we really recognised his defensive capabilities. He reads the game very well."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/127102/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
Pics:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »
Stingray learns to put faith in draft
By Roy Ward
Greater Dandenong Weekly
21 Nov, 2011

APPEARANCES can be deceiving - Dandenong North's Piva Wright will go into the AFL Draft on Thursday night blind to his chances of getting selected.

Despite a season in which the 18 year old won Vic Country selection and played in key forward and key defensive roles for Dandenong Stingrays, Wright has had little contact with AFL clubs.

But the advice of former Stingrays teammate turned Hawthorn player Mitch Hallahan has kept Wright calm about his chances.

"I was talking to him and he just said don't worry if clubs haven't spoken with you," Wright said. "Trust in them to pick you. It's all about being patient and believing it will happen. If it does happen it will be a dream come true."

The Hallam Senior College student, who finished his year 12 exams last week, said he hadn't spent much time worrying about the draft due to his exams.

But as the night draws closer he is starting to plan a way to watch the event without too much fanfare.

"I come from a very big family but I would prefer to watch it by myself," he said. "Most of my mates will be away at 'schoolies' - I think I will just lock myself away with one of my mates and watch it."

Wright, who has a Samoan background but was born and raised in Dandenong, is fully committed to a career as a footballer or if that fails to eventuate, he wants to be an English teacher, passing on his love for reading.

Again appearances can be deceiving as many people confuse him with a rugby player. "There is a Melbourne Storm academy at our school and they tell me to come over and play but my heart is in football," he said.

Wright said his season with the Stingrays had shown improvement but could always be better.

"I found more of the ball this year," he said. "They had me playing down back and up forward. They want to turn me into a 'swingman' who can play both roles which is good. I think I'm best as a defender but I will play anywhere as long as I get to play."

Stingrays Nick Haynes, Matt Buntine and Alex Benbow look likely to be picked in the draft. Wright said he hoped all his teammates would win selection.

"It would be amazing if all of us get picked up. I know I will enjoy seeing my mates get selected," he said.

http://www.greaterdandenongweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/afl-stingray-learns-to-put-faith-in-draft/2364397.aspx?storypage=0

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
unit, will be a monster after 2-3 afl preseasons.